A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

He's a Bernard as far as I'm concerned. No doubt whatsoever.

I beg to differ Colin, as there isn't a barrel around his neck he doesn't qualify .....

Here's a proper pair of Bernards !

post-20303-0-52845100-1451498668.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I beg to differ Colin, as there isn't a barrel around his neck he doesn't qualify .....

Here's a proper pair of Bernards !

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

He's a religious man as he's carrying his daily bread or is he just using his loaf.

I didn't say he was a saint, just a Bernard. He looks a lot like B Cribbins

Given his purported age, wouldn't the gentleman have been born in the late Victorian period? If so, how about one of those splendidly over the top (Melchett on the brain) names beloved by the Victorians? Eg Somerset as a Christian name (would suggest he's off his patch and hence why is catching a train) or an Old Testament name - Caleb, Seth or Ephraim? Perhaps coupled to an old Devon surname of the sort we don't see many of these days. Continuing the Melchett theme, the Devon regiment appears to have had two WW1 VCs George Onions ans Theodore Veale. Not sure how ' Devon' those names are...

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Given his purported age, wouldn't the gentleman have been born in the late Victorian period? If so, how about one of those splendidly over the top (Melchett on the brain) names beloved by the Victorians? Eg Somerset as a Christian name (would suggest he's off his patch and hence why is catching a train) or an Old Testament name - Caleb, Seth or Ephraim? Perhaps coupled to an old Devon surname of the sort we don't see many of these days. Continuing the Melchett theme, the Devon regiment appears to have had two WW1 VCs George Onions ans Theodore Veale. Not sure how ' Devon' those names are...

David

Mr Charles Waterbury........think "Daddy! My Daddy!".........

Rob

• Like 2

I reckon he's a bookie - off to Newton for the races.

More likely to be going to Buckfastleigh Races to see if 2nd Baron Lord Mildmay of Flete can repeat his 1946 Whitsun success and get a GWR locomotive named after him like his father:

post-9751-0-13274600-1451524779.jpg

The photo is of the 1949 Whitsun meeting at Buckfastleigh which attracted a crowd of over 20,000 with Princess Margaret attending accompanied by 2nd Lord Mildmay.

Edit: apparently there was National Hunt racing at South Brent between 1889 and 1912.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

A cold winters morning in the South Hams, as we catch 5551 and 6417 on the embankment.The crews are hoping for an early finish to have time to go to a New Years Eve party.

post-126-0-19930800-1451564674_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

It is with great regret that I have to announce the discovery of another rapacious housing development on the green fields of Devon, but this time it looks as if a portion of the old Kingsbridge branch at Brent will be lost.

Looking at the plans deposited by Cavanna Homes - http://www.cavannahomes.co.uk/developments/palstone-meadow- the former Kingsbridge embankment will be incorporated in a new housing development on what is being called 'Palstone Meadow'.

post-57-0-85754700-1451573751.jpg

This means that the view in this photo (taken last Winter) will disappear, from the railway embankment (inclusive) and to the right of it:

post-57-0-37549300-1451573786.jpg

• RMweb Gold

As we come to the end of 2015 it's a time for reflection.

A big thanks to everyone's support whether by likes or posting.It makes it worthwhile keeping this part of the world in your thoughts,50 years since it closed.

2016 promises to be a bit special with some new coaches and finally a footbridge to sit on the platforms.

Hopefully we can have another meet up with perhaps more people coming this time.

So can I raise a glass of whatever your favourite tipple is and wish you all a Happy New Year.To friends of ANTB Cheers.

post-126-0-62015200-1451579767_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-53253700-1451579783_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-14057200-1451579800_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year to you Rob and all the other contribuitors to ANTB from a sunny but rather cold Vancouver.

Of course, living here, I will not be celebrating 2016 for quite a while. Bit like Cpl Jones really, always that bit behind everybody else!

Cheers

John

• Like 1