A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

When I was in Smiths in Newton About this afternoon, it was all full price and completely sealed in tamper-proof plastic wrapping, so I was unable to peruse. Where did the £2 come from (perhaps I should have checked in Twopoundland).

Comrade P.U.Z. Zled.

According to folks on BH2 the discount is applied at checkout despite the cover price. BRM is only a quid too.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a copy of HM today. Very well written article and lovely photos to accompany it.

Also in your ‘next’ article think the N and BoB need a snap or two. Couldn’t see the 93xx Mogul either? ;)

Congratulations Robin on getting ANTB to a wider audience...

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Premium

When I was in Smiths in Newton About this afternoon, it was all full price and completely sealed in tamper-proof plastic wrapping, so I was unable to peruse. Where did the £2 come from (perhaps I should have checked in Twopoundland).

Comrade P.U.Z. Zled.

Have you recovered from being at NA dear boy? Was decontamination required?

V.Putin.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Even I've parted with readies and bought* a copy. I have yet to read it as I have been summoned to the living room to await vistors#

*Absorbed into the cost of the entire shop this week.

#I really do hope they are 'visitors' and. I'm sedated with no memory of the experiments (you've not met Nola's friend Paul, if you had you'd be begging for abduction too).

Edit: 

Paul managed to knock a picture off the wall and smash the glass in the frame... I say picture, it was a 300 year old print from an original engraving.

Glad he wasn't pissed is all's I can say  :scratchhead:

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

In our house we class any modelling connected purchases as essentials and if we have to have an empty fridge so be it.

BTW I won't have a bad word said about Newton Abbot, the teacakes I had there were delightful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What goes on in NA...Stays in NA....

There used to be a night club in the old railway yard off the Heathfield/Moretonhampstead line called Rafters that was commonly known as Shafters!!! :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a night club in the old railway yard off the Heathfield/Moretonhampstead line called Rafters that was commonly known as Shafters!!! :O

An abomination.

Have you recovered from being at NA dear boy? Was decontamination required?

G.Putin.

Newton Abbot was fine, compared with the rubbish day we've had today.

• RMweb Gold

What goes on in NA...Stays in NA....

I wondered why you moved to Yorkshire !

I'm looking forward to reading the review from our venerable Chris F.

Good.  No, that's not the review. This is the review.

I prefer the article in Hornby Mag to that in Model Rail for two reasons.  The first is that it is in the owner's own words and if it has been edited the job has been done with skill.  His personality, views and thought processes come across so much more clearly than in the interview format.  The second is that the reader learns more about the layout - there is coverage of the locos and stock, both conspicuous by their absence from the MR piece.  The photographs by Trevor Jones are as effective as those by Chris Nevard in MR in taking the reader to parts of the layout not always illustrated in Rob's forum posts but suffer from the addition of smoke effects.  Hornby Mag, you do this because you can but it does not fool anybody so don't do it.

I am impressed that Rob has taken the opportunity to be candid in places.  One that caught my eye was the reference to painting figures.  Not everyone would admit in print that the results of their own efforts do not please them.  So many of us must feel the same way.

Chris

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I am impressed that Rob has taken the opportunity to be candid in places.  One that caught my eye was the reference to painting figures.  Not everyone would admit in print that the results of their own efforts do not please them.  So many of us must feel the same way.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your kind words. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't do and always state the facts. Talking of the figures and Colin mentioned Mr Warburton yesterday, anyone know what happened to Rob the Purple Primer who used to post ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Roch Vegas, Staly Vegas....there seems to a theme in these edge of the Pennines towns.

Ponte Carlo is a new one on me, but it almost makes me want to look up a classy Air BnB council house understairs cupboard for a weekend break.

No, you deffo do not want to......................................unless 36E takes you fancy. Posh roiund here.

Phibber.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris for your kind words. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't do ###### and always state the facts. Talking of the figures and Colin mentioned Mr Warburton yesterday, anyone know what happened to Rob the Purple Primer who used to post ?

Nope. But I know another painter that can do a magnifico job.

Phloppy

• RMweb Premium

6022 King Edward 2 on the down CRE . All coaches bar one are kit built from Comet kits.

attachicon.gifimageedit_1_4791633799.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_5_5852186843.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_5_5852186843.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_6_4387022435.jpg

attachicon.gifimageedit_7_6487969461.jpg

Can we have a spot the not a Comet Coach competition with CK providing the prizes?

Many thanks,

Wibble Bogieboy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Love the CRE, almost makes me want to get the airbrush out and paint mine. Though I really ought to get the restaurant built first! Such a signature piece for a south Devon layout!

Unfortunately I can't model it in it's entirety much the pity but it would look pretty stupid on a layout of my size. Mine is just six coaches worth in the BTK,TK [C69],TK [C69],RTO,RF,BTK.

Edited by gwrrob

Unfortunately I can't model it in it's entirety much the pity but it would look pretty stupid on a layout of my size. Mine is just six coaches worth in the BTK,CK,CK,RTO,RF,BTK.

Hi, gwrrob and other Dons of the RMweb University. The limited real estate of one’s domicile, is always the curse of the modelling classes, particularly when modelling as close to the chosen prototype as possible.

In prototype situations, especially in holiday periods, even the GWR had to revert  to splitting trains  in two. This could be a partial solution to one’s dashed prototypical dream. The bonus of this, is that your split train will have two locomotives in steam and have other coach types! The consequences of this would create all sorts of shunting fun with terminus layouts.

Or am I scribbling rubbish?

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I can't model it in it's entirety much the pity but it would look pretty stupid on a layout of my size. Mine is just six coaches worth in the BTK,CK,CK,RTO,RF,BTK.

I know the feeling, my Brent is slightly longer but it is still constrained to either 7 or 8 coaches (probably the former).  The length of train is a tricky one, at the moment I have based it on how long I can fit in the fiddleyard (with the logic that in a photo you wont often see a whole train in one shot I hope it will hide the sillyness of a train filling the whole straight of the layout. 

I've gone for CRE sets in both directions.  

The centenaries will be LH BTK, TK, RF, RTO, CK, TK, RH BTK (with another CK which can be added between the CK and TK if it fits)

While the other set (mixed of Hawksworth and Sunshine) BTK, TK, FK, 70ft RC, CK, TK, BTK 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon you GWR/BRWR aficionados. (Like my Spamish?),

Has anyone got CRE formations for 1958 through to 1964 or can tell me where to look (apart from the Yahoo Group that I just can't get into at all)?

I suspect it was  C & Cs Mk1s from about 1960. It would be good to replicate a CRE for a diversion on SOSJ even if it were just for (say) Summer 1962.

Many thanks,

Phil