A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

In fairness Mr Bulleid designed the Q1 for ease if maintenance.

I note in particular the accessibility to the large twin cylinders which appear quite prominent in this view. One thing noted by the crew,especially when running at speed, was the somewhat rough ride due to the reciprocating mass of said large cylinders. Apparently once on the move they were quite difficult to slow down and it was a case of hanging on for dear life. Many a crew emerged from such a trip older and somewhat wiser. L

post-14122-0-44583300-1486454718.png

• RMweb Premium

The scene....An industrial drawing office...  morning tea break,  one (of 10) draughtsman is 21 today.

Another, a keen photographer, in the days before Photo-copiers, has photo'ed,  printed,  enlarged and framed a similar picture from a "Top Shelf" magazine.

On presenting said portrait to birthday boy, he examined it carefully, then inverted the frame and tapped it, hoping for Fall-out!

Ah, MRJ. never fails to give pleasure and cause a stir.

Ar$e

• RMweb Premium

Emergency alert. Please remember that this year is the retirement year of Robert Denton of RMLectronics, the manufacturer of the wonderful layout lamps. I was reminded of this today when he sent me some lovely little 'extra' parts (telegraph pots and beams) for my SOSJ yard lamps.

There is no longer a website, however there are references on RMW.

Just for info. Order now or be too late. The lamp-posts are the doggy's doodahs. 

ED Yson

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, Rob.

A very trim little craft. What you want is a nice little shunting layout based on a couple of Swedish shelves.......go nice on the dining table......

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by this photo and talking to Spams about 1368 at the weekend has got me getting my old DJH kit built tank out.The Heljan model will hopefully sit alongside for comparison and obviously have better running qualities.

attachicon.gifWeymouth boat train '51..jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9938.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9941.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9943.jpg

Is that Elephant Man carrying his boots in the first photo ?

The Heljan 1368 looks so much better than the prerelease photos but I have to resist the temptation!

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, Rob.

A very trim little craft. What you want is a nice little shunting layout based on a couple of Swedish shelves.......go nice on the dining table......

Rob.

A Tim Horn baseboard would fit the bill nicely.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is the Heljan one not a bad model, number plates to be replaced and the cab hand rails which I broke them trying to tweek them straight,

it's in bits at the moment I've crew to put in the cab and it's all glue up with no access I'm sure it will be sorted soon I'm paring away the gaps in the floor a bit at a time.  :butcher:   

post-8647-0-94034900-1486489845_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

That first shot of Weymouth Quay is evocative,Robin.Is there a date on it ? It's a typical early WR consist....or is it possibly GWR,though I don't think so. I'd date it 1949-51,looking at the clothing styles and the cars.

1951 Ian.

• RMweb Premium

1951 Ian.

If you hover your mousey (absolutely no sniggering please) over the pic it often shows the info about the picture. This one does nicely and so I saw it was '51. What a superb photo and a great shot of a section of the line not often shown.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

A Tim Horn baseboard would fit the bill nicely.

Ah! Indeed. If I was a carpenter.......or am I thinking of Tim Hardin.....?

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you hover your mousey (absolutely no sniggering please) over the pic it often shows the info about the picture. This one does nicely and so I saw it was '51. What a superb photo and a great shot of a section of the line not often shown.

Phil

Actually,my "little grey cells" (stiil functioning) did the work for me....well you can't do much from an iPad anyway.I put it down to Radio Malt and cod liver oil capsules enhancement of memory cells.....plus too many of those years spent on Swansea High Street and Cardiff General.Once a war baby......

And ny wife just dated it with unerring accuracy to 1951 using the fashions and cars as a guide.She is no rail enthusiast but whilst courting managed a bout of seasickness crossing from one side of Weymouth Harbour to the other (1965).

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Played a character named after a loo roll.

"Bronco for the bigger wipe".........rough on one side, shiny on the other, and seemingly non absorbent......similar to Izal aka "John Wayne" because it took no sh*t from anyone.

• RMweb Gold

"Bronco for the bigger wipe".........rough on one side, shiny on the other, and seemingly non absorbent......similar to Izal aka "John Wayne" because it took no sh*t from anyone.

' If that's what Jeyes call soft...." ( overheard at a wedding reception in 1972 )