A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Robin - would you ever consider the possibly heinous option of running a Great Western loco on ANTB, but in BR lined black livery?

I can't confirm or deny any heinous option but I have run lined green BR engines before.Anything goes.

• Like 1

There have been many very fine photos taken from this vantage point for about the last hundred years or so.  Each one a little different of another era, and so much has changed over the years till we are left with the barest skeleton of track which would embarrass the average modeller.  Each picture though, is a joy and a lot can be learned from just this one place.

Brian.

Having not looked in for a day I see there's quite a lot of foodie discussion therefore I've decided to cook up a small dish which is currently on the workbench.......

post-20303-0-98966900-1445544176_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-88606700-1445544193_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-75337000-1445544212_thumb.jpg

Won on a well know auction site this week, its a kit I've wanted for several years. Only part built (chassis frame) I will attempt to do it some justice. Here are 3 photos of progress after an afternoon with the soldering iron, some tinkering to do, but fairly happy so far !

Fish anyone ? :jester:

• Like 11

Having not looked in for a day I see there's quite a lot of foodie discussion therefore I've decided to cook up a small dish which is currently on the workbench.......

attachicon.gifIMG_1413.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1414.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1415.jpg

Won on a well know auction site this week, its a kit I've wanted for several years. Only part built (chassis frame) I will attempt to do it some justice. Here are 3 photos of progress after an afternoon with the soldering iron, some tinkering to do, but fairly happy so far !

Fish anyone ? :jester:

Morning all,

Following my posting yesterday I would like to ask (assuming Rob doesn't mind?) if anyone has seen any photographs of these Fish Wagons being used in service ? If so could you point me towards a specific publication please.

Ive scoured all my GWR publications on the shelf but haven't managed to find an image other than the usual static "posing" shots of single wagons.  :scratchhead:

Thank you for all your likes etc much appreciated and encouraging. 

• RMweb Premium

I can't confirm or deny any heinous option but I have run lined green BR engines before.Anything goes.

Rhinos, and Thomas......................

Any NPCCS and Halls scheduled this weekend Sir?

My full brake mass build is plodding along nicely now. It's time for handrails and T handles.    Will update my thread later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting road markings in Stubby's photo... Double yellow lines at the junction, where I thought it was illegal to park anyway, lines or not, but then apparently no yellow lines across the bridge, which looks too narrow for cars to pass and so stopping would immediately cause an obstruction. Don't you just love local highway authorities...

• Like 2

OK, this viaduct may well be very interesting but if you go to the bottom of the road to the junction you'll find this shop .......

post-20303-0-12940400-1445603445.jpg

Always reminds me of the Python sketch every time I walk past it......

/Red Windsor ?

/Normally sir, yes. Today the van broke down.

/Ah! Stilton ?

/Sorry.

/Gruyere ? Emmental ? 

/No.

/Norwegian Jarlsberg, per chance ?...and so on

One of these days I'm going to chance my arm and try asking next time I'm in Truro !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's Friday (TFIF) and that can only mean one thing.....

Yes, requests for trains to run over the weekend on Brent and the KMRC news letter.   ;)

Looking at the latter I saw this Bachmann GWR Shock Van.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/40203/37-904-Bachmann-12-Ton-Planked-Shock-Absorbing-Van-Planked-Ends

I know the GWR had shock wagons and this model is a bit generic but can anyone explain the markings on the door?

Not Common User as well.

Cheers,

Mark 

Think we need a Castle/Hall fix this weekend Robin.

Also 3864's not been seen recently and the infamous Mogul needs a turn! ;)

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Interesting road markings in Stubby's photo... Double yellow lines at the junction, where I thought it was illegal to park anyway, lines or not, but then apparently no yellow lines across the bridge, which looks too narrow for cars to pass and so stopping would immediately cause an obstruction. Don't you just love local highway authorities...

As I understand it in high risk areas and areas where yellow lines are in place it is considered good practice to place double yellows on corners rather than rely on motorists knowing that they must not park within 15m of a junction regardless of road markings. As you can imagine if there were yellow lines everywhere except on the corners - idiots would park on the corners

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

It's Friday (TFIF) and that can only mean one thing.....

Yes, requests for trains to run over the weekend on Brent and the KMRC news letter.   ;)

Looking at the latter I saw this Bachmann GWR Shock Van.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/40203/37-904-Bachmann-12-Ton-Planked-Shock-Absorbing-Van-Planked-Ends[/url

Think we need a Castle/Hall fix this weekend Robin.

Also 3864's not been seen recently and the infamous Mogul needs a turn! ;)

h

You don't want much do you.

I'll leave you tonight with this pretty picture

attachicon.gif800px-Carvedras_Viaduct.jpg

See what we've missed!

Brian.

Snap!

Francis Frith seems to have a photo probably taken on the same day judging from the cart wheel markings and  the fact that one of the gents is still impersonating a miniature Narnian centaur with his dog(s):

http://www.francisfrith.com/uk/truro/truro-railway-viaduct-1890_24134

What's on those wagons - surplus cannonballs?

Edited by cary hill