A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid I don't like Hunts that much as I have found some of the participants to be a little arrogant r.

I hate "horsey" people.  So many of them can't ride and don't know how to treat animals properly.

Anyway - on with the railway thing stuff whotsits........

Lots of interesting stuff today and all rail related too!  I agree with what Colin mentions and I like pictures because it shows me how others layouts look and what stock they have.  Being virtually all GW, suits me and in my old part of the world.  As to odd stock, I don't have trouble with that as my trains are the same!

As to bankers, etc, one of my favourite spotting locales was halfway up Hemerdon and any train of any length usually was banked, presumably from Tavistock Junction. It didn't seem as though there were dedicated bankers, more like whatever Laira had to spare.   At that time, it was heavily forested near the top of the bank but nothing ever came to a halt because of leaves.  Good spot for conkers too!

Totnes Quay line always fascinated me also.  I never really knew how it was accessed.  One reference said it was from the goods shed line but eventually found out it was off the down main. In those days there were always a couple of trucks beside the river but I never knew for whom or why.  Did actually witness a Pannier on a train on the other side of the crossing on our way to Paignton for the day so no chance of stopping but it did provide a few spotting moments from the footbridge while everybody else went shopping.  Incidentally, if you've not experienced going up the hill out of Totnes in a Standard Nine with five up, you haven't lived!

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking back at my weekend photos and this thread amazes me sometimes.A few photos of an incorrectly formed train gets loads of likes but sometimes a correctly formed large express gets hardly any.Can anyone explain the logic,not that you get much of that or accuracy on here.

I have thought about this and no, I cannot explain this. Maybe we just like the look of it. If some thing looks right then generally...it is right.....or not.....maybe......told you. I can't.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I have thought about this and no, I cannot explain this. Maybe we just like the look of it. If some thing looks right then generally...it is right.....or not.....maybe......told you. I can't.

Rob.

That's me safe then.......................

Quack

• RMweb Premium

Bankers (no, not that lot) and double heading virtually eliminated that. I think there used to be a loco kept in the refuge just after Aller Junction, at the foot of the bank just in case?

There were often banking loco's at Totnes as well I believe; often 'big' tanks.

Could be completely wrong of course...............

Next year's ANTB picnic. How about the G & W Railway (sorry Spams). Cheltenham achievable for some. Colin could get to (say) Derby or Chesterfield and I could pick him up; B & B available before return. Not fussed about posh lunch and Mike tells me it doesn't look like they do them. Quite happy with a butty I be.

Any other thoughts? I'd do the WS Railway, despite the distance. Bluebell as well.

Phil

Probably just a bit too far for me Phil.

• RMweb Premium

One of the advantages of being friends with two of the country's top Southern modellers is getting new releases quickly.Joking !

attachicon.gifDSCN7178.jpg

This threads favourite tank shunts the new van.

attachicon.gifDSCN7184.jpg

Underframe detail is superb.

attachicon.gifDSCN7182.jpg

That van passed away quite quickly. You must learn CCTPR................

gone and not coming back (yet).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Skype? We could all come to you?  :scratchhead:

P

Skype would be fine if you all don't mind having your picnic in the middle of the night. Real as opposed to virtual visitors always welcome for a barbie and a drop of red (oh, and playing trains too).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Skype would be fine if you all don't mind having your picnic in the middle of the night. Real as opposed to virtual visitors always welcome for a barbie and a drop of red (oh, and playing trains too).

Very welcoming but we would have to bring the sausages (assuming we could get them past the guardians of Aussie culinary purity at the airport - however I did get a packet of Eccles Cakes past them, but they attracted quite a crowd of slightly puzzled Customs officials).

And you can get a reasonable breakfast over there - but it can cost

post-6859-0-11663500-1445338693_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Very welcoming but we would have to bring the sausages (assuming we could get them past the guardians of Aussie culinary purity at the airport - however I did get a packet of Eccles Cakes past them, but they attracted quite a crowd of slightly puzzled Customs officials).

And you can get a reasonable breakfast over there - but it can cost

attachicon.gif067_DS~1.jpg

Sausages wouldn't be easy - anything with meat in it tends to get stopped. Otherwise as long as they are prepacked and/or the ingredients are identified most things will get the nod (except New Zealand apples of course). Anyway, we can get some pretty good snags, as they are known here.

The only time I have had trouble with food and airport security was getting a Marks and Spencer Christmas pudding out of Singapore. The poor girl on the X-ray machine thought it looked like a bomb, and had no idea what a Christmas pud was. All worked out in the end though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having been away all weekend and suffered at the hands of whoever abolished the railway staff priv rate for the London Underground without telling me, I can say that the Glos & Warwicks would be a great choice for a reunion, as far as I am concerned, or the WSR, both equally excellent railways.

I consumed no sausages whilst in the London area.

• RMweb Gold

Having been away all weekend and suffered at the hands of whoever abolished the railway staff priv rate for the London Underground without telling me, I can say that the Glos & Warwicks would be a great choice for a reunion, as far as I am concerned, or the WSR, both equally excellent railways.

I consumed no sausages whilst in the London area.

Nothing on the ATOC site about withdrawal of Priv facilities on LUL (but I'm assuming your Staff Travel Card has the correct endorsements on it - well worth checking).  However if you couldn't buy a ticket because there wasn't a  staffed booking office then Plan B is recommended and you should apply for a Priv Rate Oystercard.  Admittedly the latter seems a bit of a palaver, so much so that in the end we didn't bother with doing it that way for Mrs Stationmaster and just went for an ordinary Oystercard.  Incidentally you can use the Oystercard on LUL owned 'bus routes but it is debited at full public fare.  (Doesn't worry me as I have a  perpetually renewing Oystercard which is gratis - all a mater of retiring in the right grade from the right place).

And don't forget if you have a Blue Status Pass (or better) you can use it on certain parts of the UndergrounD although which parts depends on which Region (or ideally 'All Stations') is entered on the pass.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, I have a full entitlement to the usual priv rates on the Underground, and I was at Marylebone, which is a staffed office. The best they could do was tell me to swipe my contactless credit card over the ticket barriers and get debited that way (and use a second card for CTMK's ticket and save money that way). This we did, because we were with others and couldn't delay the party, but I have no idea exactly how much I have spent.

Next year's ANTB picnic. How about the G & W Railway (sorry Spams). Cheltenham achievable for some. Colin could get to (say) Derby or Chesterfield and I could pick him up; B & B available before return. Not fussed about posh lunch and Mike tells me it doesn't look like they do them. Quite happy with a butty I be.

Any other thoughts? I'd do the WS Railway, despite the distance. Bluebell as well.

Phil

Bluebell would be a possibility....

• RMweb Premium

Bluebell is far less expensive to dine at in their Restaurant (booze available) and the food is pretty good.

Lundin is a bit of a hike for some and easy for most, but I think it would be challenging to get off peak fares and get in a Bluebell visit for Rob. (I've got family in Croydon so I can stay over). However I'm informed that certain operators offer early doors reduced fares to the City on a Saturday. Would that apply to Coventry and Norwich area services?

G & W may have a snack service (bacon butties etc). I know the sit down GC meal was lovely and I really enjoyed the occasion, but it would be good to 'circulate'.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A nice pub lunch would suit the pocket more than a dining train and most preserved lines have one in the vicinity. The downside with the GWSR is lack of public transport.

• RMweb Gold

Every third Sunday , or something like that, the bluebell gets their Director's coach out. It's ecxGNR I think. You can book it and they serve afternoon tea. Whilst set out in tables, it's not as rigid as a dining car.

Mrs Clearwater approved.

• RMweb Premium

A nice pub lunch would suit the pocket more than a dining train and most preserved lines have one in the vicinity. The downside with the GWSR is lack of public transport.

Yes, pub lunch would do me too. If you can get to Cheltenham Rob I can collect/drop you. We have family in Ross on Wye so I'd be staying in the area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, pub lunch would do me too. If you can get to Cheltenham Rob I can collect/drop you. We have family in Ross on Wye so I'd be staying in the area.

P

It wouldn't be a problem for me to drive to Toddington, it's only an hour from Brent.For others it would be a trek.

• RMweb Premium

It wouldn't be a problem for me to drive to Toddington, it's only an hour from Brent.For others it would be a trek.

My vehicle can take 4 passengers; five at a real push (kids seats in back!). However, a Plan B would be required in case I'm 'indisposed'.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

There's a pub in Winchcombe (can't remember the name) opposite the station, with a garden which backs onto the railway.

• Like 2