A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

FYI

I happened to be in Bideford yesterday and called into Osborns.

The laser cut range as you may or may not know was originally produced for the 2mm market. This is now starting to expand to 4mm, OO and for the detail being achieved it isn't bad to my eyes. The brickwork is comparable with any of the plasticard sheets available and fineness of lettering being produced is excellent.

I have had discussions regarding "one off" bits produced on their in house laser ( oh! How I wish I could have one ! )and they seem pretty amenable to files (.dxf) being sent for consideration, yes, there are others who will do this too, some in the parish also, but I try to keep local-ish for the economy.

Usual disclaimers etc but I think with a little extra work the laser cut buildings could look really good.

I also noticed a standard GWR coaling stage a la Didcot on display in 4mm, which was produced as a test model and it looks pretty good too.

Yours

Are you local ?

FYI

I happened to be in Bideford yesterday and called into Osborns.

The laser cut range as you may or may not know was originally produced for the 2mm market. This is now starting to expand to 4mm, OO and for the detail being achieved it isn't bad to my eyes. The brickwork is comparable with any of the plasticard sheets available and fineness of lettering being produced is excellent.

I have had discussions regarding "one off" bits produced on their in house laser ( oh! How I wish I could have one ! )and they seem pretty amenable to files (.dxf) being sent for consideration, yes, there are others who will do this too, some in the parish also, but I try to keep local-ish for the economy.

Usual disclaimers etc but I think with a little extra work the laser cut buildings could look really good.

I also noticed a standard GWR coaling stage a la Didcot on display in 4mm, which was produced as a test model and it looks pretty good too.

Yours

Are you local ?

Hi,

Talking of Laser cut plywood buildings, reminds me that I was discussing the very subject with one of my customers last time I visited him and he told me that his local library (Altrincham I think) had a machine and subject to a training session was available to use by the General Public, cost was reasonable or negligible if not free. He was considering using it for the station buildings he needs. Other libraries in the larger towns may also have one.

Cost of small machines is now approaching the affordable. You don't necessarily need a mega machine like Brian Lewis has, if you are not doing 7mm scale stuff. As for file compatability some are more picky than others so best to check.

I see Locomotion are thinking of doing a run of this beauty as a limited edition if enough interest is shewn.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119099-class-66-evening-star/

attachicon.gifEvening Star weathered..jpg

I see there is also a booby prize available for those not able to secure a proper Evening Star:

post-9751-0-99989300-1485014276.jpg

Apparently the last Class 66 to be imported to these shores from the New World and due to be donated to the NRM at the end of it's working life....40 years hence....

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see there is also a booby prize also available for those not able to secure a proper Evening Star:

attachicon.gifevening star.jpg

Apparently the last Class 66 to be imported to these shores from the New World and due to be donated to the NRM at the end of it's working life....40 years hence....

Why has it got a doorbell?

Philthyminded Duckbreasts

Hi,

Talking of Laser cut plywood buildings, reminds me that I was discussing the very subject with one of my customers last time I visited him and he told me that his local library (Altrincham I think) had a machine and subject to a training session was available to use by the General Public, cost was reasonable or negligible if not free. He was considering using it for the station buildings he needs. Other libraries in the larger towns may also have one.

Cost of small machines is now approaching the affordable. You don't necessarily need a mega machine like Brian Lewis has, if you are not doing 7mm scale stuff. As for file compatability some are more picky than others so best to check.

Stephen,

Devon County Central Library in Exeter are running similar courses which in essence are good but they require a certain number of interested people to book before doing a workshop. I've tried that and am still awaiting a response.

Thank you for pointing it out though 

Grahame

I see there is also a booby prize available for those not able to secure a proper Evening Star:

Yes, 'beauty' is definitely not a word that springs to mind when looking at one of the Class 66 oil engines. Even a lick of green paint doesn't alter its aesthetic .. although the door bell is somewhat fetching!

Give me steam.

P Gabriel

• RMweb Gold

I'd never thought I would see them in the fourth division but it's looking very likely now.I need a drink.Our owners have a very long charge sheet.

Swindon 28 -14 29 20   Shrewsbury 28 -13 28   21   Bury 28 -12 26 22   Chesterfield 28 -17 26 23   Oldham 26 -15 22 24   Coventry 27 -16 21

I'd never thought I would see them in the fourth division but it's looking very likely now.I need a drink.Our owners have a very long charge sheet.

Swindon 28 -14 29 20   Shrewsbury 28 -13 28   21   Bury 28 -12 26 22   Chesterfield 28 -17 26 23   Oldham 26 -15 22 24   Coventry 27 -16 21

But away from the league Checkatrade Trophy glory and a Wembley appearance still beckon:

The draw for the Checkatrade Trophy Quarter-Finals has been made, live on Sky Sports News.
The road to Wembley, which culminates in the final on 2nd April, is picking up pace and teams have found out who they will face in the last eight of the competition. 

Here is the Checkatrade Trophy Quarter-Final draw in full: 

Mansfield Town v Wycombe Wanderers 

Swansea City U21 v Coventry City 

Oxford United v Bradford City 

Luton Town v Yeovil Town 

Quarter-Final ties are due to be played during the week commencing 23rd January.

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/checkatrade-trophy-quarter-final-draw-3509109.aspx#R5ATdw3SdkFXitcw.99

Yes, 'beauty' is definitely not a word that springs to mind when looking at one of the Class 66 oil engines. Even a lick of green paint doesn't alter its aesthetic .. although the door bell is somewhat fetching!

Give me steam.

P Gabriel

[/quote

May not be 'beautiful' but certainly more attractive than corporate colours. Its the right green and lining, got a red buffer beam, now all they have to do is to get rid of the now superfluous yellow panel and perhaps reduce the company initials a bit and repaint them in gold! Then it would look better still!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, 'beauty' is definitely not a word that springs to mind when looking at one of the Class 66 oil engines. Even a lick of green paint doesn't alter its aesthetic .. although the door bell is somewhat fetching! Give me steam. P Gabriel[/quoteMay not be 'beautiful' but certainly more attractive than corporate colours. Its the right green and lining, got a red buffer beam, now all they have to do is to get rid of the now superfluous yellow panel and perhaps reduce the company initials a bit and repaint them in gold! Then it would look better still!Brian.

And it does look as if it's made in tinplate!

I have never seen it haul a train yet. I must jinx it as I have only seen it run around the Yorkshire and the North east light engine.

post-9992-0-64382400-1485101725_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'd never thought I would see them in the fourth division but it's looking very likely now.I need a drink.Our owners have a very long charge sheet

Perhaps you should support the other team that plays at Ricoh

W.Asp

Edited by john dew
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you should support the other team that plays at Ricoh

W.Asp

As I remember the days when Cov Rugby had a decent side with the likes of Duckham and Rossborough,that ain't gonna happen John.Wasps are good for the local community though as their gates are very good. ;)

• RMweb Gold

A bit more glamourous than 66585 'The Drax Flyer' that I caught in Yorkshire a few years back.

attachicon.gif66585.jpg

Should have put some matting agent on that forehead of yours Rob It flashes in the sun like a pelican crossing.   :laugh:

P.I.Staker

• RMweb Gold

Should have put some matting agent on that forehead of yours Rob It flashes in the sun like a pelican crossing.   :laugh:

P.I.Staker

Some of the pensioners on here can be right nasty b****rds. :O