A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

The local hunt would probably not have used boxes because their stable staff and hunt servants would have ridden, gently, the horses to the meet, perhaps even the night before.  The particiants would have turned up to the meet by motor, or a general riding horse and met their hunters there.

The horseboxes would have brought visitors from another hunt, perhaps the local Lord asked a fellow huntsman down from Bath etc.  His horse would have travelled, with groom, in advance.

Cattle pens are not the best place to unload a hunter - I have seen pictures, in old equestrian books, of hunters coming off in bay platforms - more space - a hunter will probably fly out of a horsebox ( as they do nowadays from lorries) because of both the journey and the in-bred desire to "get going". 

post-10306-0-25457000-1445203162_thumb.jpg

This is my hunter "Big Dog".  He comes out of his box like a 3/4 ton brown furry exocet when the door is open,  and I would not let him out into a sheep pen - not enough room.

However,  putting the "empties" over by the cattle pens is a good idea - great place to load from.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

What a great set of photos! ;)

Thanks for posting them and by all accounts it looks as if the Spooners and West Devon Hunt visit was a success! ;)  Great to learn stuff from an historical perspective as well which helps in running accurate train formations. 

On a lighter note I've just got back to GoC from said place and by all accounts the meeting caused quite a stir riding up Station Road towards Harbourneford.  Apparently 2 ladies were seen staggering around Brent with stirrup cups full of sloe gin singing 'We've got a lovely bunch of Coconuts!' 

Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

The local hunt would probably not have used boxes because their stable staff and hunt servants would have ridden, gently, the horses to the meet, perhaps even the night before.  The particiants would have turned up to the meet by motor, or a general riding horse and met their hunters there.

The horseboxes would have brought visitors from another hunt, perhaps the local Lord asked a fellow huntsman down from Bath etc.  His horse would have travelled, with groom, in advance.

Cattle pens are not the best place to unload a hunter - I have seen pictures, in old equestrian books, of hunters coming off in bay platforms - more space - a hunter will probably fly out of a horsebox ( as they do nowadays from lorries) because of both the journey and the in-bred desire to "get going". 

attachicon.gif091.JPG

This is my hunter "Big Dog".  He comes out of his box like a 3/4 ton brown furry exocet when the door is open,  and I would not let him out into a sheep pen - not enough room.

However,  putting the "empties" over by the cattle pens is a good idea - great place to load from.

I don't know much about horses but 'Big Dog' certainly has some fine form and doesn't look like your average dobbin!.

Lovely picture.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif091.JPG

Lovely shot. Many years ago, when I should have been chasing steam in its dying days around 83D in 1963, I instead went to work on Saturdays at some stables near the Moorland Links Hotel outside Plymuff (near Yelverton) . You see, I was the only 'lad' apart from the Gaffer (lovely old boy called Jonny Wannacott). Just the once I had to ride out on Jonny's 17.5 hands ex hunter, leading the hack. That was one experience I can tell you. It was like sitting on a bundle of wound up muscle; well it was a bundle of wound up muscle and it didn't like my heavy hands much either! Great ride though (no sniggering yet again you naughty fellows).

I'm afraid I don't like Hunts that much as I have found some of the participants to be a little arrogant but Point to point, now that's a different matter.

N. Eddy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shot. Many years ago, when I should have been chasing steam in its dying days around 83D in 1963, I instead went to work on Saturdays at some stables near the Moorland Links Hotel outside Plymuff (near Yelverton) . You see, I was the only 'lad' apart from the Gaffer (lovely old boy called Jonny Wannacott). Just the once I had to ride out on Jonny's 17.5 hands ex hunter, leading the hack. That was one experience I can tell you. It was like sitting on a bundle of wound up muscle; well it was a bundle of wound up muscle and it didn't like my heavy hands much either! Great ride though (no sniggering yet again you naughty fellows).

I'm afraid I don't like Hunts that much as I have found some of the participants to be a little arrogant but Point to point, now that's a different matter.

N. Eddy

Dear Nelson,

Haven't heard much about you in a while. How's Jeannette doing these days?

F. Ilmbuff.

• RMweb Gold

Looking back at my weekend photos and this thread amazes me sometimes.A few photos of an incorrectly formed train gets loads of likes but sometimes a correctly formed large express gets hardly any.Can anyone explain the logic,not that you get much of that or accuracy on here.

• RMweb Gold

With autumn well and truly with us and the RHTT in full swing in South Devon how would steam locos cope on the wet greasy rails up to Marley Head Tunnel and down to Brent? Obviously sanding gear would be applied but if the loco stalled on the bank what would be the course of action? 

Would it be assisted by the following train pushing it up towards Marley Head or would a banker be dispatched from Totnes or Newton?

I'm just thinking of scenarios for Robin to model. I'd also imagine the lineside trees were well managed preventing such incidents?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking back at my weekend photos and this thread amazes me sometimes.A few photos of an incorrectly formed train gets loads of likes but sometimes a correctly formed large express gets hardly any.Can anyone explain the logic,not that you get much of that or accuracy on here.

I would say that it just goes to show we like the smaller trains. Although a Castle thundering through Brent would get a like from me!

Number 1 Rule Rob !

• RMweb Premium

With autumn well and truly with us and the RHTT in full swing in South Devon how would steam locos cope on the wet greasy rails up to Marley Head Tunnel and down to Brent? Obviously sanding gear would be applied but if the loco stalled on the bank what would be the course of action? 

Would it be assisted by the following train pushing it up towards Marley Head or would a banker be dispatched from Totnes or Newton?

I'm just thinking of scenarios for Robin to model. I'd also imagine the lineside trees were well managed preventing such incidents?

Cheers,

Mark

Back in steam days the vegetation was kept down, fence to fence, so there was very little if any leaves on the rails plus the fact that kettles have a somewhat heavier axle loading slipping would have been relatively rare except perhaps on heavy unfitted freights and as you say there were the sanders. If a driver thought the conditions would give him trouble he would have a pilot or banker before coming to grief, although no doubt there were occasions when this happened.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Mark

Bankers (no, not that lot) and double heading virtually eliminated that. I think there used to be a loco kept in the refuge just after Aller Junction, at the foot of the bank just in case?

There were often banking loco's at Totnes as well I believe; often 'big' tanks.

Could be completely wrong of course...............

Next year's ANTB picnic. How about the G & W Railway (sorry Spams). Cheltenham achievable for some. Colin could get to (say) Derby or Chesterfield and I could pick him up; B & B available before return. Not fussed about posh lunch and Mike tells me it doesn't look like they do them. Quite happy with a butty I be.

Any other thoughts? I'd do the WS Railway, despite the distance. Bluebell as well.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Well, I don't know what formations are accurate for 1947; I had assumed that all your formations were accurate and I am shocked, shocked, I say, at the suggestion this is not so!

I just tick the pictures of your stunning layout, particularly when graced with Swindon's finest in their native liveries. 

• RMweb Gold

In the '30s 3150s used to hang about Totnes Goods Shed between turns, judging from several photographs in which they are to be spotted.

What I wonder about is shunting the Quay Branch.  It was loco shunted up to a point, after which horses took over.  Did the locos from the trip goods do this, or did they take advantage of the apparently regular presence of the bankers? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would say that it just goes to show we like the smaller trains. Although a Castle thundering through Brent would get a like from me!

If there was a 'naughty' or missing coach in a formation then there would be fury beyond that which you have ever witnessed (not from me I hasten to add.)

The main reason I am trying to build a layout is so that I can annoy as many persons as possible (more than I already annoy) by running :

trains with no lamps;

trains with the wrong loco/coaches/ wagons/ people on it;

incorrect livery stuff;

trains from the wrong era;

trains going the 'wrong' way;

coaches with no people in;

coaches with people in;

coaches without destination boards;

coaches with the wrong destination boards;

coaches with incorrect bogies;

RTR stuff that maybe right or not quite right;

kit built stuff that isn't quite right;

Thomas;

Stove R without a stove..............................

nothing when there should be something.

Then there's the detail of the scenics, the cliches, the fences without wire, the poles without wire, the signalman's kettle being incorrect for the day I am depicting..................................................................................................

that'll do as I could go on for hours.

It is going to be so much fun.................................. :onthequiet:

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Bankers (no, not that lot) and double heading virtually eliminated that. I think there used to be a loco kept in the refuge just after Aller Junction, at the foot of the bank just in case?

There were often banking loco's at Totnes as well I believe; often 'big' tanks.

Could be completely wrong of course...............

Next year's ANTB picnic. How about the G & W Railway (sorry Spams). Cheltenham achievable for some. Colin could get to (say) Derby or Chesterfield and I could pick him up; B & B available before return. Not fussed about posh lunch and Mike tells me it doesn't look like they do them. Quite happy with a butty I be.

Any other thoughts? I'd do the WS Railway, despite the distance. Bluebell as well.

Phil

Ooh, Broadway - looks like the Finching girls got there first

post-6859-0-74663200-1445271376.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We could do a 'dress up in Edwardian (sorry mate) costume' event. Begs I be Minni F. (Thus starting a whole flurry of inappropriate  historic pictures with hilarious captions including a sausages comment from you know who).

P

• RMweb Gold

For me mate, I like your trains. I don't know enough to comment on the formations etc,  If I see a picture I like, I click like. If  I don't click like I was probably doing something less important at the time and didn't see it. The only pictures I am less keen on are the "sequence" shots where you have a number of frames of the same train moving through the scene. For me a couple of well-composed portraits would be enough. Certainly no long train/short train bias from me, and I like all the locos (you know my favourite is your mogul though, don't you)

• RMweb Gold

One of the advantages of being friends with two of the country's top Southern modellers is getting new releases quickly.Joking !

post-126-0-03782500-1445274779_thumb.jpg

This threads favourite tank shunts the new van.

post-126-0-16799100-1445274809_thumb.jpg

Underframe detail is superb.

post-126-0-63519800-1445274831_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

One of the advantages of being friends with two of the country's top Southern modellers is getting new releases quickly.Joking !

attachicon.gifDSCN7178.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7184.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7182.jpg

Thanks for the review Rob, mine turned up this morning. The SR version is about perfect, the dark green is about right to my eyes and the correct gilt lettering is used.

The BR green version has overhead warning signs at each end; I'm not too sure about those, but no doubt some would have gained them.

Glenn from darn saaf

• RMweb Premium

We could do a 'dress up in Edwardian (sorry mate) costume' event. Begs I be Minni F. (Thus starting a whole flurry of inappropriate  historic pictures with hilarious captions including a sausages comment from you know who).

P

There's nothing like a Dame, probably Edna Everage. I have to say that the bog mindles at the thought of you dressed like that. Pity it's not possible to award oneself a friendly and supportive in such circumstances.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN7178.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7184.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7182.jpg

Being Southern i suppose it should have the American touch........Whitewall Rims hmmm?  :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Being Southern i suppose it should have the American touch........Whitewall Rims hmmm?  :nono:

Bachmann do that with their private owner wagons too . I've never understood why.