A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I dread to think how much it cost as it took three months work to complete.

Why don't you ask him to see if he will loan it for a while it's 10 times better than any of the RTP you buy over the counter.

• RMweb Gold

Wellington didn't get its Hawksworth tender until 48, and if I'm redoing the tender Spitfire is too hard to resist.

As for Fairly battle, my thought is that 2 Hawksworth tendered castles and one collett is the wrong ratio. Of course if I add next years castle release as well to balance things out, and that Star I've been meaning to add..........

• RMweb Gold

I guess there is of course a risk of having too many NA engines...

Keep thinking I need more London based passenger engines

How many booked turns did NA 'Castles' have in the Plymouth direction I wonder?  their top job, without any sort of doubt, was the Salop double-home job for which Newton always used its best 'Castles' and I presume they obviously had considerable involvement with Torbay trains but I don't know about working west of Newton on the mainline.

• RMweb Gold

I guess there is of course a risk of having too many NA engines...

Keep thinking I need more London based passenger engines

I realise Fatadder and Rob are 1947 modellers, whereas I have concentrated exclusively on the mid-1930s.

I find I have little knowledge of the 'turns' taken by particular locos or groups of locos or sheds. The odd example crops up in the literature, but nothing comprehensive.  Services for which there is no identifiable photograph are, therefore, guess-work for me.

It seems to me that the West of England expresses were largely shared by Kings and Castles, whereas the cross-country expresses tended to see both Castles and Stars.  Some Halls, perhaps, but a Saint might be hard to justify. 

Until I saw the Norman Lockett albums, I had imagined Stars would be relatively rare on the South Devon mainline by the mid-thirties, but apparently not so. The only 'Stars' allocated to the SW peninsular were examples rebuilt as Castles and based at Laira.  The visiting Stars presumably came from places like Shrewsbury and Stafford Road.  

The right balance between, say, Newton and Laira locomotives is not easy to judge, and the subtleties, such as your comment about Newton Castles, continue to elude me.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My 5yr old grandson has just been to stay for a couple of days and for the first time he hasn't wanted to see anything of my trains!

I blame Tractor Ted-- he now wants to be a tractor driver when he grows up.

Having said that I used to be fascinated by the working model tractor dioramas in the science museum - but you couldn't own a decent model of one in the 50's, (unless my mother didn't tell me).

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of comment on their thread about these.Ashpangate indeed.

attachicon.gifA_14xx_58xx_small.jpg

Courtesy A. York.

Well, you won't hear the A-word from me again!  Apparently I cause people hearing difficulties, so I must repent, seek forgiveness and see nothing but beauty in all things.

Mind you, Fat Lieutenant has been sent for Attitude Modification, so it could be worse ....

And I hear there's a contract out on Miss P ....

After all, now we've taken back control, we've all had enough of experts.

Praise the Lord!  And may He grant eternal ignorance to all who accept Him into their hearts!

• RMweb Gold

My 5yr old grandson has just been to stay for a couple of days and for the first time he hasn't wanted to see anything of my trains!

I blame Tractor Ted-- he now wants to be a tractor driver when he grows up.

Having said that I used to be fascinated by the working model tractor dioramas in the science museum - but you couldn't own a decent model of one in the 50's, (unless my mother didn't tell me).

I know quite a few lads who used to work at Massey's making them ! Now a housing estate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, you won't hear the A-word from me again!  Apparently I cause people hearing difficulties, so I must repent, seek forgiveness and see nothing but beauty in all things.

Mind you, Fat Lieutenant has been sent for Attitude Modification, so it could be worse ....

Praise the Lord!  And may He grant eternal ignorance to all who accept Him into their hearts!

I think most of this has passed me by.

I was going to comment on the 48xx,  but I have a family to consider...

• RMweb Premium

I was going to comment on the 48xx, but I have a family to consider...

Don't blame you. Having just had a look at the various 4mm RTR loco threads, they seem more about kids having an argument and throwing tantrums than adults discussing models. Really glad I no longer bother with these threads - they don't bring out the best in many folk.

• Like 2

Don't blame you. Having just had a look at the various 4mm RTR loco threads, they seem more about kids having an argument and throwing tantrums than adults discussing models. Really glad I no longer bother with these threads - they don't bring out the best in many folk.

Often wondered why this happens.  A seemingly innocuous discussion can suddenly go berserk and participants can be the same ones who have spent hours in civilised discussion in the past.

Brian.

For goodness sake don't even think of asking if it'll run on 00-SF.........

• RMweb Gold

It looks a nice bit of kit by the end of the decade we should see all the rolling stock we have been hankering after on the shelves.  :senile:  :senile:  :senile: 

Well almost.

I.F.Ownlee