A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Even more spiffing than that although you might be a bit upset to find a cousin from Gressingham on the menu let alone a long lost relative from China lurking there

http://royaloakgretton.co.uk/?page_id=869 

• RMweb Gold

One can take luncheon at the Royal Oak in Gretton and watch the trains go by. What Ho!

Is that Gretton (Not too) near Corby where you can watch EMT Meridians heading towards Oakham over the Harringingworth Viaduct? :D

Edited by 46444

Is that Gretton (Not too) near Corby where you can watch EMT Meridians heading towards Oakham over the Harringingworth Viaduct? :D

No, it's Gretton near Winchcombe. The pub overlooks the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway.

• RMweb Gold

Even more spiffing than that although you might be a bit upset to find a cousin from Gressingham on the menu let alone a long lost relative from China lurking there

http://royaloakgretton.co.uk/?page_id=869 

A bit more expensive than my usual eating establishments.Nice looking place though.

No, it's Gretton near Winchcombe. The pub overlooks the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway.

And I find it's an excellent marker for putting the blower on before going into the tunnel. I can also recommend the GWSR for a day out, even though I'm biased.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, thats the less than helpful part of the menu - at an office Christmas Dinner a few years ago i had a side order of chips with the mash on the main dish; eminently civilised way of eating spuds in my view.

You can always order the Irish mixed grill - Mash potato, boiled potato, sauté potato and chips

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I once stopped in Winchcombe to check out a fish bar.

I went there once. What a plaice, it had no sole, there was a cod in the corner who was drinking too much for the good of his liver, and a herring who was well and truly soused.  There was a piano in the corner being played by a bearded old bloke with 10 fish fingers. The piano badly needed a tuna. The owner was called Rod, as I remember and the barmaid was Anette, she was a real catch.  While I was there a whale came in with a very ill looking octopus. Rod asked him what was going on and the whale said "I brought in that six quid I owe you."  An Englishman came in on his own. There should have been an Irishman, a Scotsman and a Welshman with him but they were still at the rugby. There was  a bloke at the bar with a mullet, and a really bad haircut. The bar was half empty even on a Friday, being so far from the sea they found it difficult to fillet.

• Like 2

I went there once. What a plaice, it had no sole, there was a cod in the corner who was drinking too much for the good of his liver, and a herring who was well and truly soused.  There was a piano in the corner being played by a bearded old bloke with 10 fish fingers. The piano badly needed a tuna. The owner was called Rod, as I remember and the barmaid was Anette, she was a real catch.  While I was there a whale came in with a very ill looking octopus. Rod asked him what was going on and the whale said "I brought in that six quid I owe you."  An Englishman came in on his own. There should have been an Irishman, a Scotsman and a Welshman with him but they were still at the rugby. There was  a bloke at the bar with a mullet, and a really bad haircut. The bar was half empty even on a Friday, being so far from the sea they found it difficult to fillet.

Nooooooooooooooo !!!!!, ... to much 'piscean' humour is bad for the skin; I'm wrinkly enough.

Drink!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can always order the Irish mixed grill - Mash potato, boiled potato, sauté potato and chips

Berni Inn circa 1978

Prawn Cocktail to start

Rump steak and chips main

Black Forest Gateux pudding.

Irish Coffee and mints.

Happy days, so my Mother tells me.

• Like 2

Thanks Tom. Bias accepted. What would you recommend re a visit by us lot if you don't mind spending a few minutes helping out?

many thanks 

Phil

On the railway, the Sheds, the diesel one is normally open on weekends and if you contact carriage and wagon then they might be able to give a guided tour to a group (I know they've done it in the past) but I can't guarantee anything. The steam shed isn't normally open because of the nature of the floor and the work done. The cafes at Toddington and Winchcombe are always good as well along with the small museums and the train ride of course. I don't know much about it but the talk of added restaurant cars on a train earlier looks to be happening at some point with the refurbishment of a FO.

Off the railway, Stanway House ( the tallest gravity fed fountain and the remains of Hailes Abbey (english heritage) are good if you like old buildings. The Royal Oak at Gretton (mentioned above) always used to be good, it had a change of owners and I haven't been back since but only because I haven't ever been in that neck of woods around lunch time, I've heard it's still quite good though. The Corner Cupboard in Winchcombe is also good (http://www.cornercupboardwinchcombe.co.uk/ the usual no links to them)

• RMweb Gold

Berni Inn circa 1978

Prawn Cocktail to start

Rump steak and chips main

Black Forest Gateux pudding.

Irish Coffee and mints.

Happy days, so my Mother tells me.

Is that with a bottle of Blue Nun?! ;)

Berni Inns ad with plenty of 1970s sexism thrown in for free:

post-9751-0-64246700-1445518143.jpg

"Has the missus burnt the dinner again......better eat out then...."

"It's not the cooker that needs changing it's the cook....."

I think the 2015 remake would show the gent wearing burnt spag bol on his head.

• RMweb Gold

Is that with a bottle of Blue Nun?! ;)

'Course not - Mateus Rose innit  (mind you say what you like about 'em the steak was usually reasonable and the Irish Coffee was top notch (especially if you could persuade them to do a double).

Now talking of trains we'll pop back to an era when the Finching ladies were but slips of lasses and havea  look at Newton Abbot on this nice Frith postcard.  An early 20th century view with the broad gauge gone and taken and published in plenty of time to get the card on sale in order for it to be posted at 4.15pm in the afternoon of 'a glorious hot day' on the 20th of May 1908.  The card was probably bought at the station as the sender explains that having finished his business in Newton he is about to leave for Teignmouth because it is Early Closing Day in Torquay so he will be going there tomorrow.

post-6859-0-70000000-1445520386_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

A pretty brand new toplight (in Lake?) with a destination board off an express, so either being shunted by the Pannier or attached to humbler coaches to form a local for the Torbay line?

I notice those Ratio 4-wheelers have cropped up again! 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1