A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of trees on the down side at the west end of the station, but not many on the up side.

Be careful of photos of the village hall, as it has been added to in recent years. Not sure how old it actually is, and whether it was there in Robin's era.

In reality, the lane from Aish crosses the railway over that west-end bridge, just at the point that Station Road joins it.

• RMweb Premium

Allotment as Su suggests. Best idea so far (apart from T Pole). Having seen round the Back of Robs Houses (on his layout.....................) I reckon he could produce that scene with no trouble at all and the veg is available as well (some foreign stuff   is it Noch?)

Tally ho.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The village hall is clearly seen in the book Steam in Devon by Peter Gray dated early 60s but like CK says not sure about '47 but the cemetery was there.I do like that gate entrance.

• RMweb Gold

My best guess is that the Village Hall dates from around the '20s.  I am sure I recall that my '30s map of Brent includes it.  But, yes, you would need to  work out the extent of the original structure.

EDIT: It appears that I may have to concede a failing memory; I'll keep digging:

post-25673-0-54927100-1446283674.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Off at a tangent, but I'd love to see a picture of the (long-since demolished) Corn Mill next to the viaduct to the west of the station.  It's on my 1906 map and I notice it's still included on the 1947 map.

• RMweb Gold

Rob  I am a little worried about those trees.  Two odd trees standing there don't look quite right to me   Wouldn't the GWR have cut them down?

Perhaps a nice row of poplars behind the wall, parallel to the platform

Mark (46444) suggested some poplars too so I'll see what's available as part of me agrees and of course I can use them elsewhere.