A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

On hire to Western National, no doubt.

Chris

Yes especially as I don't have one !

Did you enjoy the show yesterday as you seemed to be in a hurry to be somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

I'm jealous..................I want one.................. A small Prairie! My 2007 Bachmann catalogue lists them as having a heavy die-cast chassis. Was it a split-chassis?

Definitely not a split chassis and world's away from the Lima version I had over 20 years ago.I have four of them and they all run very nicely and it's just a pity my late father never saw the Bachmann release of his favourite GWR class.I bought one of mine off ebay too.

Yes especially as I don't have one !

Did you enjoy the show yesterday as you seemed to be in a hurry to be somewhere.

Very much so, thanks.  I was there till chucking-out time.  I would have liked to introduce you to my cousin with whom I spent much of the day.

Chris

Definitely not a split chassis and world's away from the Lima version I had over 20 years ago.I have four of them and they all run very nicely and it's just a pity my late father never saw the Bachmann release of his favourite GWR class.I bought one of mine off ebay too.

Lima?  Are they still around?  Their 45xx was the backbone of Buckfastleigh in my OO days.  Then I didn't see much wrong with it along with the Airfix 0-4-2T which was a little troublesome and one of the main reasons I moved on from OO.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Great Prairie photos, Rob. Definitely my favourite GWR class. Been thinking I need a plain black one to go with my lined green examples.......mmmmmm

Lovely looking locomotive

Rob

Hope you're enjoying it, John. Been pretty inactive for most of today due to a sore eye, but at least the weather's been pretty good.

See

and more will be forthcoming in Early Risers, where they tolerate me.

• Like 1

Bachmanns small Prairie must be due for re release seeing as traders are taking advance orders for quite a few variants. I had a quick look on Youtube for DCC sound GWR locos and all I can say is, put two wires to some of them guys and you'd get a funny reading! 

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

What a great photo.....Smashing.... ...

And R S Carpenters view of 4582 from about 1947.......Fabulous

post-14122-0-29139200-1432587513.jpg

post-14122-0-50705000-1432587985_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Gorgeous shots Rob.

For the longest time, they were also my favourite class, as a model.

I have been meaning to ask this for a while......what coupling system do you use on Brent?...........I use Kadees and I find that automatic coupling is not very reliable because of the way the NEM pocket is mounted on the pony truck .........it doesn't centre properly because of the side play.........do you have this problem?

Kind regards from Vancouver

• RMweb Gold

Kadees famously work best if body-mounted. That can be tough to arrange with some locos. Bachmann's coupler height disparities are legion, ISTR.

No easy answers here, sadly.

I use Kadee no 18 on my southrrn coaches to great effect but use tension locks on other stock to similar problems to what others have encountered. I do have fixed rakes that use other means including three links etc.

• RMweb Gold

Kadees famously work best if body-mounted. That can be tough to arrange with some locos. Bachmann's coupler height disparities are legion, ISTR.

No easy answers here, sadly.

Three links :jester:

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob, I need to get you some southern vans for that freight - it's missing their distinctive roof profile.

Nice and I agree but what is available.