A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That is the bees' knees,Robin.Simply a beautiful job which demonstrates what the real potential of this model is and what a difference the application of a sympathetic shade of green makes.If only......

Funny you say that as I've taken this photo of 5993 alongside 5011 Tintagel Castle.

post-126-0-22408300-1485282208_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening chaps,

Nice to see 5995 (Named after Kirby Hall near Corby) on ANTB in it's rightful setting  :sungum:

Thanks for the kind words as well :imsohappy: . It is nice model and I'm sure Hornby could remove the Design Clever elements fairly easily.  It does have a finesse about it as well compared to the Bachmann Hall in my eyes. 

Robin is correct in saying that I used Precision GWR post-war green applied through my trusty Expo airbrush. Other paints are from Tamiya and Valejo.  Crew are from Airfix/Dapol.

Thanks once again.

Mark  ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Funny you say that as I've taken this photo of 5993 alongside 5011 Tintagel Castle.

attachicon.gifDSCN9896.jpg

Sadly showing up the awful shade of green on the latter, as it always does when you put something in the right green next to hornbys shade.

I really must learn to line properly so I can redo my kings and castles....

• Like 1

A couple of weeks back we were discussing the Bachmann Hall in post war livery.I mentioned wanting more of these 'maid of all works' and today I received 5993 Kirby Hall from 44464 of this parish.

Details of how Mark converted her from a Hornby Olton Hall can be found here.He has done a fabulous job.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-898

attachicon.gifNew to ANTB..jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9891.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN9892.jpg

Cor! I can only hope to get my Olton Hall into wartime black to anywhere near this standard. I'm not sure why, but in the unlined green livery the Hall looks workmanlike, rugged and a true maid of all work (as opposed to say, when a Hall is fitted with a dainty 3500 gallon tender in Great-Crest-Western fully lined livery which does absolutely nothing for me!)

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 1

Any chance with this one?

attachicon.gifdubhead 002.jpg

Brian.

Some rusty old steam coming out of the safety valve, or is that some kind of spell?

Harry Potter will soon appear, wave his wand and Kinlet  Hall will magically appear in Brunswick green!!   Never noticed a tree in the wrong place before  :dontknow:

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Harry Potter will soon appear, wave his wand and Kinlet  Hall will magically appear in Brunswick green!!   Never noticed a tree in the wrong place before  :dontknow:

Brian.

Snap!.....I hope

Mark/Robin

A question. I thought that Unlined green tenders had GWR rather than G crest W.....eg Manors and Granges. I know there were exceptions Andy (7007 Great Western) just sent me a photo of Ashley Hall. Was Kirby Hall a similar exception or was G crest W the norm for Green Halls?

• RMweb Gold

A question. I thought that Unlined green tenders had GWR rather than G crest W.....eg Manors and Granges. I know there were exceptions Andy (7007 Great Western) just sent me a photo of Ashley Hall. Was Kirby Hall a similar exception or was G crest W the norm for Green Halls?

Hi John,

I'll not profess to be an expert but worked from photos and discussed the post-war era livery on the Hall Class with some knowledgeable folk. As for Kirby Hall in this livery I'm not 100 % but she was built pre-war so may have carried this livery post-war.  The name was chosen reflecting my Northamptonshire roots.

Here's a photo of an unidentified Hall in the G crest W livery as per 5993.

post-7584-0-90191000-1485302390_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It looks like 2017's going to carry on where 2016 left off...  :-(

Consecutive years usually do....

grabs coat...

Just trying to lighten the mood... (I thought of posting a pic of an SR loco but thought some might not like it...)

• RMweb Premium

Consecutive years usually do....

grabs coat...

Just trying to lighten the mood... (I thought of posting a pic of an SR loco but thought some might not like it...)

The naughty corner is already occupied Muz.

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Hi John,

I'll not profess to be an expert but worked from photos and discussed the post-war era livery on the Hall Class with some knowledgeable folk......

Mark

Hello Mark et al,

Well done on the superb repaint of Kirby Hall, a great credit to your skills.

John's post makes reference to a photo of 4903 Ashley Hall attached to a tender bearing the "GWR" logo. The tender appears to be flush riveted and of 3000 or 3500 capacity. It is not the Collett 4000 gallon unit that was most commonly attached to the Halls after the war.

The matter of GWR postwar liveries has attracted a lot of discussion on RMWeb of late and I'll chip in my 'two penneth' for what it's worth. I'd love to hear the thoughts of Mike ("Coach Bogie") and "Castle" amongst others. I am NO expert and am happy to stand corrected.

Whilst digging around this subject I unearthed this on Steam Picture Library. It shows a Collett 4000 gallon tender, unattached to a loco and wearing the G-crest-W livery. It appears to be black. What is really interesting is the handwritten endorsement at the top of the print "New writing for named engines. Neg E5/117 20.2.45". 

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/4000-gallon-locomotive-tender-showing-new-lettering/print/10560223.html

Presumably this reflects a change in livery policy and was intended to guide the Paint Shop henceforth?

In practise, the Paint Shop seems to have adhered to this livery policy broadly but with quite a few exceptions. For example, the 47xx class were not named engines at any time in their life though at least one was attached to a tender bearing the "G-crest-W" livery in the postwar period. Similarly, 5955 ​Garth Hall was converted to oil burning and outshopped from Swindon in June 1946 bearing the "GWR" livery that the company clearly intended for un-named engines!

At this point another pattern starts to emerge. What Astley Hall and Garth Hall had in common was that they were both attached to small, non standard 3000-3500 gallon tenders. This trend carries over to the Granges. Having been rebuilt from Churchward moguls just before the war, many if not most Granges were still attached to the small Churchward 3500 gallon tenders they inherited from the moguls in the months after the way. Yet despite clearly being named engines, again, many got the "GWR" treatment not "G-crest-W". The inconsistency was present on the Manors too. According to the late Bill Peto's Register of Great Western Locomotives "tenders were inscribed with the letters 'G' and 'W' separated buy the company's coat of arms" though he also says it was "not applied to all the class". At least two, Compton Manor and Hinton Manor are pictured in "GWR" livery just after the war, again contradicting the instructions written on the print held at the Steam Picture Library!

So, getting back to John's original question. Just how representative is the "G-crest-W" livery for a Hall in postwar condition? Steam Picture Library currently has some very nice prints of Halls in postwar condition:-

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/hall-class-locomotives/photo/91863.html

​Peplow Hall, Clyffe Hall, Shirenewton Hall, Hackness Hall and Barton Hall are all attached to 4000 Gallon tenders and all are painted "G-crest-W".

Intriguingly, the photo of Barton Hall also has a handwritten inscription citing the involvement of the "Uranium Oil Company".

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/hall-class-locomotive-no-4905-barton-hall-august-1947/print/10560225.html

I believe this is irrefutable evidence of Swindon's Top Secret plan to fit nuclear reactors to the entire class in order to address the deteriorating quality of coal supplies at the time. Notice the lead lined anti-radiation shield attached to the front buffer beam......

Awwwww, c'mmon! This is ANTB! You didn't expect me to be entirely serious did you...?

Andy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark et al,

Well done on the superb repaint of Kirby Hall, a great credit to your skills.

John's post makes reference to a photo of 4903 Ashley Hall attached to a tender bearing the "GWR" logo. The tender appears to be flush riveted and of 3000 or 3500 capacity. It is not the Collett 4000 gallon unit that was most commonly attached to the Halls after the war.

The matter of GWR postwar liveries has attracted a lot of discussion on RMWeb of late and I'll chip in my 'two penneth' for what it's worth. I'd love to hear the thoughts of Mike ("Coach Bogie") and "Castle" amongst others. I am NO expert and am happy to stand corrected.

Whilst digging around this subject I unearthed this on Steam Picture Library. It shows a Collett 4000 gallon tender, unattached to a loco and wearing the G-crest-W livery. It appears to be black. What is really interesting is the handwritten endorsement at the top of the print "New writing for named engines. Neg E5/117 20.2.45". 

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/4000-gallon-locomotive-tender-showing-new-lettering/print/10560223.html

Presumably this reflects a change in livery policy and was intended to guide the Paint Shop henceforth?

In practise, the Paint Shop seems to have adhered to this livery policy broadly but with quite a few exceptions. For example, the 47xx class were not named engines at any time in their life though at least one was attached to a tender bearing the "G-crest-W" livery in the postwar period. Similarly, 5955 ​Garth Hall was converted to oil burning and outshopped from Swindon in June 1946 bearing the "GWR" livery that the company clearly intended for un-named engines!

At this point another pattern starts to emerge. What Astley Hall and Garth Hall had in common was that they were both attached to small, non standard 3000-3500 gallon tenders. This trend carries over to the Granges. Having been rebuilt from Churchward moguls just before the war, many if not most Granges were still attached to the small Churchward 3500 gallon tenders they inherited from the moguls in the months after the way. Yet despite clearly being named engines, again, many got the "GWR" treatment not "G-crest-W". The inconsistency was present on the Manors too. According to the late Bill Peto's Register of Great Western Locomotives "tenders were inscribed with the letters 'G' and 'W' separated buy the company's coat of arms" though he also says it was "not applied to all the class". At least two, Compton Manor and Hinton Manor are pictured in "GWR" livery just after the war, again contradicting the instructions written on the print held at the Steam Picture Library!

So, getting back to John's original question. Just how representative is the "G-crest-W" livery for a Hall in postwar condition? Steam Picture Library currently has some very nice prints of Halls in postwar condition:-

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/hall-class-locomotives/photo/91863.html

​Peplow Hall, Clyffe Hall, Shirenewton Hall, Hackness Hall and Barton Hall are all attached to 4000 Gallon tenders and all are painted "G-crest-W".

Intriguingly, the photo of Barton Hall also has a handwritten inscription citing the involvement of the "Uranium Oil Company".

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/hall-class-locomotive-no-4905-barton-hall-august-1947/print/10560225.html

I believe this is irrefutable evidence of Swindon's Top Secret plan to fit nuclear reactors to the entire class in order to address the deteriorating quality of coal supplies at the time. Notice the lead lined anti-radiation shield attached to the front buffer beam......

Awwwww, c'mmon! This is ANTB! You didn't expect me to be entirely serious did you...?

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Great reply....;) 

That's a fab website as well.  Think I've come across it in the past but usually use the Warwick Railways site.  Duly bookmarked  :sungum:

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the kind words too.... :imsohappy:

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Is that an LMS tender freshly out shopped behind the black one?

It does indeed look like a Stanier tender - presumably off one of the Swindon built 8Fs? I think the last ones were being built in 1945. Apparently they migrated back to the LMS between November '46 and October 1947.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice photo on there of 7200 at Newton Abbot

http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/2-8-2-tank-locomotive-no-7200-at-newton-abbott/print/11388627.html

Could well be wartime black, although with that much filth covering it working out a contast between the boiler and smokebox colours is very difficult...

Definitely green Rich because I have a model of her like it. :read:

• Like 1