A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as no one commented on the 0-6-2T's insignia, it is the 1942-1945 sans-serif style lettering 'GWR' believed to have been mostly handpainted at works other than Swindon due to lack of transfers during the war. Probably more appropriate on wartime black though with brass and copper painted over.

The wartime black engines had specific letters, with no gilt.  Just red and yellow.

I thought that the lettering on the tank is hand painted, and its font is called something brutal like "Monster".

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1

The wartime black engines had specific letters, with no gilt.  Just red and yellow.

I thought that the lettering on the tank is hand painted, and its font is called something brutal like "Monster".

I think, iirc, the font was named 'Grotesque', and was in fact a Caerphilly Works speciality? Moreover, it seems to have only been applied to locos going through an intermediate overhaul at that works, which would naturally leave a preponderance of the South Wales tanks sporting the livery; 56/42/52/72xx's and the like. Indeed, I recently saw a photo of a 72xx in that very livery, dated around 1947 I believe.

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as no one commented on the 0-6-2T's insignia, it is the 1942-1945 sans-serif style lettering 'GWR' believed to have been mostly handpainted at works other than Swindon due to lack of transfers during the war. Probably more appropriate on wartime black though with brass and copper painted over.

The thing which interests me about it - apart from the green (which might well be 'explainable') - is the fact that the lettering is in gold and not yellow.  The GWS lads seem to be pretty good on original research and careful checking of detail so that could mean that the colours are accurate but it has always struck me as something of an oddity.

Another thing is taht comparison witha  published photo suggests that more than one font (or more than one painter?) was involved as the lettering style does show variations.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely.

I'm standing by my sausages, by the way, they're not guilty, no matter what evidence the Authorities bring against them.

I understand. My sausage was previously the subject of malicious rumour. I stood by it and what a fine upstanding pillar of the local community my sausage turned out to be.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Not to worry, Rob, you can't be expected to come up with a new layout just for variety.  Most forums rely on participation which fortunately this thread has plenty of.  I try and feature pictures on the Coarse Scale forum every so often just to keep it alive, not a lot happens otherwise but there are only half a dozen or so who seem interested.  Here, if the worst comes to the worst, you can always have a picture of Jenny; that usually wakes up a few!

Brian.

The mere mention of JA seems to have woken the Duck up, if nobody else.

• RMweb Gold
Siberian Snooper, on 09 Oct 2015 - 08:57, said:

The mere mention of JA seems to have woken the Duck up, if nobody else.

I suspect most of us find JA a slightly more appealing aside than details of a member's sausage, or indeed any silly sausage's member.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now for something completely different -

attachicon.gifDSCF0013.jpg

I'm so old I actually saw that working at Bridgewater; twice I think.

I just want to say that this thread enables me to stay more or less sane. There is another thread I'm involved in where nothing ever happens except jokes, pictures of food and the occasional woman and indiscriminate bursts of cruelty to plastic and yet another where the modelled place is so realistic I think it's still like that these days!

P

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many Webbers live in fear and dread that some of us ANTB lot will suddenly take an interest in their layout thread and begin to join in the jolly banter over there?

I have been offered favours to not join in some threads; quite profitable in some cases.

Phil

I would R

I would Rob, however I don't like talking to strange women.................... :bb: unless it is about rivets and CWTs.

P

Night classes also available .......

post-20303-0-47595800-1444408919_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I would R

I would Rob, however I don't like talking to strange women..............

P

You are a very unkind duck. Just because she's Robs daughter you assume she is strange? She might be fine, if she takes after her mum. :)

• RMweb Gold

You are a very unkind duck. Just because she's Robs daughter you assume she is strange? She might be fine, if she takes after her mum. :)

Hamilton Academicals.

I had fishcakes for tea tonight, with oven chips, some salad and a drink.

Edited by Captain Kernow

I wonder how many Webbers live in fear and dread that some of us ANTB lot will suddenly take an interest in their layout thread and begin to join in the jolly banter over there?

I have been offered favours to not join in some threads; quite profitable in some cases.

Phil

Unfortunately I don't think our thread would qualify for a visit from ANTB'ers, as being in Norway we have very little in the way of pies, pasties or decent sausages to discuss! Although I'm sure we could trade a few blondes for some decent food, as we seem to have an abundance of them :P

Stuart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately I don't think our thread would qualify for a visit from ANTB'ers, as being in Norway we have very little in the way of pies, pasties or decent sausages to discuss! Although I'm sure we could trade a few blondes for some decent food, as we seem to have an abundance of them :P

Stuart

Enough of food I'd rather have a plate full of these mmmmm.....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Are you mad ?

post-14122-0-62654200-1444423194.jpg

post-14122-0-97706900-1444423217.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stuart

How many blondes do you get for a pound of Howells pork sausages? Please.