A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Mr.Mad from Madchester has decided to have more food for thought given his liking for GWR locos and placed an order of side delights to savour .......

post-20303-0-75595300-1444426231.jpeg

A colourful dish followed by the main course.....

post-20303-0-61292000-1444426252.jpeg

Not quite full but feeling very satisfied for the evening :)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I am clearly missing the point here..........Victorian Heath Robinson steam locomotives.........or Norwegian cross country blondes......ummm......let me think about this......nope blonde it is....

post-14122-0-63985000-1444427805_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I am clearly missing the point here..........Victorian Heath Robinson steam locomotives.........or Norwegian cross country blondes......ummm......let me think about this......nope blonde it is....

Nope..... Somerset Sepia girls for me !

post-20303-0-21653600-1444432742_thumb.png

:jester:

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I put a K's Grange body on a Bachmann Manor chassis once. Only once. I'll try to find a photo of it.

Here's the beast in question:

post-21039-0-65297300-1444463294_thumb.jpg

The biggest challenge was widening the firebox to fit round the motor. Even after thinning down the sides as much as I dared, there was still a gap in the firebox top about 3 mm wide that needed to be filled. The main giveaway is that the firebox overlaps the cab spectacles a little.

My other four Granges are the Hornby RTR version.

• Like 3

Here's the beast in question:

attachicon.gif20151010 001 ex-GWR Grange 6809 Burghclere Grange.JPG

The biggest challenge was widening the firebox to fit round the motor. Even after thinning down the sides as much as I dared, there was still a gap in the firebox top about 3 mm wide that needed to be filled. The main giveaway is that the firebox overlaps the cab spectacles a little.

My other four Granges are the Hornby RTR version.

Interesting adaptation there. I suppose the thing these days is to put a Bachmann Manor body onto a Hornby Grange chassis if one wants to go DCC and save themselves the bother of converting the split-chassis.

I wonder how long this thread will stay on GWR or Brent topic? I'm only here for the railway modelling and so too much facebook junior-chat gives no reason to visit.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how long this thread will stay on GWR or Brent topic? I'm only here for the railway modelling and so too much facebook junior-chat gives no reason to visit.

It usually comes back to one or both, Larry. So before I launch some more junior facebook chat (whatever that is, because I don't 'do' FB), here are a couple of items related to both subjects:

1) In the Kernow Models weekly newsletter this week, they say they're having a delivery of a new Hornby County (4-6-0) - is this a new model or simply the old Airfix one?

2) Whilst walking through Brent goods yard yesterday, I was told that the occupier of the horrid factory units that adjoin the goods shed want to build a 3-storey block on the end, which will dominate the whole area. It got kicked out of the Dartmoor National Park Planning Committee once already, but now they've put in a new application for the same thing. In the meantime, they've gone and put petty little 'No Parking, this are PD Devices spaces' signs up all over the place, even though they can't enforce it. I think they're having a bit of a strop with the locals...

• Like 1

In the Kernow Models weekly newsletter this week, they say they're having a delivery of a new Hornby County (4-6-0) - is this a new model or simply the old Airfix one?

post-6680-0-33209000-1444467756.jpg

Going off the illustration, the usual, or unusual, missing chunk of lower boiler remains and so 'New release' is probably not 'new model'. I am not well up on these Railroad Models but I presume the County 4-6-0 has loco-drive(?) in which case I am sure this model serves as a good innexpensive basis for super-detailing...

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifWEB County 2.jpg

Going off the illustration, the usual, or unusual, missing chunk of lower boiler remains and so 'New release' is probably not 'new model'. I am not well up on these Railroad Models but I presume the County 4-6-0 has loco-drive(?) in which case I am sure this model serves as a good innexpensive basis for super-detailing...

Good point, in which case it does seem to be the original model.

But when Tim Shackleton did an upgrade of the old Airfix one in his book 'Plastic Bodied Locos', he described a fairly major rebuild of the firebox area as being necessary, due to the width of the original Airfix motor. I wonder if that was ever corrected by Hornby?

• RMweb Gold

But when Tim Shackleton did an upgrade of the old Airfix one in his book 'Plastic Bodied Locos', he described a fairly major rebuild of the firebox area as being necessary, due to the width of the original Airfix motor. I wonder if that was ever corrected by Hornby?

Unlikely CK. I am pretty certain Hornby have not changed the basic moulding, though I stand to be corrected..........preferably by a Norwegian blonde who is an authority on the subject.....Counties....not correction.....although.....

Where's Crownline when you need them?

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting adaptation there. I suppose the thing these days is to put a Bachmann Manor body onto a Hornby Grange chassis if one wants to go DCC and save themselves the bother of converting the split-chassis.

Larry, I don't think this thread would survive on just my measly photos of the layout even with a Castle on seven coaches . I'm happy with off topic chat in small doses and have made some friends along the way.

Larry, I don't think this thread would survive on just my measly photos of the layout even with a Castle on seven coaches . I'm happy with off topic chat in small doses and have made some friends along the way.

Someone had made several attempts to get the thread back on topic but it clearly wasn't working, so I guess this is what got me going this morning.  I realise now I am out of step after reading your very understandable comment as Brent thread owner. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Someone mentioned Somerset Girls in sepia.  Google image search is a wonderful thing:

How do you know that they are all from Somerset? Or are just some of them from Somerset, but the others are claiming asylum?

Is that a Somerset field? If so, how can you tell? I've lived in Somerset, and I now live in Devon, but I've seen fields like that elsewhere as well (in Wiltshire, perhaps?).

I did have some Cumberland sausage for lunch, in a toasted sandwich, which was served in a coffee shop, itself located inside a bookshop, which itself was located within a larger shopping complex that also sells it's own vouchers. I blame Hamilton Academicals.

A Southern engine and a BR Standard engine, running over GWR tracks that would soon lead them through Brent, a little while after these photos were taken:

attachicon.gifIMG_4399.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4405.JPG

Are those two about to be taken off to be replaced by something useful, a 460 perhaps. Can't see that pair of weight distribution accidents waiting to happen making it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifWEB County 2.jpg

Unlikely CK. I am pretty certain Hornby have not changed the basic moulding, though I stand to be corrected..........preferably by a Norwegian blonde who is an authority on the subject.....Counties....not correction.....although.....

Where's Crownline when you need them?

Rob.

It is and it isn't the original moulding.  To explain further the original didn't have that whopping great hole under the boiler - that seems to be some sort of Hornby aberration to enable a chip to be fitted according to one report I was reading last night.  Now as to why i was doing a bit of 'net delving - well the paint job/lining doesn't look too bad (if it's really like that?) so it might make a basis for further, hmm,  'work'.  Ah but it wouldn't half mean a lot of work - the biggest problem is the firebox which slopes too steeply down to the cab which probably puts the shape of it right out of kilter as well.  I'm not sure if the cab is absolutely right but it isn't too far off.  To me the boiler looks a bit on the skinny side (which might be down to that whopping great hole of course) and the cylinders/smokebox saddle/smokebox area also doesn't seem quite right - something about the proportions I think.

So I saved my money at the Farrnham show today, also resisted the very tempting BR lined version of Mr Kernow's O2, and did the sensible thing and bought an illuminated magnifier which might at least let me actually see a 16BA nut & bolt once again.

And as we're talking about Mr Hawksworth forward looking 4-6-0 engine I'll add this pic which was taken by a very young,  many years pre Stationmaster, me.  The poor quality of the photo might be slightly excused (I hope) as it shows 1028 at Reading very recently outshopped from Swindon after being fitted with a double chimney in August 1958.

post-6859-0-86304800-1444497944_thumb.jpg

• Like 15