A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

You mean the Oakhill Brewery Railway, presumably?

Yes and the S&DJR at Binegar.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!

F. Ilthy

Hon Sec

KTFMF

(Keep the Filthy Mogul Filthy)

Absolutely but I can't promise any newly announced model will be kept in the same state.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely but I can't promise any newly announced model will be kept in the same state.

Well I can't get my cattle into my new SR cattle wagon because to they are spooked by the satin finish and the orange floor. Poor things thought they were going on a holiday to Devon!

• RMweb Gold

No 22 and the Quaker Coffee House would work for me. I was surprised by the number of decent pubs on the Darlo Camra website. It is 15 years sine I spent much of an evening in Darlo.

Of course for some beer is a hobby, so may not count as a non-hobby reason.

Sorry

Oakhill

Thanks.  Salvation is in sight.

Now that we are getting all colloquial, although it is not that far from Barney to Darlo, I find I don't get the chance to go there, or anywhere, really, very often.

I discover, however, that I must return to The Smoke later this week, so will hopefully be able to pick up a copy from WH Smiths at the station. 

Life is made tolerable by means of Little Victories.

Hurrah!

• Like 1

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-4-6-0-drysllwyn-castle-4073-castle-class.html

Although a while away from release I had forgot about this Castle.Is this ok for a straight rename to 5071 'Spitfire' ?

Caerphilly Castle was 4073, Drysllwyn 7018/5051, the latter was built under BR in 1950. I presume your area of concern is mainly the front cylinder coversand mechanical lubricator, so unlikely if its Caerphilly. Anything after 5012 in your period I think would have the later style but most were added later..Jus depends exactly what Hornby are up to. Just had a look Oh dear wrong number and livery! What a surprise! If picture is correct its only suitable for later Castles. So in your case probably OK to rename.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Gold

Caerphilly Castle was 4073, Drysllwyn 7018/5051, the latter was built under BR in 1950. I presume your area of concern is mainly the front cylinder coversand mechanical lubricator, so unlikely if its Caerphilly. Anything after 5012 in your period I think would have the later style but most were added later..Jus depends exactly what Hornby are up to. Just had a look Oh dear wrong number and livery! What a surprise! If picture is correct its only suitable for later Castles. So in your case probably OK to rename.

The usual Hornby ambiguity then.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-4-6-0-drysllwyn-castle-4073-castle-class.html

Although a while away from release I had forgot about this Castle.Is this ok for a straight rename to 5071 'Spitfire' ?

I think I am right in saying (having checked the books) that if Hornby do the job properly it should be perfect for renunbering (and removing the footplate lining) to get Spirfire in 1947 condition (having got rid of the 8 wheel tender in 1942 and regained a standard 4000gl Collett

I have been thinking about doing the same loco, though may well end up either doing Fairly Battle if I find another cheap Wellington or Brunel (or decide you can't have too many castles and go for both!) Either way I suspect Drysllwyn will sell out a lot faster than Wellington...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't help that the name Drysllwyn was used on three different numbered Castles.

Well the Hornby mock up shows 5076, so that was the loco I looked up.  But checking back to the book, 5051 would also be ok.

Clearly the final loco to carry the name will not be the state of the Hornby model given it is being released in Shirtbutton livery. 

• RMweb Gold

I think I am right in saying (having checked the books) that if Hornby do the job properly it should be perfect for renunbering (and removing the footplate lining) to get Spirfire in 1947 condition (having got rid of the 8 wheel tender in 1942 and regained a standard 4000gl Collett

I have been thinking about doing the same loco, though may well end up either doing Fairly Battle if I find another cheap Wellington or Brunel (or decide you can't have too many castles and go for both!) Either way I suspect Drysllwyn will sell out a lot faster than Wellington...

The only thing which might be wrong (and it is on the Hornby pic!) is the cover over the inside cylinders which was probably not altered to the final pattern until 1948.  Otherwise it all looks ok and the boiler is right for 1947. 

• RMweb Gold

Correct as usual Mike. ;) According to the book of Castles, the 5013 series [1932-39] numbers 5013-82 and 5093-97 were built with straight frames and wide box shaped inside valve casings and curved front edge.This was altered as Mike says to a squared edge after 1948.The Hornby website pic shews this and a mention to the guy in the R & D might be in order like I did with the Star.

There is an old boiler in a castle sometimes in Scotland at Christmas and new year.

I suspect I shall now be 'eliminated'.

Charles Windsor.

Arise Sir Mallardious you are duly honoured !

• RMweb Gold

There is an old boiler in a castle sometimes in Scotland at Christmas and new year.

I suspect I shall now be 'eliminated'.

Charles Windsor.

Sandringham now runs on biomass boilers so one no longer sees one's breath while giving the Christmas Message to camera !

• RMweb Gold

No stoking there! they's oil fired, just adjust a couple of valves. First time I've seen sprayers on a smoke tube boiler.

So oil-burning Castles are appropriate for 1947 - but not a pretty sight!