A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff! The ground level shots on this part of the layout with the backscene trees behind are particularly effective. And the Hall looks handsome in the 1940s livery.

John C.

Me aansom indeed.

post-126-0-80264100-1485717311_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-60005900-1485717367_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-77696700-1485717512_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 17

Useful fact of the day:

The prototype Hansom Cab was trialled in Hinckley along the Coventry Road in 1835 about 4 miles from where I live.

Hinckley used to "celebrate" this with it's town signage until a few years ago:

post-9751-0-77929000-1485780265.jpg

The signs have since been upgraded to celebrate a more modern form of transport - Triumph (motorcycles)

post-9751-0-72413600-1485780578.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Useful fact of the day:

The prototype Hansom Cab was trialled in Hinckley along the Coventry Road in 1835 about 4 miles from where I live.

attachicon.gifhansom sign.jpg

The signs have since been upgraded to celebrate a more modern form of transport - Triumph (motorcycles)

attachicon.giftriumph.jpg

Not far to travel for a local derby in three years time. :rtfm:

Not far to travel for a local derby in three years time. :rtfm:

I think Coventry City would have to shed a lot more tiers (tears?) for that to ever happen as both 'new' versions of what was Hinckley United, before being wound up in the High Court, play in Tier 10 (Midland League North).

It's a bit further to travel to play Hinckley AFC as they currently ground share with Heather near Coalville and some imposters B4668 (a.k.a. Leicester Road F.C.) occupy the old ground at present.

post-9751-0-56921000-1485795614.png

Look there's that Hansom Cab again with some Simon De Montfort stuff and the obligatory phoenix

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Good use of tooling by Bachmann and probably useful if you have a preserved line model railway or if you can employ a Nelsonian eye.

Horatio, you wouldn't have a problem with me buying one, putting 6417 on the front and running the Saltash to Brent service then.

Horatio, you wouldn't have a problem with me buying one, putting 6417 on the front and running the Saltash to Brent service then.

As Nelson might have said if it suited him  "Livery anomalies.... I see no livery anomalies...."

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts on this under the radar new release.

attachicon.gif39-580_3214830_Qty1_1.jpg

If it ends up in the bargain bin I will no doubt end up with one, the world would be a better place if the great western wasn't nationalised anyway!

Does look such a nice model, it's such a shame they didn't go for something with a bit wider use pre as we'll as post nationalisation

• RMweb Gold

Useful fact of the day:

Oh. I though it was "Triumph has a bra for the way you are". Shame. 

• RMweb Gold

Why, what's wrong with it?

Oh, I see, they were introduced after nationalisation?

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you could claim it is a third era for your layout of a 1987 "might have been" preservation layout!

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you could claim it is a third era for your layout of a 1987 "might have been" preservation layout!

Every so often I have thoughts along those lines....

Thankfully all of my 1987 and 1997 stock is still P4 and I don't fancy converting a big chunk back to OO. My GWT HST I am very tempted to convert back (likewise my Virgin set). I am very unlikely to ever build a P4 layout big enough to run it on...

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts on this under the radar new release.

attachicon.gif39-580_3214830_Qty1_1.jpg

Get thee behind me temptation!

I am still wrestling with my conscience on this one. I had it on a watch list with Hattons........actually typed the order then looked again at the livery or absence thereof and hit delete!

Now I am having third or fourth thoughts

What colour were the bolecticons on Autocoaches in GWR days?

• RMweb Gold

Me aansom indeed.

attachicon.gifDSCN9917.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9919.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9920.jpg

Meant to respond to this yesterday

Isnt it interesting how much people are admiring the all green livery?

I have been very carefully painting out the lining on my Kinlet Hall and while its nowhere near as good as yours it is beginning to look moderately handsome (pictures when completed). Some how it looks more powerful and workmanlike. I wonder if the boiler bands are a tad overscale and result in the livery looking a bit fussy?

Whatever.....another great idea I have filched from ANTB...thank you!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Useful fact of the day:

Isn't it also the home of Sketchley Dry Cleaners?

• RMweb Gold

Very nice! I noted the two different shades of brown. Quite realistic, but is the difference due to weathering or different factory liveries?

I hadn't noticed before but yes the weathering.

• Like 1

Isn't it also the home of Sketchley Dry Cleaners?

Unfortunately the last "operational bits" of the HQ site closed in early 2009 (no idea who owned the "business" by then) and demolition work started shortly after.

A sad end for a company that was in the 1950s the largest commissioned hosiery dying and finishing company in Europe and was by the mid 1980s a very successful dry cleaning chain with over 600 branches nationwide.

The collapse of the UK hosiery industry did for the dying side of the business in the late 1980s and it was sold off, and then a series of abysmal strategic business decisions did for the High Street dry cleaning business which was sold for a paltry £1.23M in 1998.

Before and after - the company's reservoirs are a reference point. The former site is now housing but there is a huge DPD distribution hub on the land to the rear which provides 1,000 jobs.

(Leicester to Birmingham Line to the right)

post-9751-0-04084100-1485882156.jpgpost-9751-0-10457500-1485882608.jpg

P.S. I visited the Sketchley Head Office in the early 1970s as part of the Annual Audit Team, but I don't think what happened in the following years was my fault. :jester:

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1