A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Reading on Rob's WD thread and our Captain K has his new layout named  ******** ******* Any clues to filling in the asterisk blanks ? :read:

It obviously fell foul of the naughty words filter.

• RMweb Gold

Reading on Rob's WD thread and our Captain K has his new layout named  ******** ******* Any clues to filling in the asterisk blanks ? :read:

Sorry Robin, but it's Official Kernow Policy not to name the layout until the baseboards are actually in existence, which at the moment they're not.

I am, however, continuing to build pointwork, and have this afternoon been gluing cosmetic plastic chairs to an A5 crossover. This activity will probably take me some time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tis on my puter Rob. It's the BR Auto Coach that you all love and admire. 39-579

Ta

Ducky

Talking of autocoaches/trailers.I found this filthy one taken in '47 at Stratford- Upon -Avon

post-126-0-17192500-1486139471.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

And a corridor connection......never seen that before.

I'm racking my brain for the reason, as I know it was mentioned on the didcot rmweb tour the other year (they have one there running with the steam railmotor)

Unless that was the reason. Brain is not working st the moment...

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I do like a filthy Auto. That's a juicy long one with neat looking bogies and turnbuckle underframe as well.

Cool

P. Ushanpull

Them's 'merican bogies them is - lovely things to ride on and steady as a rock at 60mph (which considering the vehicle I rode in which was atop them only turned out when there was something to put back on the rails was probably even more remarkable and no doubt rather old to say the least).

There's a very nice gangwayed auto-trailer at Diddlycot - it seems to spend its working life being pushed and pulled by the steam railmotor and is also very nice to ride in but doesn't get up to anything like 60mph.i

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

I'm hoping Chris F can enlighten me on that score.

I hope so too.  While I go upstairs to find my books, note that the one pictured at Stratford is the one preserved at Didcot [92] which runs with the railmotor.

Chris

Oh how I enjoy rummaging in books!  I'm going to have to come back to this topic later in the weekend but so far it seems that it was only the 70 ft trailers, and by no means all of them, that were fitted with gangways.  Some of the earliest trailers acquired them in 1912 and spent most of the rest of their lives shuttling in pairs between Plymouth and Saltash.  Some of the trailers given gangways were intermediate, ie they had no driving compartment.  Whether any railmotors had gangways is a good question but it would be surprising if some at least were not thus equipped.  That will be in another book though.

Watch this space ...

Chris 

• RMweb Gold

I hope so too.  While I go upstairs to find my books, note that the one pictured at Stratford is the one preserved at Didcot [92] which runs with the railmotor.

Chris

You're not wrong there young man.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70812-gwr-autocoach-92-back-in-action-at-llangollen-now-with-more-photos/

post-126-0-07350100-1486152938_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-97441100-1486152950_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Them's 'merican bogies them is - lovely things to ride on and steady as a rock at 60mph (which considering the vehicle I rode in which was atop them only turned out when there was something to put back on the rails was probably even more remarkable and no doubt rather old to say the least).

There's a very nice gangwayed auto-trailer at Diddlycot - it seems to spend its working life being pushed and pulled by the steam railmotor and is also very nice to ride in but doesn't get up to anything like 60mph.i

That's right Mike. The equalising beams really do improve the ride, especially on less-than-perfect track - which is why they were so popular in the USA (remember too that American railroads/railways often used staggered rail joints, which could set up a roll quite easily).

That's why BR coaches on Commonwealth bogies ride so well too. The downside is the extra mass of the beams of course.

• RMweb Premium

The amount of times I saw those Saltash Stinkers, especially with two up front and two at back of some 64XX and yet I have no memory at all of how the coaches were linked if at all and only a memory of the things galloping through Devonport and occasionally resting at the west end of North Road (didn't venture down that end that often if I was spotting there). I can vaguely remember hearing the 'Gong' sounding but I don't really know why it happened. Was it like a warning device?

T. Orpoint.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's a few shots of a moving diorama that Rob and I were rather taken with.

post-6675-0-54720800-1486220310_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-43804200-1486220329_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-19007800-1486220349_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-48250700-1486220362_thumb.jpg

One of the best examples of perspective modelling I've seen in a very long time. The scene is about 4' deep and starts off at 1:32.

A task for T&A is to identify everything in the photo...

• Like 14