A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Mallard60022 wrote:

My 64XX Baccy Panniers require 6 Pin Decoders. I'd try a Hornby one but they are Baccy Loco's! I'd try a Baccy Decoder but have been 'warned' about them!

Somewhat off topic, but Hornby don't make 6-pin decoders, so that question is easily answered.

You don't, in general, need to match loco manufacturer with decoder manufacturer.  Ignore hearsay rumours and rely on evidence from someone who has used the decoder you want to use.

Edited by Podhunter

• RMweb Gold

So out of interest, where are the preserved 1366 loco(s) these days? Anyone know / seen them/it recently??

There's one in bit's on the South Devon Railway I assume it their own one 1369, it's laying at the bottom of the yard near the new carriage shed. 

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Robin

I wonder if the next time your 72xx is rostered you could measure the height (from top of rail to heighest point on cab roof)?

I am contemplating,yet again, getting a 52xx for Granby but I fear there may be tunnel clearance issues

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Robin

I wonder if the next time your 72xx is rostered you could measure the height (from top of rail to heighest point on cab roof)?

I am contemplating,yet again, getting a 52xx for Granby but I fear there may be tunnel clearance issues

Cheers

John

If Robin hasn't got an answer to you before hand, I may get a chance to measure mine tonight.

Will let you know if I do.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Robin

Cheers

John

51.50 mm John

• RMweb Gold

Smartass  :punish: don't get cocky dickie with me.  :jester:

That's a posh kind of soup, isn't it?

As opposed to a leekie cocky which is a sign of old age..........so I'm told.............

Nurse!!!! Fetch the screens!!!

• RMweb Premium

If Robin hasn't got an answer to you before hand, I may get a chance to measure mine tonight.

Will let you know if I do.

As long as you don't start measuring each others.

(sorry, somebody had to say it!)

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning Robin

Cheers

John

John,

Go for the 72XX - everyone knows that a HUGE tank engine never offends.

• RMweb Gold

Test running my 72xx after addition weight had been added and the conrods and slid bars repaired, 50 grams of lead was added to stop wheel slip with 30 wagons.

post-8647-0-37453000-1503479004_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Test running my 72xx after addition weight had been added and the conrods and slid bars repaired, 50 grams of lead was added to stop wheel slip with 30 wagons.

attachicon.gifWP_20170817_14_59_49_Pro (2).jpg

Now there's Youtube video worth watching, rather than pointless "box openings" and diesel TMDs with lots of sound fitted DMUs idling away.........

Guest 7007GreatWestern

John,

Go for the 72XX - everyone knows that a HUGE tank engine never offends.

Hi John,

I know you have a Bachmann 56xx. I've just lined up my two 72xxs against it and can confirm that the Bachmann roof is higher. In short, if your 56xx can clear the tunnel the 52xx/72xx certainly should.

Hornby designed the chassis of these locos in such a way that they have remarkable flexibility. If anyone is interested here's a video showing one of these behemoths successfully negotiating very tight radii right down 1st radius, with a fright in tow......

I'd also endorse M.I.B.'s point about the 72xx in preference to the 52xx. The 52xx and 42xx were mush more confined geographically mainly to South Wales, one or two around Bodmin for China Clay working, one at Ledbury for banking through the tunnel and were generally seen infrequently elsewhere. The 72xxs were also heavily concentrated in South Wales it's true, but often turned in places as far afield as Oxford, Salisbury and Shrewsbury (via the North & West Route). Of course one shouldn't loose sight of the fact that this is also supposed to be fun, so if you fancy a 52xx then go for it. ;-)

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 5

Guest 7007GreatWestern

On re-reading my previous post - "with a fright in tow....." and "mush more confined geographically".

Not having a good day today. Maybe a career at "The Guardian" beckons?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the next time your 72xx is rostered

It might be sooner than you think now I have something different in the pipeline to put behind her. ;) 

• Like 4