A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Best advice I can give is use lots of different shades,

Off the top of my head I have about 4 different modern image shades (western roof grey, rail freight, falcon grey and another.) GW wagon grey, and Phoenix roof dirt. Roofs on the real thing were always different shades due to the different paint times, weathering etc. So mixing lots of shades gives a really good effect.

Following Rich's advice I primed the roof with Halfords grey after masking.Great.Applied some Humbrol acrylic Sea Grey from their aerosol and then realised I'd masked over the sides but left the brown band at cantrail level so I've had to paint that back in using Precision coach brown.The roof is very light to my liking, does anyone know of a dark grey available in aerosol form please. I'm sure Halfords would do one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have laid off using grey primer for roofs for precisely that reason, i think it would need a couple of darker weathering washes to get an appropriate shade (though logically white must weather through a light grey stage on its way to the darker grey's that we expect to see.)

As for spray paints, I have yet to try with anything other than the airbrush (and my go to shade there typically is a mix of a couple of different tins of grey).  So far I have identified two good choices based upon matching modern locos against a Hawksworth coach roof.  The first is  Rustoleum Dark Grey (indicated as being a match for Railfreight Grey), its darker than the grey primer but still probably a touch on the light side for our purposes.  I have a feeling it would probably work well with a black undercoat (something I will have a go with on an old coach shell when I find a can.)    Another good choice appears to be Volvo Dark Grey (Halfords), the latter is posted as being close to BR Falcon Grey (ie Intercity dark grey), now comparing a couple of different RTR versions of Falcon grey against the Hawksworth, its a pretty close match.   My intention is to buy a can and give it a go tomorrow, so I will report back.

Worst comes to the worst, I am sure someone at RailEx will have the Phoenix or Railmatch carriage roof grey available.  Though I do find both firms aerosol paints rubbish in comparison to Halfords!  Assuming that I manage to get to the shops tomorrow (and they have the right shade in stock), I will try and get a coach sprayed up during the week and bring it along with me to RailEx...

• RMweb Gold

I have laid off using grey primer for roofs for precisely that reason, i think it would need a couple of darker weathering washes to get an appropriate shade (though logically white must weather through a light grey stage on its way to the darker grey's that we expect to see.)

Worst comes to the worst, I am sure someone at RailEx will have the Phoenix or Railmatch carriage roof grey available.  Though I do find both firms aerosol paints rubbish in comparison to Halfords!  Assuming that I manage to get to the shops tomorrow (and they have the right shade in stock), I will try and get a coach sprayed up during the week and bring it along with me to RailEx...

I've never got on with Precision aerosols otherwise I'd have bought their roof dirt grey. That Volvo dark grey sounds promising.They used to do mini aerosols too that were thrown away after using once but even those were poor compared to Halfords cans.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mentioning no names but there's a few on here that are fans of the GWR moguls. Thanks to Neil Dimmer on the E-list we have these fabulous photos to share.

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Churchward-Locomotives/Churchward-Tender-Locomotives/Churchward-4300-Class-Mogul/Churchward-Mogul/i-fLXKMmm

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know the feeling re the Phoenix,

The only reason I've been tempted to try aerosols again is how good I've found the Halfords black and wartime (russet) brown.

Car aerosols are my first choice but it's not so easy to match the names of the colours down here.

Car aerosols are my first choice but it's not so easy to match the names of the colours down here.

Another example of two great nations divided by the same language.

Do you still call car paint Duco? When we arrived in Melbourne in '69 the English didn't know what a condom was!! They were called a Durex, which everyone in Oz knows is a roll of cellotape. Most embarrasing for my young Bride.

Keep going with the shades of grey, lucky youre not in Victoria, they used to ban yucky things like that.

Loving the craic, Rich.

• RMweb Premium

Another example of two great nations divided by the same language.

Do you still call car paint Duco? When we arrived in Melbourne in '69 the English didn't know what a condom was!! They were called a Durex, which everyone in Oz knows is a roll of cellotape. Most embarrasing for my young Bride.

Keep going with the shades of grey, lucky youre not in Victoria, they used to ban yucky things like that.

Loving the craic, Rich.

Colloquially yes, but as a brand it's not seen much nowadays. The most common brand is Dupli-Color. Despite appearances, Duco is not an abbreviation for Dupli-Color as far as I can tell.

If you want to get rid of pencil marks make sure you ask for an eraser not a rubber...

• RMweb Gold

Colloquially yes, but as a brand it's not seen much nowadays. The most common brand is Dupli-Color. Despite appearances, Duco is not an abbreviation for Dupli-Color as far as I can tell.

My suspicion, confirmed by Wikipedia, is that Duco was a DuPont trademarked lacquer product from the 20s. I think I had heard it mentioned on a video about restoring GM FT103 (aka The Diesel That Did It), but this is all some way from ANTB!

That said I do believe his latter day cousin Juan Sheet may have something to say about it ?

W.Iper

Edited by bgman