A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

There is a pdf on the "Steam World" site featuring that shot and some others of possible interest taken at Newton Abbot here:

http://steamworldmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/sw-315-swindon-and-beyond.compressed-1.pdf

And here's 6960 'Raveningham Hall' hopelessly lost at Minehead during the Summer of 2013.

post-9751-0-93457100-1442184810_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

There is a pdf on the "Steam World" site featuring that shot and some others of possible interest taken at Newton Abbot here:

http://steamworldmag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/sw-315-swindon-and-beyond.compressed-1.pdf

And here's 6960 'Raveningham Hall' hopelessly lost at Minehead during the Summer of 2013.

attachicon.gifCROP005.jpg

I'm no expert but should 6960 not be in unlined green as opposed to lined green in the pre-nationalisation period?

I thought only Kings/Castles were lined out during this time?

Anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

I'm no expert but should 6960 not be in unlined green as opposed to lined green in the pre-nationalisation period?

I thought only Kings/Castles were lined out during this time?

Anyone shed any light?

After the war, Kings, Counties, Castles, Stars, Saints and Halls were lined. Apart from the very first County, no lining appeared on the black areas below the running plate. Raveningham Hall is therefore correctly painted although the shade of green is questionable (photo emulsion or exposure?)

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After the war, Kings, Counties, Castles, Stars, Saints and Halls were lined. Apart from the very first County, no lining appeared on the black areas below the running plate. Raveningham Hall is therefore correctly painted although the shade of green is questionable (photo emulsion or exposure?)

'Ratbag Hall' (as it was known at one time on the SVR) has appeared in some most peculiar shades of green during its preserved life so that view might well be an accurate rendition.

Dumbleton Hall on the SDR looks much better - even if in non-working state (to heavy for the state of the track back in 2009).

post-6859-0-45162900-1442232162_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Mike was that a recent photo as this one is June 2013, it looks a bit of state.

attachicon.gif321.JPG

According to Bulliver the SDR are trying to 'bull up' 4920 and a decision is to be made as to getting it back in working order....

Funds permitting of course.

Cheers,

Mark

Found a photo of this funny looking pink thing, the only reason I took it was it's a Swindon built locomotive.  Oh dear got the wrong one. :scratchhead:

attachicon.gif181.JPG

Aahhh Swindon at its best. High sided tender, that boiler shape and the frames poking out of the drop ends. Can only be a Hawksworth County.

'County of Hogwarts' judging by the awful colour.

According to Bulliver the SDR are trying to 'bull up' 4920 and a decision is to be made as to getting it back in working order....

Funds permitting of course.

Cheers,

Mark

This one looks  better than a lot of locos in BR days!  Hope they get it going after all this time.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This one looks  better than a lot of locos in BR days!  Hope they get it going after all this time.

Brian.

I don't see why they shouldn't Brian - apart from the cost of course - as it's complete although it will almost certainly need retubing and probably some stays renewed plus bearings etc so it won't be cheap.  The problem of course is weight and that, so I understood, was the main reason why they stopped using it but according to something I heard a while back they have done the necessary infrastructure work to resolve that problem so it would thus be sensible to consider doing it.

Seeing as this thread has rounded up a good many GWR aficionados, I wonder if anyone has read :- 

The Great Western Railway Shrewsbury to Pwllheli: Volume 5 Paperback – 15 Jun 2015 by Stanley C. Jenkins (Author), Martin Loader (Author)

If so, can they tell me if it is all-colour and is the reproduction of photos good?

Cheers, coach

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Browsing the Colour Rail website as you do and found this absolute gem easily recreated using the overpriced Hornby model of the 5101 class.Just look at all that luggage on the trolley.

Copyright Colour Rail.

post-126-0-81383500-1442262383.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I don't see why they shouldn't Brian - apart from the cost of course - as it's complete although it will almost certainly need retubing and probably some stays renewed plus bearings etc so it won't be cheap.  The problem of course is weight and that, so I understood, was the main reason why they stopped using it but according to something I heard a while back they have done the necessary infrastructure work to resolve that problem so it would thus be sensible to consider doing it.

Even if running on the SDR it is a problem it could be used like 3803 on long term loan earning money. I believe 3803's ticket will be out shortly as well.

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as this thread has rounded up a good many GWR aficionados, I wonder if anyone has read :- 

The Great Western Railway Shrewsbury to Pwllheli: Volume 5 Paperback – 15 Jun 2015 by Stanley C. Jenkins (Author), Martin Loader (Author)

If so, can they tell me if it is all-colour and is the reproduction of photos good?

Cheers, coach

Ah, now my comments need to be considered in their context as they relate almost solely to Volume 1 (Paddington to Bristol) in this series.

It is without a doubt one of the worst books on a GWR/WR subject I have ever come across.  Some of the photos are original and I haven't seen them published previously but they are printed to a small size which makes them less than useful, the colour reproduction is variable but I think most of that is probably down to poor interpretation at the scanning stage of the originals (although in one or two cases if they were my photos I'd have thrown them away).  

So in terms of photo reproduction my summary is - many reproduced far too small, some colour reproduction is not good but there are some previously unpublished pictures which are of interest.  And the majority of illustrations are not in colour.

That's the good news, honest.  The captions are downright diabolical - places are misidentified (in a number of cases by at least 5 miles), lines are incorrectly named, and Up and Down are sometimes confused or incorrect. while interesting historical comments are conspicuous by their absence, while some of their estimated dates are a decade out (and can be seen to be so from easily identifiable features).

Now I obviously know some parts of the route fairly well from train spotting days through to spending various parts of my railway career working on it, commuting over it, or having various things to do with it including planning some of the present track layouts.  So maybe I'm being a little harsh but quite bluntly if someone can't identify the old suburban platforms at Paddington or know east from west in views of stations they should not be involved in writing captions for such a book.

I've had a brief look at the volume covering the North & West Line as I was hopeful it might contain some useful station views for modelling purposes - it didn't even include a picture of the station I'm particularly interested in!  Other volumes might be better but there's no way I would buy one without having a  really good look through it first.  BTW I notice Volume 5 is cheaper than Volume 1 and I wonder if that means it has less in the way of colour illustrations or it just hasn't got so many pages?