A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That in my opinion is probably the best image you have ever posted mate. The only thing that would improve it is the appearance of a filthy mogul.....

This is probably the most realistic mogul shot I've ever posted..

post-126-0-64458100-1493147182_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

John, these were taken in 1950 in the Barmouth area according to the captions..

Rob.

Barmouth itself, in fact. The first is at the 'Excursion Platform' used for the Dolgellau shuttle (on which 5801 was a regular in the fifties before the Ivatt 2-6-0s took over) and which was separated from the main station platforms to the north by a level crossing and a superb footbridge. The gates would usually be left open for road and foot traffic on Sundays, with all services terminating in the 'Excursion', or 'Sunday' platform.

The familiar 'NIP-A-KOFS' advert can be made out on the gable end; was there such an advertisement anywhere else in the country, I wonder?

Cheers,

BR(W).

Definitely Barmouth. The second one was taken to the north of the station, just before the footbridge. You can spot the tower of St Tudwells church to the left of the dome of 5801.

• RMweb Premium

This is probably the most realistic mogul shot I've ever posted..

attachicon.gifcopyright Mike Roach..jpg

This is a very useful photo Rob - not so much for the train (nice though it is) but because it is probably the clearest picture I have seen so far of the spring point at the entry to a running loop. It confirms my choice, made with considerable input from Mike the Stationmaster, of a single-tongue type at the entry to Porthmellyn Road Down Goods Loop.

Thanks for posting it.

• RMweb Gold

Can I go back to this photo as it has me confused.What is the item in the background and is that a signal on the bridge,I'm not convinced it's Brent. :O 

post-126-0-88442000-1493220730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To me, it doesn't look like the signal is attached to the bridge.  There appears to be a post.  I think it is nearer the camera.

By 'item in the background' do you mean behind the 'Private Road' sign?  If so, it looks like a concrete water tower.

Our intrepid heroes speed to the rescue!

Sadly not at the present time as the Dynamometer Carriage has broken down ! :))

post-20303-0-67145000-1493232767_thumb.jpeg

S.L.Owdown

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Can I go back to this photo as it has me confused.What is the item in the background and is that a signal on the bridge,I'm not convinced it's Brent. :O

attachicon.gifcopyright Mike Roach..jpg7.jpg

Yes, definitely Totnes, looking across to the up side from the down side approach road.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Yes, definitely Totnes, looking across to the up side from the down side approach road.

At least you can still catch a train there.My old man used to jump off a moving train from the Midlands there.

• RMweb Gold

6417 seen on the embankment.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-29949400-1478626548_thumb (2).jpg

It looks as though it's about to snow- not that unusual for this time of year!

Ps I've just seen that mremag 'have your say' is back : I hope that doesn't reduce the wit and repartee we enjoy in the environs of Brent!

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

It looks as though it's about to snow- not that unusual for this time of year!

Ps I've just seen that mremag 'have your say' is back : I hope that doesn't reduce the wit and repartee we enjoy in the environs of Brent!

I can't see the MRE website have any bearing on ANTB the moaners who are on RMWeb normally have a field day on that site other members are more refined.  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's likely to be quiet on here over the weekend as most of its followers are at some shindig in Somerset I believe.

We accept non-Swaggers too, as long as they are well behaved.

• Like 1

It's likely to be quiet on here over the weekend as most of its followers are at some shindig in Somerset I believe.

Now you've really got me worried.

I know I'll be there with Helstonish.

But I was hoping that the rumoured ocean mail special might keep ANTB highbrow officionados away so as not to put me under too much of a spotlight.

I was going to enquire whether you had the working times, as I could have popped round to see it pass Taunton?

All the best, and if any of the ANTB clan are at SWAG please say hello.

TONY