A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Just so there's no doubt, the mad man with the Southern engines is CK not Spams...

Yes, sadly I realised that about 03.25 this morning and have only just got to this thing to apologise for being so rude to Spams and CK I suppose. My apologies gentlemen.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I did buy a few Dapol LMS corridor composites a few years ago thinking that I could use the roofs and interiors. Not a hope....The interior has single compartment doors ala Period stock (clearly seen in your image above). It probably doesn't bother some people.

Now there's a point. I would have never realised that about the internal details. I must admit it won't bother me hugely as the thing(s) will appear once in a blue blood moon and will be out of focus in any of my pics. However, if I were doing a serious kit build for a 'serious' coach (Comet kit for example) I would be really pi**ed off if I came to find that the internal bits were incorrect; ignorance would not be bliss in that case.

I fully understand why Larry and others will not tolerate such poor production. For me I'll be wanting my SR stuff to look as correct as I can get it but for these I shall be putting my telescope to my blind eye, but I shall always have that little niggle in the back of my remaining brain cell telling me it's/they are not correct.

Anyway, here's the representation of a Stanier PIII D1905 BTK with nothing done to it and roof vents not yet fitted. Like me it is crude but cheap.

post-2326-0-19624500-1443359269_thumb.jpg

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There should be at least one GWR coach in that wartime livery on Brent.

Page 3. posts #56 and #57  of my blog thingy - link is in my sig. 

Just the perfect orangy /red/ oxide-y brown care of Holts spray can.

• Like 1

At the SVR last weekend I saw a couple of Southern locomotives, but I can't quite put my hand on the pics at the moment. Will this do?

That's a Spam alright and it even states that it's a 'lite (pacific)'. Taw Valley is clearly a rebuild, bigger and cheesier than the originals.

post-7466-0-51686700-1443365393_thumb.jpg

Here's a proper 'Spam Can' No.34015 Exmouth, yet another renamed Wilton ...

... back to the LMS and GWR models.

Glenn

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That's a Spam alright and it even states that it's a 'lite (pacific)'. Taw Valley is clearly a rebuild, bigger and cheesier than the originals.

attachicon.gif34015-FL2-s40.jpg

Here's a proper 'Spam Can' No.34015 Exmouth, yet another renamed Wilton ...

... back to the LMS and GWR models.

Glenn

Nice to know you've renamed one after a GWR station, an indication of good taste there

http://www.yourvalleynews.co.uk/frontpage-news/on-the-rails-again/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a palaver. A search of RMweb for the fitting of a crew into my Bachmann Standard 3mt drew a blank as no ones had a go by the looks of it.I have but it wasn't easy and I damaged the valve gear with rough handling and it had to go to Barwell for repair.I eventually fitted a cheap P D Marsh crew as seen here.I also misplaced a front pipe and have replaced it with a cast one from my spares tin.I'm hoping the 64xx is a bit easier !

attachicon.gifDSCN7070.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7071.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7074.jpg

None of my std 4 tanks has a crew for that very reason - I couldn't work out how to get into the cab space without potentially breaking something.

• Like 1

None of my std 4 tanks has a crew for that very reason - I couldn't work out how to get into the cab space without potentially breaking something.

Even in O gauge, people are a pain.  Covered cabs in OO really don't need them as one can barely see inside anyway but I admire anybody who tries.  Open cabs are another matter but even then one is forced to accept what the crew will look like.  There must be some workable material these days that one could shape within reason.

Brian

In my case the valve gear.There are two screws under the rear pony but there a glue bond to break to get to the cab interior.

Should have stuck with "normal" GWR engines Rob, you might even have been the first one to model this too .........

post-20303-0-31138300-1443392756_thumb.jpeg

Acres of room to swing a shovel and a bonus to go with it !

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That Scot looks handsome without ears.

Ref the shovel......remember the old saying about something going very fast being like **** off a shovel. Never fancied this fry up idea after being told about the 'alternative use'.

The mind boggles about how the person on a 'bucking footplate', using the shovel, managed to hold it in position whilst operating the evacuation mechanism. :blush:

Anyway moonbeams, good mooning. post-2326-0-22654100-1443434479.jpg

Quackers.