A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Before anyone asks I have absolutely no interest or use for a Hornby Peckett.Thanks.

That's the kind of thing the posh ladies in National Trust shops say. CTMK and I went into one such Gift Shoppe in Castle Combe once, bought something and the posh lady asked 'would you like a beg for that?'.

If we'd bought more things, we could probably have had them peckaged up in a Peckett.

But seriously, what Peckett is this, then?

• Like 1

That's the kind of thing the posh ladies in National Trust shops say. CTMK and I went into one such Gift Shoppe in Castle Combe once, bought something and the posh lady asked 'would you like a beg for that?'.

If we'd bought more things, we could probably have had them peckaged up in a Peckett.

see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103556-Hornby-announce-peckett-w4-0-4-0st/

from the middle of the seocnd page it becomes official rather than speculative

I want to respray my Hornby Star into GWR Shirtbutton livery and I am undecided on whether to use Phoenix Precision or Railmatch enamel paint, any advice from the GWR fraternity on which paint is correct for the period?

(Blimey, a serious modelling question - my apologies in advance)

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

I want to respray my Hornby Star into GWR Shirtbutton livery and I am undecided on whether to use Phoenix Precision or Railmatch enamel paint, any advice from the GWR fraternity on which paint is correct for the period?

Glenn

Always glad to have a serious modelling question answered but I think you're on the wrong thread Glenn.

I would say Phoenix from what experience I have with painting. They do three Great Western greens from memory.

• RMweb Gold

Glenn

You'll probably want to use green.

• RMweb Gold

Peckett.....Didn't the GWR have something similar and isn't one preserved?

The GWR absorbed a few 040t including some Pecketts, but only Hawthorne Leslie, Kitson and Avonside types seem to be preserved according to Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_0-4-0ST

There are a couple of dozen industrial  peckett 040t preserved, maybe there's one of them in a bogus livery somewhere?

Ah, P10 it is then.

I don't know this thread goes all over the place: P10, P2, Pickett? (dont you have to wait 'til the midnight hour for that one?), Peckett W4, is that a quarter of a W1? ... I'll stick with the Spams, I just love being Bulleid.

Me, respraying GWR types - must be getting old.

Drink!

see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103556-Hornby-announce-peckett-w4-0-4-0st/

from the middle of the seocnd page it becomes official rather than speculative

Seems I must now be a member of the 'I built a kit and then they announce it in r-t-r form' club now, and I've only been doing this stuff for a year. Finished building one of these for a friend only a few hours ago! Although it is in N gauge, and will hopefully lead him on the path to enlightenent from Norwegian and German to lovely English locomotives :angel:

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Peckett.....Didn't the GWR have something similar and isn't one preserved?

The Hornby engine is a W4 Peckett and the only ones of these which the GWR owned were a number taken over from the Swansea Harbour trust which had in turn taken them over from Christopher Rowland who had supplied engines under contract to the Trust - Rowland bought them new at various dates between 1891 and 1904 and disposal (be sale) began as early as 1910.  None of the W4s that survived to be taken over by the GWR made it into the 1930s - the last being withdrawn in Juy 1929.

Apart from a single photo in the RCTS history photos of the W4s in GWR ownership are extremely difficult to find - and I've been looking for some months (for reasons which might today have become rather obvious).  The only one I can find a picture of has a half height cab backsheet although I don't know if they all had this feature (and the Hornby version has a full height backsheet - unless there are some other parts lurking in China) so I suspect we won't see a GWR version from Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

As the good burghers of Morningside in Edinburgh would know, sex is what the coal comes in.

Don't get started on Kiwi vowel shifts though...

• Like 2