A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Some afternoon delight opposite Station Approach.

attachicon.gif67.jpg

attachicon.gif68.jpg

attachicon.gif69.jpg

attachicon.gif70.jpg

attachicon.gif71.jpg

I'm glad to see Dr Creasy's Austin 7 hasn't left oil stains on your lovely tarmac ouside the booking hall. He's been spotted parking there quite a lot- is there something we should know.?

How did you produce the rounded capping bricks on the walls?

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

anchor ?

hat a difference toning down the shiny parts of the Star has made?

Yes and I painted out the brass beading using Precision green too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How did you produce the rounded capping bricks on the walls?

I'd like to say it's all hand carved from DAS etc but I'm afraid it's just the underused, excellent Townstreet walling plaster castings.

• RMweb Premium

Now then WR folks, 45XX Prairies... If a friend wanted to do 4569 in 7mm BR green which of the Lionheart RTR models would he choose? Neither me or my friend know enough about the Prairie variations and would appreciate guidance from the collective.

post-6675-0-54395500-1494354340_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-83939000-1494354211_thumb.jpg

The working assumption is that 4564 is a suitable starting point?

• RMweb Gold

Now then WR folks, 45XX Prairies... If a friend wanted to do 4569 in 7mm BR green which of the Lionheart RTR models would he choose? Neither me or my friend know enough about the Prairie variations and would appreciate guidance from the collective.

attachicon.giftmp_16260-rps20170509_192443663108976.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_16260-msg-126-0-34476700-14938246891035953731.jpg

The working assumption is that 4564 is a suitable starting point?

I thought you said Stop It ;) I've got a very nice, fat, juicy bloater that would go behind that beauty.A renumber to 4569 would be a doddle.No bufferbeam to renumber,job done.

• RMweb Premium

I thought you said Stop It ;) I've got a very nice, fat, juicy bloater that would go behind that beauty.A renumber to 4569 would be a doddle.No bufferbeam to renumber,job done.

It's information for a friend...

• RMweb Premium

You and your fat bloater again...

• RMweb Gold

Your friend should be commended as he has excellent taste in motive power.

• RMweb Gold

I think the " boat connection" was a ferry across the Mersey to the Landing Stage at Liverpool Pier Head . All the passenger vessels left from there. Ocean going Liners and ferries to Belfast and Dublin as well as the Isle of Man. The Landing Stage Liverpool was listed as the Terminus on some of the 1947 timetables.

'Northroader' has of course given the full connectional details but for further information the following train can be found in the Summer 1929 GWR Time Tables -

'The Isle of Man Boat Express'  leaving Paddington at 09.10, arriving Woodside 1.57pm, Liverpool Landing Stage arrive 2.07pm, depart 3.00pm, and arrive Douglas IoM at 7.00pm (weather and circumstances permitting).  The southbound service titled 'The Isle of Man Boat express' left Douglas at 09.00 giving a Paddington arrival at 8.05pm.

Through tickets to various GWR stations could be purchased from the IoM Steam Packet Co's office at Douglas and it was also possible to reserve seats at that office on one particular train from Birkenhead.  Through tickets to the IoM included the free conveyance 'of the usual amounts of luggage' to and from the IoMStP company's steamers at Liverpool Landing Stage.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

'Northroader' has of course given the full connectional details but for further information the following train can be found in the Summer 1929 GWR Time Tables -

'The Isle of Man Boat Express'  leaving Paddington at 09.10, arriving Woodside 1.57pm, Liverpool Landing Stage arrive 2.07pm, depart 3.00pm, and arrive Douglas IoM at 7.00pm (weather and circumstances permitting).  The southbound service titled 'The Isle of Man Boat express' left Douglas at 09.00 giving a Paddington arrival at 8.05pm.

Through tickets to various GWR stations could be purchased from the IoM Steam Packet Co's office at Douglas and it was also possible to reserve seats at that office on one particular train from Birkenhead.  Through tickets to the IoM included the free conveyance 'of the usual amounts of luggage' to and from the IoMStP company's steamers at Liverpool Landing Stage.

Thats very intriguing Mike.........I wonder why the GWR would market the IOM specifically......did they have a financial interest in the Steam Packet Co? Now I come to think of it I have a vague recollection the LMS may have had a financial connection (ownership?) with the Belfast and possibly Dublin equivalents.

Out of interest I checked the 1947 Summer Timetable and there is still the 9.10 am departure from Paddington but now it arrives at Birkenhead Woodside at 3.05pm ! Over an hour later than 1929. This listing shows only the one stop between London and Birkenhead.....at Chester 2.24pm.

Liverpool Landing Stage is also listed, in a separate section, as the terminus for the 9.10 am from Paddington but via Wellington, Shrewsbury and Wrexham (alias Granby) with no mention of Chester.........or the IoM

.Assuming that one train leaves Paddington does this mean the Liverpool Coaches would be detached at Wellington? All very puzzling although one clear conclusion...I need to change the coach boards on my London train!

My apologies Robin .....yet again I have strayed a long way from Devon......I hope that isnt a naughty step for geriatric Scousers?

• RMweb Premium

Nah, we're still talking GWR, even if Northern Division and never broad gauge, and the rest had to catch up. I think way back in the distant past, a train may have gone round the curve west of Chester, but the practice was for the Birkenhead trains to reverse in the station. Likewise the Wellington Crewe route via Market Drayton didn't see through workings beyond those places (passenger of course, freight was a different kettle of fish) The tenpast the hour trains from Paddington were for Birmingham and Wolverhampton, then if going further called Wellington Shrewsbury Gobowen Ruabon Wrexham to Chester. Presume the timetable you've got is a summary and misses bits out.

As to the LMS and the IoM, they may have preferred to route via Heysham?

Oh well, back down to Sunny Devon, thanks for your indulgence, Rob.

Edited by Northroader

And in breaking news, all nod to brenters have been abducted by aliens. Police are investigating the silence.

Never fear, Thomas will save them !

post-20303-0-49908800-1494584161.jpeg

Capt. J. Kirk

• Like 2

Why would you want to leave for Liverpool from Paddington - wouldn't Euston be a better choice ?

Alternative route and it provided intermediate stations with a direct train to Liverpool not served by the LMS.

There are many trains that serve long distance route that few if any travel throughout. I used to use the Kings Cross to Aberdeen service. At Edinburgh the train would almost empty and refill with locals heading north.

The Paddington Liverpool service was a Wolverhampton train that extended to Woodside. I would expect many of the passengers embarked at Stations in the Midlands.

You could also travel to Liverpool Lime Street in a Great Western coach via Shrewsbury and Crewe.

http://lowres-picturecabinet.com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/43/main/57/204357.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why would you want to leave for Liverpool from Paddington - wouldn't Euston be a better choice ?

Why would you want to leave for Plymouth from Waterloo - wouldn't Paddington be a better choice? :jester:

Never fear, Thomas will save them !

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Capt. J. Kirk

Thomas is too much of a wimp. Fortunately King Arthur has just turned up in Brent and he has much better local knowledge:

post-9751-0-90041200-1494590162.jpg

He will be available to help once he has finished his Brent photo shoot

• Like 12