A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I trust you won't be weathering it on the inside. I wonder how they were kept clean. Lime wash like the cattle wagons? I know some farms used lime wash for chicken coops etc.

• RMweb Gold

On another thread Coachmann suggests the Airfix autocoach should be consigned to the bin of history.Mine is 35 years old and the new Bachmann version is vastly superior. If only they had done a GWR version.Anyway, a blast from the past.

post-126-0-50172100-1447357721.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I've just found mine.......may look for a detailing kit. Is it Dart Castings that did one?

Would you replace the bogies?

Also recall a flush glazing kit but no idea who made it?

Any info would be of help and can think of no better place to post such a query.

Hope you don't mind Rob.

Rob

On another thread Coachmann suggests the Airfix autocoach should be consigned to the bin of history.Mine is 35 years old and the new Bachmann version is vastly superior. If only they had done a GWR version.Anyway, a blast from the past.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-24111500-1425752457_thumb.jpeg

I didn't quite say that Rob. I said mine would be consigned to the bin. In fact someone asked if they could have it.....Gladly says I.   :smile_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

I didn't quite say that Rob. I said mine would be consigned to the bin. In fact someone asked if they could have it.....Gladly says I.   :smile_mini2:

I agree with your thoughts and I like your work on the new Bachmann one.

I've just found mine.......may look for a detailing kit. Is it Dart Castings that did one?

Would you replace the bogies?

Also recall a flush glazing kit but no idea who made it?

Any info would be of help and can think of no better place to post such a query.

Hope you don't mind Rob.

Rob

The Dart Castings detailing kit DK1 is still listed.  The flush glazing is made by Shawplan/Extreme Etchings.

Chris

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-24111500-1425752457_thumb.jpeg

If you fancy a challenge, it is not too difficult to produce an A28 from the Airfix in original form with windows at the guards end. This one was from two scrap autocoaches (bought for a fiver to rob for the bogies) and a set of B Set bogies. Based on a shot of No 174 which was a Plymouth Coach in the 1930's

post-9992-0-27770100-1447368460_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-17757200-1447368462_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire.

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 13

If you fancy a challenge, it is not too difficult to produce an A28 from the Airfix in original form with windows at the guards end. 

Is this basically swopping the ends round - I have an Airfix one to hand, and that seems to be it (give or take).

Not that I'm likely to do one, it's not LNWR, but the one I have, came in a box of bits many years ago.

Is this basically swopping the ends round - I have an Airfix one to hand, and that seems to be it (give or take).

Not that I'm likely to do one, it's not LNWR, but the one I have, came in a box of bits many years ago.

It is replacing the plain van end with the driver/windowed end from a second coach, replace the recessed drivers door with a flush fitting one cut from the guards doors of the second coach, moving the bogie mounts for 7ft bogies, and detailing with wire and plasticard. Whole project had change out of £20.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 1

There used to be a metal prewar auto coach around, as I painted a good few in GWR double waist livery. Derek Lawrence bought Westdale's tooling for 4mm coaches so it may have been one of those (he made them with separate sides unlike Westdale), or they might have been BSL....?

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

That's brilliant Rob.....every time I see close ups of your locos I keep reminding myself to fit more of mine with engraved plates...they make such a difference.

Cant see the fireman.....is he on the other side?

Regards

• RMweb Gold

That's brilliant Rob.....every time I see close ups of your locos I keep reminding myself to fit more of mine with engraved plates...they make such a difference.

Cant see the fireman.....is he on the other side?

Regards

Don't start, I haven't fitted a crew yet and I hear they're a pig to get apart.You know what happened with my 3MT...

• RMweb Gold

I guess friendly supportive can be in lieu of a sorry button

I thought you had it sorted .....I must be confusing you with someone who got the cab off. I chopped my guy off at knees and eventually got him in using tweezers.....it can be done but I would be frightened of messing up that beautiful weathering!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a metal prewar auto coach around, as I painted a good few in GWR double waist livery. Derek Lawrence bought Westdale's tooling for 4mm coaches so it may have been one of those (he made them with separate sides unlike Westdale), or they might have been BSL....?

There was a keyser white metal kit