A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Thanks Stationmaster for your valued review. I must admit I have reservations on some colour albums which is why I asked in particular about this one. There are others that Amazon recommends but those that could interest me like 'Steam in Devon' now contain black & white photos as well according to reviews.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Running late due to aerial activity with a total of 14 Spitfires & Hurricanes passing over today, and pasty heat-up for dinner still to do  (several spare pasties alas as laddo is spending the evening at Reading FC in his employer's box entertaining clients).

Something a bit difference in the pics line as well as a couple of examples of the continuing influence of that nice Mr Brunel on our rail network  with station platforms at broad gauge spacing - apart from looking a long way apart the other clue is the catchpits in the six foot - on a standard gauge six foot spacing they virtually touch the sleeper ends on both lines but here there's room to spare on both sides.

post-6859-0-86877100-1442338683.jpg

post-6859-0-59181300-1442338694.jpg

• Like 12

Evening all,

Running late due to aerial activity with a total of 14 Spitfires & Hurricanes passing over today, and pasty heat-up for dinner still to do  (several spare pasties alas as laddo is spending the evening at Reading FC in his employer's box entertaining clients).

Something a bit difference in the pics line as well as a couple of examples of the continuing influence of that nice Mr Brunel on our rail network  with station platforms at broad gauge spacing - apart from looking a long way apart the other clue is the catchpits in the six foot - on a standard gauge six foot spacing they virtually touch the sleeper ends on both lines but here there's room to spare on both sides.

attachicon.gifbg heritage spacing.jpg

attachicon.gifbg heritage spacing 3.jpg

Thats what sets apart a great practical engineer from the rest -the foresight that set-track would be more economical in the long run!

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Mike, where would this station be, please?

Brian.

Brian the top one is Twyford and the lower one is Tilehurst (which now looks quite a bit different as that viewpoint has gone and a new footbridge has appeared).  

Was in central London all day to day and was quietly hoping to see a Spitfire or two. Nothing. From the office window near St Paul's I did spot well over 30 tower cranes. Not quite the same though.

Hard luck - I saw a total of 14 Spits and Hurricanes, one of each in Green Section (the first one to pass over), a nice mixture in Red Section (pics below) and another lot of six which came over sometime later but were on their way past by the time I got to the front door.

So as your consolation prize here are some of my pics of Red Section - fortunately the angles worked fairly well from one of the attic windows and the sun was in the right place  (Green Section came out of the sun - clever fellahs) Click to get a bit of enlargement.

post-6859-0-60899400-1442357251_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-83156000-1442357262_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-99158800-1442357279_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

V4 of the BWT (Bin, with texture) was posted today. It will hopefully arrive in just the one piece.

Arrived intact Stu and all is well.Just needs running in and I'll post a photo.Like others on here you're a fantastic credit to this thread.

• RMweb Gold

Wrong Kernow (wrong boat?)  - the ship carrying (hopefully) the container containing the KMRC O2s docked at Southampton yesterday ;) 

Have you one on order then Mike, which livery ?

Nice, but they look so much better with a Churchward cab. That Collett cab looks like it's been added as an afterthought.

But this is how the GWR worked. The Churchward 2-8-0 was well ahead of its rivals on other railway companies for several decades but footplate men would not have thanked Swindon for Churchward cabs on locos built in the 1930s. Imagine how awful one would look on a 'Castle'.

• RMweb Premium

But this is how the GWR worked. The Churchward 2-8-0 was well ahead of its rivals on other railway companies for several decades but footplate men would not have thanked Swindon for Churchward cabs on locos built in the 1930s. Imagine how awful one would look on a 'Castle'.

But wouldn't that just make it look like a Star?