A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

A bit of infrastructure for you today and yet another example of how useful old postcards can be.  Upper Pontnewydd was on the Eastern Valleys line - originally Monmouthshire Railway & Canal Co, a concern originally established in 1792  although the section where Upper Pontnewydd was sited wasn't opened until the early 1853 - the company amalgamated with the GWR in 1880.  

This postcard view probably dates from the early 1900s - the ground signal does not have the post 1911 addition of an enamelled disc although no doubt such things took their time to reach all parts of the Company's network.  The single slip formed part of a crossover and the connection to the goods yard - which lies behind the photographer - the line not quite in shot to the right is a headshunt for the goods shed.  Lots of lovely early GW atmosphere and apart from signal renewals and different adverts the scene probably changed little until closure to passengers in April 1962.

post-6859-0-91194200-1441880537_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Our top agent in Bavaria since 1941, and what a disguise!

Best film ever !!!

I went to buy a copy, in VHS format (it was a few years ago) and the shop had films grouped by actor. So I looked through the Richard Burton section, but to no avail.

"Have you got a copy of 'Where Eagles Dare?'" I asked.

"Oh yes, it's in the Clint Eastwood section."  

My reply was then, and is now, unrepeatable...

• Like 1

Further to The Stationmaster's post, previous page, No. 13195,
My attempt back in the late 1960's to recreate a similar terrace end advert.

This was on Penlan Mk1, the terrace was on Llaniog Road (Ivor the Engine!!).

- The lettering for 'Llaniog Road' on the street name plate attached to this end of the terrace was done with the (very) small white letters (patents) at the bottom of Lettraset sheets.

post-6979-0-25474400-1441892292.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Best film ever !!!

I went to buy a copy, in VHS format (it was a few years ago) and the shop had films grouped by actor. So I looked through the Richard Burton section, but to no avail.

"Have you got a copy of 'Where Eagles Dare?'" I asked.

"Oh yes, it's in the Clint Eastwood section."  

My reply was then, and is now, unrepeatable...

I can play the drum bit in the intro scene for that great film. There's a surprise then.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I've succumbed to the Bachmann Standard tank when a highly regarded follower of this thread offered me his spare lined green version.A deal was done at a very decent price and here is soon to be 82006 sat at Tigley Junction shed waiting for the weekends work.

attachicon.gifDSCN6961.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6964.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6965bw.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6968.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN6966.jpg

A word of caution about renumbering. Bachmann's 82005 had the rarer application of the BR late crest with both sides of the loco having the lion facing the smokebox, so it might be worth checking in case 82006's crests were different to 82005.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Bound to agree with Stubby's assessment that this is the best film ever (cured my Mumps, which is saying a lot for a film), though best not to ask:

1. What is the maximum range of a JU52?

2. What is the distance from South East England to the Bavarian Alps?

And just don't ask about Crete, or anything to do with helicopters.

And now, a special MRJ moment:

Alpine post 'buses were traditionally painted yellow, but, during the Third Reich, they were painted red, so, one instance of the film being more accurate than the book!

Oh, and by the way, have you ever wondered what happened to the Mosquito pilot?

• RMweb Premium

I've heard of a Pilot Whale but a Mosquito Pilot? How the hell did it see out of the cockpit and / or reach the foot pedals, stick thingy and other bits? Was it supposed to not have a plane at all and just inject victims without them realising? Sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Bound to agree with Stubby's assessment that this is the best film ever (cured my Mumps, which is saying a lot for a film), though best not to ask:

1. What is the maximum range of a JU52?

2. What is the distance from South East England to the Bavarian Alps?

And just don't ask about Crete, or anything to do with helicopters.

And now, a special MRJ moment:

Alpine post 'buses were traditionally painted yellow, but, during the Third Reich, they were painted red, so, one instance of the film being more accurate than the book!

Oh, and by the way, have you ever wondered what happened to the Mosquito pilot?

Ju 52 maximum range (with extra fuel tanks) 808 miles/1300 km

London - Salzburg                                          801 miles

• Like 1

One of my favourite bits of that film is the chase scene with the bus, the back of which must have had the frontal armour of a Tiger tank attached to it, as it was almost impervious to constant German fire. Quite ridiculous... 

Edit: forget to mention that the bullet holes appear and disappear during the chase scene......self-healing armour perhaps.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite bits of that film is the chase scene with the bus, the back of which must have had the frontal armour of a Tiger tank attached to it, as it was almost impervious to constant German fire. Quite ridiculous... 

Edit: forget to mention that the bullet holes appear and disappear during the chase scene......self-healing armour perhaps.

That's all fine, because the Director said it was.