A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Should it be carrying lamps or discs?   Only reason for asking is that I'm not at all sure which it should be without doing a major photo delve.

As it was done by SR modeller deluxe, Graham Muz, it will be correct.

Talking of lamps though and I'm finally getting round to detailing the Bachmann shunters truck.Where were the lamps when shunting a rake of wagons ,when the truck was between the loco and the wagons. Were they red or white lenses ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As it was done by SR modeller deluxe, Graham Muz, it will be correct.

Talking of lamps though and I'm finally getting round to detailing the Bachmann shunters truck.Where were the lamps when shunting a rake of wagons ,when the truck was between the loco and the wagons. Were they red or white lenses ?

Ah, so you need pilot lamps, and obviously proper job GWR style of course.  

Simples.  As far as the engine is concered a single red lamp at each end - at the foot of the chimney at the front and on the top bracket on the  bunker on the back.  If a shunting track is attached to the engine then the red light at that end has to be move from the engine lamp bracket to the lamp bracket at the outer end of the shunting truck.

• RMweb Gold

Simples.  As far as the engine is concered a single red lamp at each end - at the foot of the chimney at the front and on the top bracket on the  bunker on the back.  If a shunting track is attached to the engine then the red light at that end has to be move from the engine lamp bracket to the lamp bracket at the outer end of the shunting truck.

I don't suppose you have a photo to share Mike. ;) 

Should it be carrying lamps or discs?   Only reason for asking is that I'm not at all sure which it should be without doing a major photo delve.

The only photograph that I can readily find of a SR engine on the GWR South Devon mainline shows niether lamps nor discs.  It is a Bullied pacific though so presumably any indication is shewn by the engines own electric marker lamps.  As an aside to this, was the arrangement of using SR engines on the GWR main line and GWR engines on the LSWR/SR line also a pre-war arrangement - I don't recall seeing any photographs or references to such workings before WW2?  It may well have been a wartime arrngement to keep services moving in the event of bomb damage that continued on after the war - I really don't know.

Where SR engines worked over the GWR elsewhere - between Dorchester Junction and Weymouth - they carried a pair of discs with one over each buffer which could be the equivalent of class A lamps.  This arrangement went back to LSWR days so far as I know.  The Portsmouth - Bristol trains running over the GWR from Salisbury carried the same headcode although the only photos I have seen shew the SR engines carrying lamps rather than discs.

I'm not actually sure if any of this helps!

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what sort of lamps you would use on this loco a couple of Tilly lamps maybe or a bonfire on the cab roof.  :rofl:

I was in tears of laughter when I set eyes on this Cuban Sugar Cane Factory railway more photo's to follow. 

post-8647-0-37280500-1496158083_thumb.jpg

Edited by 81C
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

As I'd already glued a lamp for branch use I'm afraid this is a compromise when shunting with 4870.I believe panniers were used at NA for this job.Smith's instanters  were used.

post-126-0-15236800-1496159985_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-42739800-1496160010_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-66548400-1496160034_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I've 2 shunters trucks one set up for shunting complete with a Dart castings shunter hanging off the side handrail and one minus the shunter and correctly lamped for travelling back to the shed.

Ivor Plenty-O'stock 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Seen near Wrexham in 1947

post-465-0-62489900-1496170044_thumb.jpg

No I cannot tell a lie....Western Canada 2017 earlier today

post-465-0-62180500-1496170074_thumb.jpg

That there is genuine Canadian dust......its still on the weathering line but at least now has engraved plates and the route indicator is correct colour and in right location.

Rob I do like your 14xx photos......you seem to be using the loco a lot. I am guessing you are as happy as I am with its running performance? I have found the more I use them the better they seem to run.

Best wishes

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

How about this for (front) Gated Stock it knocks the pants off the new Kernow one, it's a rail motor and was used for carrying the workforce around the plantation and yes it still running just.  :D  

post-8647-0-38660500-1496172182_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what sort of lamps you would use on this loco a couple of Tilly lamps maybe or a bonfire on the cab roof.  :rofl:

I was in tears of laughter when I set eyes on this Cuban Sugar Cane Factory railway more photo's to follow. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1161.JPG

Fantastic find, I'd be hugely worried by being anywhere near that when in steam. Looks fit to blow given half a chance.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic find, I'd be hugely worried by being anywhere near that when in steam. Looks fit to blow given half a chance.

I didn't rush to the front for that reason.

post-8647-0-81801600-1496223009_thumb.jpg

• Like 5