A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

[quote name="46444" post="2063711" timestamp="1445613159"  ;)

Think we need a Castle/Hall fix this weekend Robin.

Also 3864's not been seen recently and the infamous Mogul needs a turn! ;)

Colin Penfold told me a fortnight ago that he was sick of seeing my bloody filthy mogul !

Snap!

Francis Frith seems to have a photo probably taken on the same day judging from the cart wheel markings and  the fact that one of the gents is still impersonating a miniature Narnian centaur with his dog(s):

http://www.francisfrith.com/uk/truro/truro-railway-viaduct-1890_24134

What's on those wagons - surplus cannonballs?

Strange, the two men and the dog are in the same place but everybody else has gone as well as the train.  Same day, a bit later or coincidence?  Often wondered about the cargo; were cannonballs still in vogue in 1890?  Whatever it is, it would appear to be a trainload along with a bit primitive brake van on the end.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Strange, the two men and the dog are in the same place but everybody else has gone as well as the train.  Same day, a bit later or coincidence?  Often wondered about the cargo; were cannonballs still in vogue in 1890?  Whatever it is, it would appear to be a trainload along with a bit primitive brake van on the end.

Brian.

Frith probably took both pictures - he regularly sold pictures for use on postcards and it's not at all unusual to find exactly the same picture (not necessarily by him of course) on several different cards from completely different printers.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. Did anyone spot the GWR invasion from the Crawley MRC on Wright Writes a few days back?

Worth a look.

Incidentistry me no longer posts on thta fred as me's granmar and spilling is nut oop to scartch an neefer is moi muddlin abilitee.

I also kan't undersatnd what some peepole are on about half the tim goin on abart crumpenstaion on shassises and stuff.

Ducky.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all. Did anyone spot the GWR invasion from the Crawley MRC on Wright Writes a few days back?

Worth a look.

Incidentistry me no longer posts on thta fred as me's granmar and spilling is nut oop to scartch an neefer is moi muddlin abilitee.

I also kan't undersatnd what some peepole are on about half the tim goin on abart crumpenstaion on shassises and stuff.

Ducky.

Looks like the Duck has been on the sauce again...

• RMweb Gold

Worth a look.

Ducky.

Maybe I should dig out a view of that big engine for today's pictures - I've even got a postcard view of it (sort of !) on the South Devon seawall but nobody would like that one as the artist clearly had lost of licences.

• Like 1

The ANTB BR Lined Black Autumn Steam Gala scheduled for next week-end may be cancelled after 1018 "County of Leicester", which had worked up from Penzance specially for the event, was attacked by vandals who damaged the motion and attempted to steal the nameplates:

post-9751-0-50975800-1445712372.jpg

The Police report that two "old" ladies were seen fleeing the scene in the early hours of Saturday morning but their inquiries have been met with a wall of silence from the local community.

Edited by cary hill

I had the same problem with my County. The connecting rod falling out of the slides. On mine it was that the plastic slides had become to wide, the solution was to strength them with thin brass wire superglued under the bottom slide and into the cylinder. It seems to work.

• RMweb Premium

I was on a train one time about 1960/1 and the loco threw its right con rod into the 6', As we were doing a fair speed at the time we were lucky not to  have a real pile up. Don't really know what happened  as I was quite young at the time and wasn't allowed to investigate. In fact I can't remember the rest of the journey at all; perhaps I fell asleep!

No need to be sad though as it was a ER Pacific, A1 I think and it was somewhere between Newcastle and Leeds.

P

So then GWR fans, where in the world was this photo of a GWR style footbridge taken?

attachicon.gifrps20151024_222910.jpg

Tragic Mills near Newton Abbot.

Edit..... I was about to change it to Trago but if you've ever been there I think I'll leave it as originally typed :)

Edited by bgman

It's Friday (TFIF) and that can only mean one thing.....

Yes, requests for trains to run over the weekend on Brent and the KMRC news letter.   ;)

Looking at the latter I saw this Bachmann GWR Shock Van.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/40203/37-904-Bachmann-12-Ton-Planked-Shock-Absorbing-Van-Planked-Ends

I know the GWR had shock wagons and this model is a bit generic but can anyone explain the markings on the door?

Not Common User as well.

Cheers,

Mark 

Think we need a Castle/Hall fix this weekend Robin.

Also 3864's not been seen recently and the infamous Mogul needs a turn! ;)

The markings on the door were apparently common to several of these wagons; presumably to make it easier for staff to identify the wagons for Control. These vans were allocated to specific traffics by number; many to tinplate works in the Llanelli area, others to customers such as Huntley and Palmer at Reading. It's a reasonable model of the prototype, though the curve of the roof might be a bit out.

• RMweb Gold

Well, that proves you've not got a one track mind. Beer and moonshine.

Cider and sunshine is a better combination. A sore head this moaning but 3864 still being rostered.

• RMweb Gold

Goodnight or good morning

attachicon.gifMutley%20Station%20colour.jpg

Does anyone know of a larger version of this picture?  Where I took my first train trips to Shaugh Bridge when young (very!) that I can remember.

Brian.

Brian I recall having seen it, or a very similar postcard view, in a book but I have never come across the original card.  Someone is currently selling the same view (but not the original card judging by the price, on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mutley-Railway-Station-Photo-Plymouth-to-Plympton-and-Yealmpton-Lines-GWR-/251570233619?hash=item3a92c12113:g:DoEAAOxyBvZTVRUI

it's also worth clicking on his other views below that pic as there are numerous in the Plymouth area and Devon - you can 'pinch' enlarged view of all of them but they have writing across them to discourage you.

And there are other views of Mutley and Plymouth railway interest on this page

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Collectables-/1/i.html?_jsoff=1&_sop=3&_mPrRngCbx=1&_nkw=mutley

And you were definitely very young if you travelled from there - Mutley closed 9 years before I was born.

Now as Rob wanted a picture of 'The Great Bear' here it is - an extremely fanciful view to say the very least 

post-6859-0-90647200-1445770988_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

So then GWR fans, where in the world was this photo of a GWR style footbridge taken?

attachicon.gifrps20151024_222910.jpg

Now look here you GW chappies, when we said you must convert from the Broad Gauge to the Standard (narrow) Gauge, we meant the same gauge as the other major railways!

Summer's gone ... hibernation time.

Glenn - daan sarf