A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A clever marketing ploy; it works like this -

1. Some people are actually daft enough to pay it (well it would be free postage from Hornby),

2. Some retailers might buy some (but are there any daft enough to do so who know anything about model railways?)

And the biggy and what it's really all about

3.  Hornby's major account executives go along to Argos and various chain stores/department stores who stock such stuff for the Christmas market and offer them x 100 sets at a very very substantial discount (probably more than 50% off standard trade price?).  Buyers are duly impressed by the huge discount they are offered and buy in quantity and them retail at a substantial discount on the Hornby website price.  By mid December I bet you'll be able to buy one of these sets for less than half the Hornby website price if you look in the right places.  After all last year some of the big chain stores were offering Hornby BR brakevans (new version) for around 8 quid a go.

I belief it's called 'marketing' (and pity the poor s*ds who pay the full price)

To illustrate stationmaster's point, I was given a copy of the current Argos catalogue. Three Hornby items in it:

1) R1155 dcc pendolino set for gbp149.99 cf previous catalogue price of 179.99

2) No r number "Western Messenger" 'this includes a smart four wheel locomotive, a selection of wagons and a small coach. The oval of track with siding add operational interest as wagons are shunted to and fro' advertised as half price at 69.99 with previous online price of 139.99

Loco is a 0-4-0 in gwr green with Truro written in its tanks

3) Tornado Pullman Express. 60163 plus three (railroad I assume ) Pullmans. Priced at 99.99 down from 149.99

My son, who's three and half, has asked for item 3. Actually I don't think that's bad value and I'm impressed that he picked the best option of the three!

• RMweb Gold

I would like to see how much the local model shop had it for if you're lucky to have one.Hornby maybe the top brand in the train set market but Bachmann offer better value and quality in my opinion.

• RMweb Gold

Our local one closed a couple of years ago but had been running down for a while. I now go to a shop in Chelmsford but to be honest,I've not looked at train set prices there. They tend to be competitive on other items though and, in common with the non box shifters, does have some long sold out elsewhere items which I appreciate.

The nearest place to me selling Hornby trains is Hawkins bazaar in Westfield shopping centre. Their prices seem full - eg western master set for 150 compared to 120 at a popular Liverpool shop.

• RMweb Gold

Twopenneth time!

I praise Hornby where praise is due.  The 'Western Postal' is not due any praise.  Hitherto I have tended to view Hornby as representing 3 streams:

• The good stuff, which can be very good.  We pay top dollar for it, as is right and necessary.  When compromises compromise the model, e.g. on the 7200 and the Star, we are right to cry foul, and Hornby have shown some movement on these issues.  I only get annoyed when things linger too long in the main catalogue that are way below an acceptable standard, e.g. the present Collett coaches, so crude that it would have been better, and more honest, to cascade them to Railroad years ago, even at the cost of leaving a gap in the catalogue. 

• The old stuff that is not up to standard.  But, these venerable toolings deserve a second lease of life for kids and for conversion projects.  Railroad is where they belong and they do a useful turn there at an honest price.  

• Re-treads in slick paint jobs in fancy boxed sets.  No amount of clever finishing will make something like the Caley Single a decent model by today's standards.  No amount of clever printing will make up for the fact that the Great Western clerestory is a crude out-dated model with flush sides.  This is all fine, however, because these sets are aimed at collectors and collectors are idiots who don't mind paying top dollar for models of little intrinsic worth.  In fact, the definition of a model railway collector is someone who does just that.

Why I am annoyed about the Old Rope Postal is because it isn't any of the above.  It's a piece of tarted up '70s tat sold outside the entry range at a stupid main catalogue collectors' price.  In my view, it's a dishonest piece peddled at an exploitative sum and I hope that no unsuspecting Dads falls for the con it represents and buy it for their little one this Christmas.  Indeed, I hope that no-one buys it.  That way the twelve year olds currently running Hornby might realise that this is one overpriced train-set too far and learn not to insult their public with such tosh that not even a collector would be stupid enough to buy. 

There, I feel so much better now.

Perhaps a beer will mellow me yet further ...

Bah-humbug!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great post Edwardian ! I might make a headboard up with Old Rope Postal because it has a nice funny ring to it.Is it alright to copy and paste this onto the Hornby review page.

• Like 1

Oh, how funny, the Automatic Prude has deleted some of my English.  I hope no one here is from Chorlton Vile-Expletive Hardy.

I lived there for over 20 years, and had to put up with disbelief when filling in forms. Bring on Chorlton and the Wheelies (actually made in Corkland Road, Chorlton).

post-9992-0-27187100-1443032467.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

• ...I only get annoyed when things linger too long in the main catalogue that are way below an acceptable standard, e.g. the present Collett coaches, so crude that it would have been better, and more honest, to cascade them to Railroad years ago, even at the cost of leaving a gap in the catalogue. 
In fairness they did shunt the old Collett coaches into the Railroad range years ago.

• ... No amount of clever printing will make up for the fact that the Great Western clerestory is a crude out-dated model with flush sides.  This is all fine, however, because these sets are aimed at collectors and collectors are idiots who don't mind paying top dollar for models of little intrinsic worth.  In fact, the definition of a model railway collector is someone who does just that.

I guess I'm an idiot collector then. Beggars can't be choosers. You can build kits (or pay someone to build and paint them for you) or you can purchase RTR.

Anyone who elects to run a GWR train made up of RTR items has pretty much had Hobson's choice. You either purchase what is on offer or pay more (in the long run, in time or money) to source alternatives. Crude and out-dated with their flush sides the clerestory coaches may be, (the paint finish is reasonably good) but I made the choice that they were better than nothing. Personally I don't consider that to be idiocy, but others may.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

•   No amount of clever printing will make up for the fact that the Great Western clerestory is a crude out-dated model with flush sides. 

If this image is anything to go by then Hornby were nearly there  with the flush sides!

post-9992-0-94100000-1443040068_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Actually, Mike, what is quite interesting about that is that it is late enough in the day for a good portion of the sides to have been plated over, yet the bogies still have their foot-boards, which many, if not most, clerestories would have lost by this stage, judging from photographs.

Not just clerestories.  You may recall that my thing is the Thirties (your coach would seem to be in pre-war livery), and the Ashburton auto-trailers and the Kingsbridge rabbit van of the period had plated sections.

• RMweb Premium

Notice how the loco is 'captured' between two bushe$ and admire the modified Triang Clearstorys. Someone has spent ages making telegraph poles but sensibly has not added the wires. The Stubby fencing is very neat. Not sure about the bridge though....no bus on it.

Otherwise , a neat layout considering it isn't Pee4.

MRJackson

• Like 1

Some information about that splendid picture, if you would please Mike.

One of the most handsome locomotives in one of the finest liveries, and hauling GW stock by the looks of it. An explanation seems called for.

It is the daily Swindon to York via Oxford and Banbury which used a GC/LNE engine through to Swindon. In the late 1920's/30's it was usually hauled by a GN C1 atlantic. Images exist with the LNE engine alongside GWR engines  in Swindon roundhouse prior to returning north. By the late 40's it was B1 turn.   Stock was alternated with Great Northern/LNER stock.

Mike Wiltshire