A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating. That looks like Ugborough Beacon in the background, so this looks like an up train between Brent and Marley Tunnels. In which case, what is the track to the right?

The line on the right is Brent Up Loop - the splitting signal for the loop is clearly visible in the background.   There is no other additional line or siding with the curvature on that side, let alone a loop, in the area.

And having a look on the 1913 6 inch OS map puts Ugborough Beacon in almost exactly that position from what would have been Dick Riley's viewpoint with the high ground on the right also fitting in on the right place on the map.  Interestingly you can get a very similar view - but with a lot more trees in the way - if on Google Maps you go up Vicarage Road in Brent away from the railway and turn too look over towards the beacon.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

4908 was at Penzance from 1955 to 1960. There are plenty of photos of it in Cornwall in the usual reference books.

She moved to Wales in the summer of '47 so isn't usuable.Apparently she had been in and out of the works quite a lot in the '40s according to Ben L of this parish.I'm looking for an alternative.

• RMweb Gold

The line on the right is Brent Up Loop - the splitting signal for the loop is clearly visible in the background.   There is no other additional line or siding with the curvature on that side, let alone a loop, in the area.

And having a look on the 1913 6 inch OS map puts Ugborough Beacon in almost exactly that position from what would have been Dick Riley's viewpoint with the high ground on the right also fitting in on the right place on the map.  Interestingly you can get a very similar view - but with a lot more trees in the way - if on Google Maps you go up Vicarage Road in Brent away from the railway and turn too look over towards the beacon.

Thanks Mike, yes, of course. I just got confused with the perspective as regards Ugborough Beacon.

The train is, therefore, approaching Brent station from the Plymouth direction.

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to John C ( Checkrail) of this parish for making the shortlist for readers layout of the year for Stoke Courtenay. I was surprised Pencarrow didn't make the list.

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to John C ( Checkrail) of this parish for making the shortlist for readers layout of the year for Stoke Courtenay. I was surprised Pencarrow didn't make the list.

I think it's for layouts on which trains can actually run and not just pictures of them being shunted about :jester:   In fact there's some very stiff competition in the layouts section this year, as there is in several other categories

• RMweb Gold

Yes it think the competition is pretty close in many of the catagories this year as Mike says  (insert subliminal vote Southern message here .... or at least a certain Southern based website...it does feature a Nod to Brent on at least a couple of its posts... )

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes it think the competition is pretty close in many of the catagories this year as Mike says  (insert subliminal vote Southern message here .... or at least a certain Southern based website...it does feature a Nod to Brent on at least a couple of its posts... )

Yes but it didn't stop me voting for The Warwickshire Railways site.It is in my neck of the woods after all. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gerry.I'm on to this now and will contact Bachmann about this as it might be remedied before production.As Larry says on another thread,the lining is very toy like on this.

Unless of course Bachmann is deliberately seeking to model 4920 in its preservation livery. Where is the 2017 Members' Day to be held, I wonder?

• RMweb Gold

I believe this Dumbleton Hall is a re issue of the limited Edition that was made several years ago for the D.H society it carries an old Bachmann serial number. 

N. O. Hall

• RMweb Gold

What are you lot on about now? What have I missed this time?

It OK you have missed nothing just rest your head and drop back off to sleep remember it's an age thing that you are having a senior moment.  :laugh:

D. R. Spock

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

What are you lot on about now? What have I missed this time?

Top of the page.Click on The British Model Railway Awards and follow the questions.No sausages can be voted for.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, can't imagine why I've been overlooked.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's for layouts on which trains can actually run and not just pictures of them being shunted about :jester:   In fact there's some very stiff competition in the layouts section this year, as there is in several other categories

I'll have you know the Railbus moved almost 9' using DCC control. Really don't understand why that's not enough for some folk. ;-p