A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Edward, maybe not, but there is already a LNER A1 Pacific in production, and the Brighton E Tank and K Class are on the wishlist!  One day I will produce a finescale "North West Region" layout, just to annoy the fanatics!

Forgive me, I did not vote for the Manor, but for a Bulldog and a 43/5300 Mogul, oh, and for Dreadnoughts, Concertinas, Toplights and wood-panelled Auto-coaches, and a GW turntable!

Given the longevity of the 70' types, all GW modellers and WR modellers should be voting for Dreadnoughts etc!

Notice how few pre-grouping era options the other 3 Grouping company adherents were offered, compared with the Great Western.  The poor benighted souls will be stuck modelling the late steam period for ever!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you got one of those GWR-liveried ROD 2-8-0s, Robin?

Best I can do for your Cap'n.  3007 - a note on the back says 'Reading' but I'm not so sure about that in view of the way the coal stage slopes and the lack of background objects such as signals.  In reality I don't think the ones the GW kept longer term were particularly bad engines and they lasted reasonably well considering their origins but i've never knowingly come across anybody who worked on them and they would no doubt have been in poor condition in their later years

post-6859-0-72398900-1445861668_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

I think CK is compiling his Christmas present list for his 'crew'. USA Tanks, RODs, 8Fs. 

Quackeryduckythingy.

Does that mean an all out sausage war ? :))

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean an all out sausage war ? :))

I'm sorry, but the World Health Organisation has now decreed that sausages are as much a risk to public health as cigarettes, and therefore henceforth, sausage consumption will only be allowed outside round the back near the bins.

Al.

I'm sorry, but the World Health Organisation has now decreed that sausages are as much a risk to public health as cigarettes, and therefore henceforth, sausage consumption will only be allowed outside round the back near the bins.

Al.

post-9751-0-50184400-1445876245.jpgpost-9751-0-55306700-1445876295.jpg

Time for another broccoli special from Ponsandane on ANTB then.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't find a picture of my RODs (one whitemetal and t'other Bachmann), but have pictures of my 7200s (one whitemetal and t'other Hornby) for comparison.  All packed away now [sigh].

The lower one looks a lot bigger.

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, just wondered.

Would any other 'wartime' freight locos have lingered in that part of Devon by your era, Robin, such as a Stanier 8F?

All the 8Fs had gone from the GWR by 1947 although there had been some at both Exeter and Newton Abbot.  The S160s seem to have all gone by some time in 1944 although I don't think there were any allocated west of Westbury.  And while I don't think any were allocated that far west the WD 2-8-0s were definitely working into the south-west in the late 1940s as the number on loan to the GWR gradually increased - these were still carrying WD running numbers.  

RODs had ceased to be allocated to the Newton Abbot Division by 1938 and their allocation generally moved northwards and to the Newport Division from then on with numbers decreasing continually elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold

All this talk about what locos I could use but has anyone else voted for one of these either outside or inside framed beauties in the wishlist poll.Why should the SR have all the goodies.

post-126-0-19112500-1445879868_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

All the 8Fs had gone from the GWR by 1947 although there had been some at both Exeter and Newton Abbot.  The S160s seem to have all gone by some time in 1944 although I don't think there were any allocated west of Westbury.  And while I don't think any were allocated that far west the WD 2-8-0s were definitely working into the south-west in the late 1940s as the number on loan to the GWR gradually increased - these were still carrying WD running numbers.  

RODs had ceased to be allocated to the Newton Abbot Division by 1938 and their allocation generally moved northwards and to the Newport Division from then on with numbers decreasing continually elsewhere.

I was under the impression that a good number of 8fs were still on the GWR in 1947. The June 1947 allocations reproduced in The Great Western Railway - 150 Glorious Years by Whitehouse and StJohn Thomas show some around including 8427 at Laira and the table on p176 of David Maidment's new book on Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives shows that most of the Swindon built 8fs weren't 'returned' to the LMS until between early 47 and October 47. So if these sources are anything to go by, I think there's a good enough excuse for an 8F on ANTB!

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw a ROD at Plymuff in 1958; it might well have been 17 as well but I can't BA to see if it had already been scrapped. It was LE going west and could have been going to the Dockyard to be scrapped and turned into a Nuclear Submarine.

Yo.

I saw a ROD at Plymuff in 1958; it might well have been 17 as well but I can't BA to see if it had already been scrapped. It was LE going west and could have been going to the Dockyard to be scrapped and turned into a Nuclear Submarine.

Yo.

Apparently there's another chance to see a ROD in Plymouth in June next year:

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Superstar-Rod-Stewart-play-gig-Home-Park-Plymouth/story-27876849-detail/story.html

The WR wasn't above 'borrowing' Austerities to supplement its own fleet. I've read a tale of a Shedmaster from 'Oop North' on holiday in Glorious Devon in the 1950s, who was stopped at a level crossing. The first train to pass was hauled by one of his Austerities, last reported heading towards Washwood Heath some weeks previously. Then a second freight passed, hauled by..You've guessed it.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This Peter Gray photo from 1953 must show one of the last ROD workings into Devon as 3017 thunders trundles into Newton Abbot on it's way back to Bristol.

http://www.alextrack.co.uk/library/images/model_railways/2mm_finescale/gwr_3000_rod_class/peter_gray_01_xlarge.jpg

Love a van with a tarp.  Seldom modelled sadly........

Thanks for digging this out and posting.

• RMweb Premium

I've stopped the fags, and the beer, and no longer play with asbestos or used engine oil.

No processed meat now, or sugar, and fried food is a thing of the past..........

So I can look forward to living to 110 and a life of total deafness, semi blindness, double incontinence, with no living relatives or friends.

Pass the HP............

Edited by M.I.B