A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Bit late to say good morning so good afternoon gents from a bit of old Great Western Ffestiniog.....It's the same curve today but chocolate & cream is long gone and the carmine red coach is standing where today's rarely used narrow gauge platform loop is.....

attachicon.gifWEB old Blaenau.jpg

A very evocative photo from a great location, but I can't help wondering which direction the train went when both panniers set off!

Was that the short lived  Pull & Pull set? and which coupling would give way?

TONY

• RMweb Gold

That's my Christmas present sorted then, £120 worth of carp.How do they sleep at night.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/postal-express-train-set.html

A clever marketing ploy; it works like this -

1. Some people are actually daft enough to pay it (well it would be free postage from Hornby),

2. Some retailers might buy some (but are there any daft enough to do so who know anything about model railways?)

And the biggy and what it's really all about

3.  Hornby's major account executives go along to Argos and various chain stores/department stores who stock such stuff for the Christmas market and offer them x 100 sets at a very very substantial discount (probably more than 50% off standard trade price?).  Buyers are duly impressed by the huge discount they are offered and buy in quantity and them retail at a substantial discount on the Hornby website price.  By mid December I bet you'll be able to buy one of these sets for less than half the Hornby website price if you look in the right places.  After all last year some of the big chain stores were offering Hornby BR brakevans (new version) for around 8 quid a go.

I belief it's called 'marketing' (and pity the poor s*ds who pay the full price)

• RMweb Gold

Well, I feel glad to be able to contribute something to this thread of a true GWR nature, (unlike Rob's Christmas present) :)

Here's a couple of photos I took today of some rather sad looking locos:

post-17302-0-21348700-1442966237_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-74637200-1442966244_thumb.jpg

I believe these both belong to Pete Waterman, and they are currently languishing in the yard at Peak Rail's Rowsley Depot.

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Suitable for shunting the dock sidings where imported biscuits are loaded into open wagons.

The Makaton 'sign' for bicuit is to tap one palm upwards on the downward pointing elbow of the other arm - but why ?

(Makaton is a simplified version of BSL).

I was looking [unsuccessfully] for the shot of the lined green BR 3MT Prairie tank because I have found something that may be of interest.  On 7th May 1955 82033 was noted by a vigilant member of the RCTS working the Kingsbridge branch train.  That's the loco, not the vigilant RCTS member.  Take note, dear Rob, that it was not 82004 and would have been neither lined green nor anywhere near South Devon in 1957 but it's a start.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was looking [unsuccessfully] for the shot of the lined green BR 3MT Prairie tank because I have found something that may be of interest.  On 7th May 1955 82033 was noted by a vigilant member of the RCTS working the Kingsbridge branch train.  That's the loco, not the vigilant RCTS member.  Take note, dear Rob, that it was not 82004 and would have been neither lined green nor anywhere near South Devon in 1957 but it's a start.

Chris

I've let my heart rule my head here Chris.Inaccurate I know but I'm modelling 82006 in 1957 in lined green.She was shedded at Wellington then but will have a NA shedcode. :O  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I may have to get that "deceptively powerful" 0-4-0 and those coaches, instead of the Hatton King and the new Hornby Colletts.  Bargain!  Trouble is, I am now torn between this set and one I had spotted earlier: 

That looks like a pile of s***e. However, there are 6 railroad MK1s in BRWR livery going for £30.84 saving on their 'bundle' site; that's a bargain IMO.

P

Edited by Mallard60022