A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Past auction acquisition, seems to be basically a Westward kit plus various mods.  Sold on on RMweb 'at a fair price' - the motor was kn*ckered and it would hardly move itself plus it obviously needed lots of other work as well and it was of no use to me (unlike various other things which came with it) so it went for 60 notes.

post-6859-0-25845300-1442829950_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Something black to match today's weather.....

post-9751-0-26417100-1442839894_thumb.jpg

1501 at Bridgnorth July 2013. BR built to a GW design and not a pretty thing.

The loco has a loose historical "geographic" connection with ANTB as it had it's second career at Coventry Colliery (1962-70) just down the road from ANTB.

Edit:

In colliery colours:

post-9751-0-60327000-1442848765.png

Photo John Wiltshire 5/3/1967

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Steady boy, I was one of Maggie Thatcher's boot boys a few years later in the poll tax riots. Old Bill have to keep the Queens Peace you know, even when we might agree with the protestors views.

Not much mining done there nowadays and there's tons of it still underground up there.I would have been better off with the poll tax as opposed to council tax now.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure of the relevance of Mr & Mrs Joe Blow. I am talking to railway modellers and trying to assist them. 

The 'average' younger family visitor to a heritage railway is what brings in the money. They usually know very little about the things on site other than the toilets and refreshments unless Grandad is there and in  some cases Grandma. Thus things tend to be kept smart and as clean as possible and funny faces on the front of loco's increases attendance. It is very handy for 'us' to know more facts about correct livery and detail and anyone that can provide that information is worth their weight in gold and is also why RMW is such good value. To that young family, unless there is some relevant experience, they wouldn't notice those things at all. I'm fairly sure that's what Brian was suggesting. 

When I 'worked' at Kingscote on the Bluebell, the questions I was asked most by 'family' passengers were:

where are the toilets?

can I get a drink here?

when's the train back to (wherever)?

This was before the extension to East G was completed and Kingscote was the 'terminus'.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

That is all very well. But the locos and rolling stock are still of historical significance and the actual painting costs a mere fraction of what it had cost to restore a rusting hulk into a fine working loco or coach etc. Remember, no corners are cut during the restoration, so seeing as Joe Blogg and his family do not know or care whether a loco or carriage is correctly painted, it costs no more to get it right than it does to get it wrong. Dumbing down to amateur level just because "who knows the difference" is nothing to be proud of. I notice it matters when RTR manufacturers make 'mistakes' on their models! And this is the crux of te matter.....I am on RMweb addressing fellow railway modellers who wish to get their models right.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh I see, you've now started hiding the scenics with trains...

As you're someone on here who's seen my scenics up close and personal perhaps hiding with it with trains isn't a bad idea. ;)

Well if you lot are going to take the p**s....

attachicon.gifDSCN7066.jpg

Not disagreeing Rob but some of these wagons might be more appropriate.......

Latrinenwagens for clearing away any effluent you wish to be rid of :))

post-20303-0-77002000-1442927474_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2