A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

While operational locos are usually extremely well turned out, the sadness of preserved railways is the state of Mk.I coaches with peeling roof paint and bleached sides. Maybe I should offer my services although I would insist on maroon paint.....

The SVR has the right idea in having somewhere undercover for storing their restored coaches.A massive carriage shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bluebell too. Keeping a coach, that has had years of loving care  grained into its restoration, under cover is something that is essential IMO. The Bluebell have got a carriage Works and a Carriage Shed now. Makes a hell of a difference. Coach is absolutely right about the 'neglect'. If i were but a wee young lad I'd be offering my services at (say) the GCR in stock restoration. 

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rob, about a thousand posts ago there was some discussion about LMS coaches on the inter regional stuff through Brent. I know you might have some already and I also realise that your stock is top notch stuff.......however, a cheap and cheerful way to get some LMS stuff could be via Dapol Kits.

As you may remember I will be needing LMS stock for WR diversions through SJish. OK, I've got some very nice Comet ones that I was never expecting to own, but I have also got a small collection of Dapol kits that I got some time back to see how they can be 'scrubbed up' into layout coaches as TW would say.

I popped one together this P.M. just as it comes and I have to say that it looks OK to me. I think they are available for about a tenner from certain sources  and with your experience I think you could knock up a fine little set of LMS stuff using these. 

I know Coach will explode with disgust but ........ with some detailing and decent bogies and some 'careful' weathering I think they can be made to look OK as they are.

Getting exactly the right Diagrams will be difficult, however, just before he died, Geoff was putting together some ideas for using Comet LMS sides on Dapol's other kit parts and the results looked very good to me. More work of course, but those sides make one heck of a difference. Using old Airfix or Mainline coaches is OK but the Dapol kit way means you have parts, not a built item to hack about.

You may have already considered doing this but if not may I encourage you to get a Dapol kit and have a bash.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course, yes I should have done that but you know how thoughtless I am these days. Tomorrow morning if that's OK with you.

Cheers

Phil

Just googleythingyed and they can look like this (not mine)post-2326-0-77064800-1443285481.jpg

If you pop a search into the RMWeb search thing ... post Improving Dapol Coach kits, there is some good stuff there.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

I know Coach will explode with disgust but ........ with some detailing and decent bogies and some 'careful' weathering I think they can be made to look OK as they are.

Quackers.

I did buy a few Dapol LMS corridor composites a few years ago thinking that I could use the roofs and interiors. Not a hope....The interior has single compartment doors ala Period stock (clearly seen in your image above). It probably doesn't bother some people.

Edited by coachmann

At the SVR last weekend I saw a couple of Southern locomotives, but I can't quite put my hand on the pics at the moment. Will this do?

Sums it all up ! LOL :))

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a palaver. A search of RMweb for the fitting of a crew into my Bachmann Standard 3mt drew a blank as no ones had a go by the looks of it.I have but it wasn't easy and I damaged the valve gear with rough handling and it had to go to Barwell for repair.I eventually fitted a cheap P D Marsh crew as seen here.I also misplaced a front pipe and have replaced it with a cast one from my spares tin.I'm hoping the 64xx is a bit easier !

post-126-0-47780500-1443353227_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-64430900-1443353244.jpg

post-126-0-25104700-1443353259_thumb.jpg

• Like 14