A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Snooper - I assume it is the Hayes Development kit, I don't know of any other. It was RTR to me [blush].  There is some suggestion that this van may have been painted in chocolate and cream.  If true, that would, nevertheless, have been weird.  As I model 1935 and some passenger vans were starting to be liveried in all-chocolate from the mid-thirties, I thought this was a reasonable interpretation.

After all, variety is the spice of Great Western passenger services.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Snooper - I assume it is the Hayes Development kit, I don't know of any other. It was RTR to me [blush].  There is some suggestion that this van may have been painted in chocolate and cream.  If true, that would, nevertheless, have been weird.  As I model 1935 and some passenger vans were starting to be liveried in all-chocolate from the mid-thirties, I thought this was a reasonable interpretation.

After all, variety is the spice of Great Western passenger services.

Thanks very much, I will see if I can source one. I believe they were built for Ocean Mails traffic and did run in Chocolate & Cream.

Ta

• RMweb Gold

Snooper - CSP; cspmodels.com

They have quite a number of useful 70' types, including, if I recall, the double-ended slip, which is on my wish list.  They do Frogmore too, it was the Frogmore toplight full brake that I posted a while back (a commission from my days as a striving 20 something in the City), as opposed to my (current) days as a fat, broke, old knacker [sigh]).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much, I will see if I can source one. I believe they were built for Ocean Mails traffic and did run in Chocolate & Cream.

Ta

According to the Hayes website all their coach kits are unavailable until further notice.

• RMweb Gold

Bert Grump, the signalman at Tigley Junction, is pleased to see a midweek train pass with 3864 again doing the honours, with a parcels, what else, to Plymouth.

attachicon.gifDSCN7217.jpg

This is one my favourite views I think. Something about the perspective. No train but still very "railway".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you've all been good boys today whilst I've been out travelling around on real trains.  I travelled from one end of a county (geographical sort before the wits start) almost to the other end and back via a few odd bits of a couple of other counties on route in a few minutes under 7 hours on a total of 9 different trains of 6 different types operated by three different TOCs (including one loco hauled passenger train) in two cases over short stretches of brand new railway and in another over a section of route I had not travelled over for 30 years, plus a few miles on a motor omnibus.

One TOC managed to delay a departure by 22 minutes mainly as a result of its own incompetence while the train of another (on the return trip from the northern most point of my journey) was running almost an hour late as a result of the problems with another train over 180 miles further north (that 'another train' being one bearing a brand name associated with a certain bearded person).  

During my travels I came across this very important piece of personal safety advice -

post-6859-0-39605900-1446159011_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Robin,

That last shot of the 28xx and the parcels train.... Do I hear Talking Heads singing "Road to no-where"

I know that's 1947 and David Byrne is not even a twinkling in Mr Byrnes eye, but I do wonder :-)

• RMweb Gold

The place and the dog have been intertwined in my mind since I lived in Plymouth. Both the Wacky races and Dastardly & Muttley were favourites of mine as a kid

I was stopped by the police on Mutley Plain in my 2CV returning with some student colleagues from the nurses home at Freedom Fields having been to Meavy for food and drinks.

It was a hot summer night, the roof was rolled back and the three of them were hanging out of the car dancing to the Rolling Stones! 

Needless to say the two policemen from D&CC were very understanding. Their wives working in the NHS led to just the producing of documents at Charles Cross PS.   ;)

Blimey those were the days! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was stopped by the police on Mutley Plain in my 2CV returning with some student colleagues from the nurses home at Freedom Fields having been to Meavy for food and drinks.

It was a hot summer night, the roof was rolled back and the three of them were hanging out of the car dancing to the Rolling Stones! 

Needless to say the two policemen from D&CC were very understanding. Their wives working in the NHS led to just the producing of documents at Charles Cross PS.   ;)

Blimey those were the days! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Geez, you had a car when you were a student? I had to walk to Exeter and back when I were a lad in Plymuff..................oh, and I'm surprised you escaped alive from Meavy.

:O

D. Erriford

• RMweb Gold

Robin,

That last shot of the 28xx and the parcels train.... Do I hear Talking Heads singing "Road to no-where"

I know that's 1947 and David Byrne is not even a twinkling in Mr Byrnes eye, but I do wonder :-)

So true Neal hence the idea of placing a tree/s there . Obviously on the prototype the road leads to an overbridge that I chose not to model ! Any ideas ?

• RMweb Gold

Oh no, that bad is it?

P

It's been many a year since I worked there but generally it was good and I worked in an excellent area. ;)

You could have gone to the RN Hospital at Stonehouse....Now that was a proper hospital! :D

I remember when it closed and the QARNNS arrived. :O

• RMweb Gold

So true Neal hence the idea of placing a tree/s there . Obviously on the prototype the road leads to an overbridge that I chose not to model ! Any ideas ?

CK is probably the best person to answer this but the bridge at the west end of Brent Station is some way back from the platforms.

The line curves to the left as it heads towards Aish Crossing.  

With ANTB I guess trees may act as a blocker or you could add the bridge at some point after the goods yard.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin,

Talking of trees have you seen this range?

Reasonable prices and I've seen some good results with them:

https://www.themodeltreeshop.co.uk/trees/plastic-trees/150mm-plus-tall-trees.html

Variety of sizes and the Poplars are very GWR.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Revisiting that area Neal mentioned earlier and had a look at adding a 90 degree extension to the walling.Adding two trees as well makes a difference. The walling is the cast plaster sort sold by Townstreet.

At the moment...

post-126-0-73303900-1446220834_thumb.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi Robin,

Talking of trees have you seen this range?

Reasonable prices and I've seen some good results with them:

https://www.themodeltreeshop.co.uk/trees/plastic-trees/150mm-plus-tall-trees.html

Variety of sizes and the Poplars are very GWR.

Cheers,

Mark

I've actually used that  some of those trees on a layout wot I wrote. Very good value and realistic too.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Revisiting that area Neal mentioned earlier and had a look at adding a 90 degree extension to the walling.Adding two trees as well makes a difference. The walling is the cast plaster sort sold by Townstreet.

At the moment...

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-19895100-1446144959.jpeg

The problem is that corner is too good to lose behind something.

Single storey station  Cafe? or could the road simply curve to the right just before the end so it flows? Both are not prototypical, but would finish it off....

Just a thought, have a good weekend.

• Like 1