A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<There must be a turntable at Loddiswell..>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Surely its at Salcombe  sub shed to 83A, now that the extension is finally finished from Kingsbridge!

Brian.

It would have been turned on the Kingsbridge Regis turntable, using the link between the line from Churston via Wencombe and the Kingsbridge - Salcombe extension.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I disagree with the Captain's proposal.

The elevated road will prevent a ground level view across to the shed, the junction on a bridge always seems clichéd ( although I know of at least 2 real life urban examples). I just think it will clutter the open feel of the area.

By all means continue the road, but maybe as a farm track, with grass down the middle and old stone gates posts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Robin,

How about extending Station Road as shown below, and incorporating the west-end bridge over the railway?

attachicon.gifBrent west end bridge.jpg

Also, it's interesting from my point of view who on here has agreed with CK's proposal.Food for thought the next time he visits with his SR stock !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that a road bridge under the embankment on the right hand side?

My thought is that it might look a bit strange in a rural area having a road bridge going over, and then 18 inches or so down the line a road going under the line.

Looking at the topography of the layout (rather than the real Brent), I'd have thought the road would be more likely to link up there rather than having a second bridge.

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I disagree with the Captain's proposal.

The elevated road will prevent a ground level view across to the shed, the junction on a bridge always seems clichéd ( although I know of at least 2 real life urban examples). I just think it will clutter the open feel of the area.

By all means continue the road, but maybe as a farm track, with grass down the middle and old stone gates posts.

I mention it purely because it reflects the topography of the real place, which I trust folk will allow me to speak of with the authority of someone who has lived here for many years (note, I didn't say 'local', the real 'locals' need you to have been born here, live all your life here, shuffle off your mortal coil here and be able to drink at least one of the Finching sisters under the table, before they'll deign to admit that you could as 'one of them').

I will admit, however, that I had overlooked the close proximity of the cottages and underbridge, but then again, as a 'local' the truncation of Station Road at a brick wall just seems strange to me.

Thinking about those cottages, however, they do put me in mind of a row of three cottages on the A385 immediately under a high stone retaining wall just the Exeter-side of Rattery Viaduct. I believe that this corresponds approximately to the location of the former Rattery Siding and signal box.

post-57-0-60415100-1450010168.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Make sure he doesn't get Hemerdon Christmas Eve.

Or the Ghost of Marley (Head) may appear on Christmas Eve....

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Also, it's interesting from my point of view who on here has agreed with CK's proposal.Food for thought the next time he visits with his SR stock !

Oh, I see how it is. He that gets the nost votes, wins. What sort of a democracy is this ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I see how it is. He that gets the nost votes, wins. What sort of a democracy is this ?

It's like in my household Stu where SWMBO and myself discuss something for an hour before deciding I was right after all.

• Like 2