A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I have the summer of '61 to hand and it was c&c's with BSK, SK, SK, SK, RSO, RF, FK, CK, BSK with a further SK, BCK detached at Plymuff.

The choice of dining coaches changed to replace the original GWR pair first used.

Edited by gwrrob

It was c&c Mk 1s from mid 1956 except for the diners.  The Cornish Riviera was almost always first in the pecking order for new stock and was the first named train to get a rake of maroon coaches when chocolate and cream was abandoned in 1962.

Rob has just saved me the trouble of reminding myself what the 1961 formation was.  IIRC it varied little during the 1950s except for when the GW diners were finally replaced by Mk 1s.  [Edit: I have just checked the 1961 cwp and the CRE was still booked to have GW diners!]

Chris

Edited by chrisf

Not rubbish, I'm sure, but you're certainly scribbling rather loudly!  ;)

I agree, on the plus side it's one of the few messages posted on this website that I can read without my glasses on!!!!!!

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Premium

I have the summer of '61 to hand and it was c&c's with BSK, SK, SK, SK, RSO, RF, FK, CK, BSK with a further SK, BCK detached at Plymuff.

The choice of dining coaches changed to replace the original GWR pair first used.

Thanks. Up or Down Rob?

• RMweb Premium

It was c&c Mk 1s from mid 1956 except for the diners.  The Cornish Riviera was almost always first in the pecking order for new stock and was the first named train to get a rake of maroon coaches when chocolate and cream was abandoned in 1962.

Rob has just saved me the trouble of reminding myself what the 1961 formation was.  IIRC it varied little during the 1950s except for when the GW diners were finally replaced by Mk 1s.  [Edit: I have just checked the 1961 cwp and the CRE was still booked to have GW diners!]

Chris

Ah, so maroon after 1962 then. Thats useful as I can now run both C & C and post '62 maroon.. yea. Post '62 probably with a stinking Diesel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Down me 'andsom. How will you work it through SJ ?

Oh tar very mooch duck. I shall have to consult my notes and try not to use Rule 1. I have evidence of an up CRE being hauled by a Spam thro The Junction. I've also evidence of a filthy Mogul working a down Royal Duchy or similar. :scared:  :mail:

Di Versions

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh tar very mooch duck. I shall have to consult my notes and try not to use Rule 1. I have evidence of an up CRE being hauled by a Spam thro The Junction. I've also evidence of a filthy Mogul working a down Royal Duchy or similar. :scared:  :mail:

Di Versions

I too am planning my own filthy mogul..

post-12721-0-29499400-1510520050_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Washout at Dawlush? ;)

Or would that be firmly in Rule 1 territory, comrade Duckski?

Yup Dellish is a washout, however my causes for diversions would happen east of Execeter. I've got several 'incidents' noted but ICBA to get off my arse and pick up the book that is just 6' away from where I am typing this :drag:  :declare:  

Edited by Mallard60022

Washout at Dawlush? ;)

Or would that be firmly in Rule 1 territory, comrade Duckski?

I tend to treat my railway in the same way as my cooking.....Roux 1 ! Its my own recipy and I'm gonna stick with it !

Mr. Pastry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I too am planning my own filthy mogul..

attachicon.gif2017-11-12_18.38.01.jpg

I've got an ex Geoff Brewin Mowgli that is a Comet chassis and bits under a Mainline(?) body. It is a featherweight so would need filling with lead (does it feel lucky?) I'm not sure if it is a correctly detailed loco either as it is numbered as a 93XX  (one at Swindon and one at Reading that would be OK; two of three left in 1959) at the moment IIRC. I think a 53XX, 73XX or more likely a 63XX would be more appropriate? Plenty of 63XXs at appropriate sheds such as Westbury/Bristol/Taunton. I shall search it out sometime to check the cab.

Phat

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yup Dellish is a washout, however my causes for diversions would happen east of Execeter. I've got several 'incidents' noted but ICBA to get off my arse and pick up the book that is just 6' away from where I am typing this :drag: :declare:

DOH! I know nuffin about geograffy :O

How about a strike by WR catering staff at Exexiter Stavids or which ever one was theirs...

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

I've got an ex Geoff Brewin Mowgli that is a Comet chassis and bits under a Mainline(?) body. It is a featherweight so would need filling with lead (does it feel lucky?) I'm not sure if it is a correctly detailed loco either as it is numbered as a 93XX (one at Swindon and one at Reading that would be OK; two of three left in 1959) at the moment IIRC. I think a 53XX, 73XX or more likely a 63XX would be more appropriate? Plenty of 63XXs at appropriate sheds such as Westbury/Bristol/Taunton. I shall search it out sometime to check the cab.

Phat

Thats an original Mainline one straight out of the box. I believe it needs weathering to the point where no livery is left visible, on account of it's shiny and rubbish. Have tested it on rolling road to make sure it worked before I put the effort in! Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Premium

Thats an original Mainline one straight out of the box. I believe it needs weathering to the point where no livery is left visible, on account of it's shiny and rubbish. Have tested it on rolling road to make sure it worked before I put the effort in!

Did that make it to Bachmann? If so, I'll admit to it being in my stock of ex ##R locos.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon you GWR/BRWR aficionados. (Like my Spamish?),

Has anyone got CRE formations for 1958 through to 1964 or can tell me where to look (apart from the Yahoo Group that I just can't get into at all)?

I suspect it was  C & Cs Mk1s from about 1960. It would be good to replicate a CRE for a diversion on SOSJ even if it were just for (say) Summer 1962.

Many thanks,

Phil 

Phil, I've got a number of carriage working programmes downloaded from Robert Carroll's BRCS yahoo group, which I assume is the one you are referring to.

I'll have a look when i get home tonight and if all the information you need hasn't popped up by then I will add whatever I can.

If you want a diversion try 1961, when there was a landslip on 21st August on the WR route at Lavington.  On Saturday 26th August several WR trains used the SR route between Plymouth and Reading, including the up CRE.  There was quite a chunk about the incident in the November 1961 Trains Illustrated.

Chris 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you want a diversion try 1961, when there was a landslip on 21st August on the WR route at Lavington.  On Saturday 26th August several WR trains used the SR route between Plymouth and Reading, including the up CRE.  There was quite a chunk about the incident in the November 1961 Trains Illustrated.

Chris

That's the one with a Spam on the up CRE I think Chris. Thanks.