A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Senior moment this morning when mentioning a Hawksworth Auto Trailer. It was this particular vehicle. I didn't get the running number so it is either a Diagram A26 or A28.  Unlike the longer 62' Auto Trailer on which the Airfix model is based, these 58' 6" vehicles did not have recessed drivers door and ran on  7' w.b. Plate bogies, As can be seen the coaches were not flush-sided. My wife is sat on the bench refusing to have her photo taken, bless her cotton socks.

attachicon.gifWEB Auto trailer A.jpg

At least she isn't freezing and left next to the WC brazier on this occasion.

That's actually a very good pic Larry. If it was not for the MK1 with B4 (is it?) bogies & the modern attire of folk, that could be a mid/late 50s WR branch anywhere pic.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

A timely reminder that my N class 1848 will be seen next weekend at the Gaydon show.It will be on Graham Muz's Fisherton Sarum layout and is appropriate as he did the excellent repaint/renumbering and it was Salisbury based post war.

post-126-0-74881200-1443968915_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Bristol Panel Signal Box nameplate for a locomotive. You can't make it up!  I used to watch futuristic movies in the 1950's and even the writers could not have dreamed up the things that actually have come to pass in this land of cretins.

Whilst I understand exactly  what you are getting at here, Larry, I'm nonetheless a bit bemused/taken aback/disappointed to read this, because virtually everyone involved in this loco naming is a time-served railwayman, (which is what I understood you also were at one time?).

It was one of the signalmen in Bristol Panel that asked for a loco to be named after the panel, as this has been done elsewhere. A GBRF driver was waiting to relieve a freight train in Temple Meads station one evening, and rang the panel to ask where it was. The signalman told him to come up and have a cup of tea, because the train was some way off. When they were sat chatting, the signalman asked how they could go about getting a loco named after the panel. The driver said he'd text the MD of GBRF (and they do seem to have that kind of close, informal relationship in that company), and thus it got arranged.

Yes, there are some completely idiotic and cretinous names, along the lines of 'A.R.Sehole, Ffahrt and Bloggs Solicitors, 45 years of faithfully serving the Community', or 'Haverfordwest District Council, 25 years of Achievement' and that sort of ilk, but I do think this is different. We name locos after battleships, areas of the country and (even) football teams, for goodness sake, so I don't really understand the objection to naming them after one of our railway buildings, which is now 45 years old, yet only has about 2 or so years of operational life left.

• Like 1

Oh dear. It is inevitable that a comment on a public forum is going to upset someone, but what can I say. A locomotive carrying a signalbox nameboard just looks plain odd to me. No offence intended Captain Kernow and thank you for taking the trouble to give some background to the honouring of a signalbox on a locomotive.

post-6680-0-21774800-1443981597.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Someone mentioned Cardiff? - so just for you.

This is the last pic I took, through the train window

attachicon.gif019_DS~1.jpg

before I took this one

attachicon.gif020_DS~1.jpg

and the next one after that was this one

attachicon.gif021_DS~1.jpg

Takes me back Mike, I've walked over the top of the arch on that there bridge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. It is inevitable that a comment on a public forum is going to upset someone, but what can I say. A locomotive carrying a signalbox nameboard just looks plain odd to me. No offence intended Captain Kernow and thank you for taking the trouble to give some background to the honouring of a signalbox on a locomotive.

attachicon.gifWEB signal box nameboards 2 .jpg

Don't worry Larry, thanks for the comments, but especially thanks for the photo, it made me laugh out loud and got the Missus seriously wondering what I was looking at!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's another photo of that rather colourful Class 66 arriving at Bristol TM on Friday, without all the people and curtains in front of it:

post-57-0-65876100-1443985787.jpg

The extremely tenuous link to Brent is that locos of this type now sometimes run through the real Brent these days, albeit not normally GBRF ones.

• Like 2

Cap'n, as one who agreed with Larry and his comments on unusual names, I appreciate your remarks. While it is great that credit was given where due, it means very little to the travelling public or most people outside the industry. Most of us here are enthusiasts who, should it be known, have very little knowledge of the ins and outs of the railway other than what we read or learn.

To those involved, it means a whole different thing and we must be forgiven for not understanding the other side of the story. Most of us are familiar with the traditional naming of engines which over the years have included some doozies! But these were accepted and in time no doubt, todays more unusual names will be also. Certainly no offence or derision meant!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

They're not security bars in quite the way you're thinking - the 'security' bit is to stop lumps of coal coming through (hence the change to fully sheeted ends).

Now as that duck chappie likes big green streamlined engines here's his special treat for today.  I always liked the look of these in pictures when I was a youngster so it really was something to come across this one completely by chance while on a trip to somewhere else one Saturday morning.

attachicon.gif204_DS~1.jpg

Currently in bits at Chullora workshops being overhauled including a new boiler.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Senior moment this morning when mentioning a Hawksworth Auto Trailer. It was this particular vehicle. I didn't get the running number so it is either a Diagram A26 or A28.  Unlike the longer 62' Auto Trailer on which the Airfix model is based, these 58' 6" vehicles did not have recessed drivers door and ran on  7' w.b. Plate bogies, As can be seen the coaches were not flush-sided. My wife is sat on the bench refusing to have her photo taken, bless her cotton socks.

attachicon.gifWEB Auto trailer A.jpg

Doesn't look as though she's wearing 'em.

Gazuntite!

Arsenal.

• RMweb Premium

That's Humbrol GWR green (Silk) that is............................... :nono:

Quackersstillrecoveringfromwatchingtheexconvictsmakinguslookreallyreallydisorganisedmatch.  

Where's Stu when you need him? How about a small side bet on this coming Saturday's game, say a pint of something refreshing next time I'm West of the Tamar (the one in the Northern Hemisphere that is, not the one in Tasmania)?

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I understand exactly  what you are getting at here, Larry, I'm nonetheless a bit bemused/taken aback/disappointed to read this, because virtually everyone involved in this loco naming is a time-served railwayman, (which is what I understood you also were at one time?).

It was one of the signalmen in Bristol Panel that asked for a loco to be named after the panel, as this has been done elsewhere. A GBRF driver was waiting to relieve a freight train in Temple Meads station one evening, and rang the panel to ask where it was. The signalman told him to come up and have a cup of tea, because the train was some way off. When they were sat chatting, the signalman asked how they could go about getting a loco named after the panel. The driver said he'd text the MD of GBRF (and they do seem to have that kind of close, informal relationship in that company), and thus it got arranged.

Yes, there are some completely idiotic and cretinous names, along the lines of 'A.R.Sehole, Ffahrt and Bloggs Solicitors, 45 years of faithfully serving the Community', or 'Haverfordwest District Council, 25 years of Achievement' and that sort of ilk, but I do think this is different. We name locos after battleships, areas of the country and (even) football teams, for goodness sake, so I don't really understand the objection to naming them after one of our railway buildings, which is now 45 years old, yet only has about 2 or so years of operational life left.

Cap'n, as one who agreed with Larry and his comments on unusual names, I appreciate your remarks. While it is great that credit was given where due, it means very little to the travelling public or most people outside the industry. Most of us here are enthusiasts who, should it be known, have very little knowledge of the ins and outs of the railway other than what we read or learn.

To those involved, it means a whole different thing and we must be forgiven for not understanding the other side of the story. Most of us are familiar with the traditional naming of engines which over the years have included some doozies! But these were accepted and in time no doubt, todays more unusual names will be also. Certainly no offence or derision meant!

Brian.

Didn't the LB&SCR stop painting the names of towns and villages on the side of its locos because folk thought that that was where the train was going to?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Where's Stu when you need him? How about a small side bet on this coming Saturday's game, say a pint of something refreshing next time I'm West of the Tamar (the one in the Northern Hemisphere that is, not the one in Tasmania)?

I accept the challenge and fully expect to have to pay - the number of injuries has decimated the Welsh squad and I don't think passion alone will win this time.

"Didn't the LB&SCR stop painting the names of towns and villages on the side of its locos because folk thought that that was where the train was going to?"

That was the GW Duke class, but I could never understand why anyone could mistake a firmly affixed nameplate could be so misunderstood.

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

I accept the challenge and fully expect to have to pay - the number of injuries has decimated the Welsh squad and I don't think passion alone will win this time.

Digital virtual cyberspace handshake duly exchanged.

• RMweb Gold

King William IV special edition - Is this not the old Hornby King with a flash new paint job, rather than the forthcoming re-tooled version? 

If it is the old King, it is yet more mutton dressed up as lamb and somewhat cheekily priced, or, rather, perhaps it is the last flogging of a long dead horse.

If collectors buy this, instead of waiting for the new Kings from Hornby and Hatton, it vindicates every doubt I have ever had concerning their intelligence and powers of discernment.