A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

"Didn't the LB&SCR stop painting the names of towns and villages on the side of its locos because folk thought that that was where the train was going to?"

Are you going to Greenfield conductor?

Yup.

Its got Garage on the front.

Its got Leyland on the front as well and were not going there either!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

King William IV special edition - Is this not the old Hornby King with a flash new paint job, rather than the forthcoming re-tooled version? 

If it is the old King, it is yet more mutton dressed up as lamb and somewhat cheekily priced, or, rather, perhaps it is the last flogging of a long dead horse.

If collectors buy this, instead of waiting for the new Kings from Hornby and Hatton, it vindicates every doubt I have ever had concerning their intelligence and powers of discernment.

Without a shadow of doubt.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excuse me how long is the next bus? Same length as this one about 36 foot!

Happens with railway passengers too -

'When's the next train to Paddington?'

'In 15 minutes time sir'

'When was the last one?'

'Why are you interested in that, you've missed it'

Or for those of a psychic way of thinking

'Could you tell me what time the 10.30 to Penzance goes please?'

'Platform No.1 madam'

'Ah, ooh - that was clever'

Not really madam, we're often asked questions like that'

Now carefully refraining from showing any pics of the sort of feat Spams got up to on Sydney Harbour Bridge here's a coach displaying Mr Coachmann's artistry which I was lucky enough to secure at auction a few years ago

post-6859-0-31440700-1444054606_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby engine is a W4 Peckett and the only ones of these which the GWR owned were a number taken over from the Swansea Harbour trust which had in turn taken them over from Christopher Rowland who had supplied engines under contract to the Trust - Rowland bought them new at various dates between 1891 and 1904 and disposal (be sale) began as early as 1910.  None of the W4s that survived to be taken over by the GWR made it into the 1930s - the last being withdrawn in Juy 1929.

Apart from a single photo in the RCTS history photos of the W4s in GWR ownership are extremely difficult to find - and I've been looking for some months (for reasons which might today have become rather obvious).  The only one I can find a picture of has a half height cab backsheet although I don't know if they all had this feature (and the Hornby version has a full height backsheet - unless there are some other parts lurking in China) so I suspect we won't see a GWR version from Hornby.

at one time the Swansea Harbour Trust was the Swansea Harbour Imperial Trust, and staff had sailors navy blue jerseys with the initials in red on their chest, this could be a pub story, but if you want a Peckett which is the centre of attention, feel free...

• RMweb Gold

at one time the Swansea Harbour Trust was the Swansea Harbour Imperial Trust, and staff had sailors navy blue jerseys with the initials in red on their chest, this could be a pub story, but if you want a Peckett which is the centre of attention, feel free...

The other story is that it was called Swansea Harbour Improvement Trust

• RMweb Gold

"Didn't the LB&SCR stop painting the names of towns and villages on the side of its locos because folk thought that that was where the train was going to?"

That was the GW Duke class, but I could never understand why anyone could mistake a firmly affixed nameplate could be so misunderstood.

Brian.

I wonder what they thought of Comet or Meteor. My Bulldog is named Columbia which would be a bit of a jaunt! Actually I have also heard the story of LBSCR. That would have been in days when there were still people to whom trains were something new. On second thoughts it is rather like that again with many kids never having travelled on a train to actually go somewhere and expect it to be Thomas and friends. The GWR liked to name its engines after its important customers homes.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect a K40 would be more use than a K38, though the Ocean Mails branding has always made this a popular subject.

Cracking model, however.

The world was a better place when everything was lined out!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

http://www.gwr.org.uk/galorion.html5

Tonight I've been drooling over these kit built coaches inspired by seeing the stock built by Adrian Knowles on the realistic thread.This is Mikkels old site now, run by Miss Prism who incidentally hasn't been active on RMweb for a while.Does anyone know why.

• RMweb Premium

http://www.gwr.org.uk/galorion.html5

Tonight I've been drooling over these kit built coaches inspired by seeing the stock built by Adrian Knowles on the realistic thread.This is Mikkels old site now, run by Miss Prism who incidentally hasn't been active on RMweb for a while.Does anyone know why.

Some excellent stuff on there Rob.

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Rob I don't really know why Russ (Miss Prism) suddenly vanished - but he did although he was still around on the 'net and presumably still is.

Today we have the answer to one of the modeller's perennial problems - how to get trap points onto two converging sidings where space is tight and you don't want to steal siding length or have other pointwork to fit.  This example uses modern components to reproduce the equivalent of something which was probably specially made for the site by Swindon Switch & Crossing Shop.  But the principle is exactly the same - take half a double slip (one end of it) and put an ordinary point at the other end.  Thus you manage to squeeze a pair of double tongue traps into quite a tight space.

post-6859-0-35423200-1444139576_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-80226000-1444139592_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

No posts on ANTB for 48 hours..........Can this be true?

I am suffering withdrawal symptoms already

Worried in Vancouver

I'm hoping to have something new to shew in the next couple of weeks.Everyone is tired of seeing the same old same old I'm sure.

• RMweb Gold

For a moment I thought I had been sent to Coventry!

The SR CCTs are on their way......I guess you will be showing yours before I get mine?

Cheers

John

Ps we are having sausages for dinner. Italian sausages with beans and tomatoes.....Fagioli con salsicce

• Like 1

Here's a proper Great Western engine to make up for it (ok so it was built on Tyneside but these things happened)

attachicon.gifDSCF0023.jpg

Seeing as no one commented on the 0-6-2T's insignia, it is the 1942-1945 sans-serif style lettering 'GWR' believed to have been mostly handpainted at works other than Swindon due to lack of transfers during the war. Probably more appropriate on wartime black though with brass and copper painted over.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Thomas the Tank or Duck the greasy wet and rusty engine?

Spoilsport !

post-126-0-85628000-1444328869_thumb.jpeg

You don't get this on Ellesmere North.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

I'm hoping to have something new to shew in the next couple of weeks.Everyone is tired of seeing the same old same old I'm sure.

Not to worry, Rob, you can't be expected to come up with a new layout just for variety.  Most forums rely on participation which fortunately this thread has plenty of.  I try and feature pictures on the Coarse Scale forum every so often just to keep it alive, not a lot happens otherwise but there are only half a dozen or so who seem interested.  Here, if the worst comes to the worst, you can always have a picture of Jenny; that usually wakes up a few!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a proper Great Western engine to make up for it (ok so it was built on Tyneside but these things happened)

attachicon.gifDSCF0023.jpg

That's a nice shot Mike.

It has the wartime economy lettering found on some of the Welsh engines I believe?

Nice to see and a variation on the norm.

I see Bachmann are redoing the 56xx again.

Cheers

Edit:

I've seen Larry commented on the same thing! Apologies 

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Ps we are having sausages for dinner. Italian sausages with beans and tomatoes.....Fagioli con salsicce

Lovely.

We had something Italian-ish tonight, although it was only a tomato sauce with some pasta and cheese.

Stand by yer sausages.....I'm back in action.

Good evening.....attachicon.gifimages (47).jpg ...nice.......

Duckywucky.

NIce coaches, Dr von Quackstaff.

I'm standing by my sausages, by the way, they're not guilty, no matter what evidence the Authorities bring against them.

• Like 2