A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO offered to buy it for me but I declined as there are needs elsewhere.

Probably no bad thing.  I seriously wonder about the provenance of that as I can't recall ever seeing anything like it previously which leaves me wondering about its exact purpose.  However the letter proportions do look right.

• RMweb Premium

Rob, do you think that in the really hot summer of '47, just before the weather turned very nasty, that the 38XX was pressed into holiday relief service. Later I know but I remember seeing on one or two occasions one of those emerge from Mutley Tunnel with a 'Relief'.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Rob, do you think that in the really hot summer of '47, just before the weather turned very nasty, that the 38XX was pressed into holiday relief service. Later I know but I remember seeing on one or two occasions one of those emerge from Mutley Tunnel with a 'Relief'.

Phil

A 47xx perhaps but I've never seen a 28xx/38xx with coaches.As usual I will probably be shot down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More splendid shots, Rob, but I live, as you know, in 1935, so am confused because someone seems to have fitted cab-side windows and outside steam-pipes to a 2800 (what is an 'XX' anyway? The sort of film I'm not allowed to see, 'probly [sigh]). 

• RMweb Gold

The place and the dog have been intertwined in my mind since I lived in Plymouth. Both the Wacky races and Dastardly & Muttley were favourites of mine as a kid

A great tv series.Not many people realise Penelope Pitstop was modelled on a young Flora Finching.

• RMweb Gold

Just loved those series. Was it Catch the Pigeon or something?

P

Yep that was Dastardly and Muttley, the song was "stop the pigeon" and they used to try to intercept a carrier pigeon with more and more elaborate flying machines. Nobody ever just said "grab a 12 bore!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRsPdzivDrM