A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Hook Norton Manor WSR at Minehead with dicky name plates someone got the order wrong at Modelmasters.  :laugh:

attachicon.gif193.JPG

I disagree......there's only one true Hook Norton manor and here it is........

post-20303-0-82434700-1442082465_thumb.jpg

And for those who may not realise it is steam powered too !

Hooky Brewery one of my old stomping grounds that certainly fired my boiler after a few beers !!!

Happy dayz Hic !

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

That pallet leaning against the wall looks staged - you'd never see a real one like that.

Not entirely convinced by the potted plant either.

Rob

If you've never been there as many times I I have I think you're being a little presumptions guys.

Its a living breathing brewery :)

Edited by bgman

Was it always a brewery ? It's an eclectic mix of building styles, looking more bravarian castle than English brewery.

Hi Stu,

Yes certainly was, founded in 1849 and has been family owned since then. It's featured in a great many films etc., one that sticks in my mind specifically is the BBC series Blott on the Landscape.

It was on my "patch" when I worked for the local authority as a Building Control officer and I might be found at their nearest pub on a Friday afternoon having a lunch break !

Further info if you're interested here .... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_Norton_Brewery

Got to say it ....... CHEERS !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Signalbox morning, and all from 50 years ago! (my own pics of course).  Going clockwise from top left corner we have Goring (plus local coal traffic in the yard), Tilehurst, Slough Middle (rear view), Mill Lane Crossing on the Henley branch - which had closed nearly 40 years previously and which was rented out as a greenhouse and survived into the early 1970s!), and two views of the unusual Slough East which stood at a right angle to the running lines at the east end of the station.

post-6859-0-36357000-1442142402_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Sorry folks, we appear to have missed autumn and we're now on the run up to Christmas...

attachicon.gifrps20150913_151107.jpg

Bah humbug.

Many a true word - we were in the garden centre the other day and their 'Christmas dept' is actually under construction with 11 fake Christmas trees already dotted around within it while at another garden centre they had Christmas Cards and 2016 calendars on sale.

• RMweb Premium

Many a true word - we were in the garden centre the other day and their 'Christmas dept' is actually under construction with 11 fake Christmas trees already dotted around within it while at another garden centre they had Christmas Cards and 2016 calendars on sale.

I wasn't jesting Mike, I saw these when I popped out today. The Christmas display was almost completed. Shocking - there's almost a 3rd of a year left.

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't jesting Mike, I saw these when I popped out today. The Christmas display was almost completed. Shocking - there's almost a 3rd of a year left.

Oh dear, that's truly yucky horrible.  Alas Christmas isn't what it used to be - we never saw anything Christmassy in the shops round our way until after Bonfire Night and even then it didn't really get going until December.  It really hacks me off nowadays especially the dumbos who start removing decorations on Boxing Day.  But I do like the outdoor lights - definite improvement on the dull days of my yoof although I really miss the little Hornby Dublo layout a local tobacconist used to create in his shop window a couple of weeks before Christmas every year.

• Like 1

..... in the garden centre the other day and their 'Christmas dept' is actually under construction with 11 fake Christmas trees .....

It feels like an Oxymoron...   :no: 

It doesn't bode well for their products.

Sadly holidays, any holidays are an excuse for making money.  Timing is critical; summers over and kids back to school with a ton of money spent on new clothes and equipment.  Labor Day is over, coming up is Halloween, Thanksgiving and finally Christmas Eve.  Once Labor day is over, Halloween appears in the shops comingling with Christmas items and after TG, carols and Christmas music are everywhere  At least that makes a change from the noise that passes as music these days!.

There are no train sets in windows any more or games or dolls.  They are all on shelves in Toys R us or at Amazon!

Brian.