A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Duh ! Thanks Philth I should have thought of that !!! Off the back of the room for me then  :scratchhead:

D. Unce

Dunce? Nah! You will grow old searching through that stuff and I only thought of it during a moment of being awake....................... :crazy: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dunce? Nah! You will grow old searching through that stuff and I only thought of it during a moment of being awake....................... :crazy:

I spotted the photo's last week looking for details of a H33 restaurant car.  :declare:

M.Aster-Mind

• RMweb Gold

Back to 1947 and the local residents aren't impressed by 4870 shunting a siphon, however....

attachicon.gifDSCN0602 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0603 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0604 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0606 (2).JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0607 (2).JPG

....it will now run round and take the train to Kingsbridge.

You have captured so much atmosphere in the first picture, but are the Finching Sisters having a row?

I still imagine 4870 is green under all the weathering!

• Like 1

Whilst I'm at it, do any of the ANTB gang know of any photographs which show the interior of the GW Dynamometer Carriage ?

I have sourced a couple but they don't show it fully.

Hope you don't mind me asking here ?

Sorted, thank you to a certain ANTB follower, happy now.

• Like 2

Whilst I'm at it, do any of the ANTB gang know of any photographs which show the interior of the GW Dynamometer Carriage ?

I have sourced a couple but they don't show it fully.

Hope you don't mind me asking here ?

The last great Western Pictorial (Tony Sterndale) showed the full control room interior with Sammy Ell at the control desk.

Also this image on the net

http://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/wpimages/wp96e0b245_05_06.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

The last great Western Pictorial (Tony Sterndale) showed the full control room interior with Sammy Ell at the control desk.

Also this image on the net

http://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/wpimages/wp96e0b245_05_06.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Thank you Mike, thats one of those I had but much appreciated.

Grahame

• Like 1

You have captured so much atmosphere in the first picture, but are the Finching Sisters having a row?

"Look sister, I'm just saying that my copy of "The Nitpicker's Guide to GWR Locomotive Renumbering" clearly states that 4870 was renumbered to 1470 on 16th November 1946."

"Well we'd best pretend it's Spring 1946 then and not mention it to Robin if we want a quiet life......"

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"Look sister, I'm just saying that my copy of "The Nitpicker's Guide to GWR Locomotive Renumbering" clearly states that 4870 was renumbered to 1470 on 16th November 1946."

"Well we'd best pretend it's Spring 1946 then and not mention it to Robin if we want a quiet life......"

Dear Mr Nitpicker

I think it was Zach Plunkett who said that the layout was crying out for a wartime black liveried loco.... ;)

post-126-0-70718200-1492975310_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-60627200-1492975324_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-56300400-1492975338_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

NRM Archive maybe?

Philth

The problem with that lot is that don't know everything they have got when it comes to GWR stuff, particularly GWR official photos.  Steam at Swindon might have something (as York print batches of GWR negs and send them to Steam for identification) and I don't know if there are any stock drawings at Chippenham which seems to have all the Swindon M&EE building and fittings etc drawings.  The GWS might also be a possible.

The problem with that lot is that don't know everything they have got when it comes to GWR stuff, particularly GWR official photos. Steam at Swindon might have something (as York print batches of GWR negs and send them to Steam for identification) and I don't know if there are any stock drawings at Chippenham which seems to have all the Swindon M&EE building and fittings etc drawings. The GWS might also be a possible.

Thanks Mike, that was another on my possible avenues to follow up.

That said I have a few very useful photographs now kindly sent to me, and to be perfectly frank, the interior will be a representation in my carriage as you may be aware most of it wouldn't be seen at 4mm scale but, it's nice to know something could be seen to represent it.

Thank you,

Wm. Dean - 4mm Works Superintendent Yeoford

p.s. Isn't always the way when you start summat one comes along, albeit from another region !

http://www.hornbymagazine.com/2017/04/13/rails-launch-lner-dynamometer-car-for-oo/

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Gold

If thats leftovers, can I be 1st with a doggy bag?

TONY

Flattery will get you anywhere,we haven't see your Ocean Mails coach for a while.Perhaps with a Bank Holiday coming up.... ;) 

• Like 1

The last view under the tree is nice. Sort of needs the classic bike leaning against tree / hedge / fence and ladies with picnic to finish it off.

Or even:

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,

A Jug of Wine, A Loaf of Bread - and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness -

Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

Cheers,

BR(W).
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Or even:

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,

A Jug of Wine, A Loaf of Bread - and Thou

Beside me singing in the Wilderness -

Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

Cheers,

BR(W).

I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking please. Hic.