A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I have a precious sheet of 1600 crocus paper, which I use for polishing metal (brass / nickel silver).  It certainly is not agressive in action.  Not a clue where one can buy it from these days.  Neither have I used it for removing lettering from anything, so cannot say how effective it would be.  I suppose it could be considered a solid version of T-cut.  Just another possible option.

Sounds to me very much like what my dad used to call flower (four?) paper - very smooth stuff indeed and I've yet to find a modern equivalent.  Used to be used by cabinet makers hence he had a small stock of it which he used when making antiques.

I am rather fond of Siphons myself

0 Gauge siphons
Don

That's a very nice rake of early Siphons, Don.

I can make a dodgy version of the alphabet with my later Siphons C, F, and G.

post-12902-0-61716400-1413910224_thumb.jpg

Must finish numbering and letting these at some point.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Rob

I've been checking out the large prairie 5153 it seems to be a bit of a favourite of the people in South Hams they named it the South Devon Pheonix when used on the Mortonhampsted line to pull a special in 1962 two years prior to closure see the attched site.

A set of 5153 plates have been ordered for another purchase I made a couple of weeks ago at the WSR gala

www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/mortonhampstead-and-teign-valley-branch.html

What a great site that is and did you spot my pannier,3796, in a few of the photos.I have a colour photo somewhere of the SDP in a Peter Gray book.

• RMweb Gold

Another good find and yes I spotted your pannier, Whitcombe Barton is 4 miles down towards Exeter hence my interest.

BTW Candy brickworks wagons are in the Dapol range must get some.

If you would prefer a kit, POWsides do one of 'Candy & Co. Ltd, Heathfield'

Product no.504

• RMweb Gold

Just had a quick peek at Powsides I think SWMBO might run to 1/2 doz diferent ones for a Christmas prezzy, they are £11.50 a hit now.

I'm not 100% sure but the newer kits use the Parkside 5 or 7 plank as the basis.These are much better quality than the old Slaters bits they used.They should be for the money.

Rob

I've been checking out the large prairie 5153 it seems to be a bit of a favourite of the people in South Hams they named it the South Devon Pheonix when used on the Mortonhampsted line to pull a special in 1962 two years prior to closure see the attched site.

A set of 5153 plates have been ordered for another purchase I made a couple of weeks ago at the WSR gala

Why were the good people of South Hams getting worked up about something that happened on the wrong side of the A38?!? :scratchhead:

Ducking for cover. 

Confused of Donegal

It comes down to a matter of personal choice at the end of the day, but it is annoying some members have blinkers and only see their way of doing things and like to shout down anything that goes against them that what P1sses me of with this web site its full of them.

RANT OVER.

Okay, looking back at my original posting I was a bit over the top with my criticism of using brake fluid for decal removal. I have no wish to start a dispute. As you said each to their own.

Fine Grade wet and dry paper is widely available at car accessory stores. Bachmann numbers tend to 'fall off', Hornby do at least apply a little varnish to provide a little more of a challenge.

Glenn

• Like 2

Rob

I've been checking out the large prairie 5153 it seems to be a bit of a favourite of the people in South Hams  Devon they named it the South Devon Pheonix when used on the Mortonhampsted line to pull a special in 1962 two years prior to closure see the attched site.

A photo of 5153 all bulled up appears on the front of Peter Gray's book "West Country Branch Lines: A Colour Portfolio".  It is hauling the Kingswear portion of the 2.30 pm from Paddington in March 1962 with that rarity in South Devon, a B set, on the front and two chocolate and cream coaches on the back.  The latter are said to be conveying Princess Margaret.  I've an idea that this is not the only time this loco hauled Royalty.  Perhaps if HRH had ever visited Brent ...

Oh, and thanks for posting the link.  It will also be useful to the RMwebber who was asking about wagons on the Moreton branch a few weeks back.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A photo of 5153 all bulled up appears on the front of Peter Gray's book "West Country Branch Lines: A Colour Portfolio".  It is hauling the Kingswear portion of the 2.30 pm from Paddington in March 1962 with that rarity in South Devon, a B set, on the front and two chocolate and cream coaches on the back.  The latter are said to be conveying Princess Margaret.  I've an idea that this is not the only time this loco hauled Royalty.  Perhaps if HRH had ever visited Brent ...

Oh, and thanks for posting the link.  It will also be useful to the RMwebber who was asking about wagons on the Moreton branch a few weeks back.

Chris

I now have visions of that nice Mr Sweet providing a model of said royal lady sitting on the Down platform seat at Brent chatting with a couple of well known local ladies while waiting for her connection down the branch ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I now have visions of that nice Mr Sweet providing a model of said royal lady sitting on the Down platform seat at Brent chatting with a couple of well known local ladies while waiting for her connection down the branch ...

That scene would be just like when her Majesty met Annie Walker of the Rover's Return public house in the 70s.She would have to curtsey to Minnie Finching ! :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I now have visions of that nice Mr Sweet providing a model of said royal lady sitting on the Down platform seat at Brent chatting

I thought Brent was one of those places that the royals drew the curtains on the Royal Train as they passed.... :jester:

This figure from a controversial newly launched range might serve as a starting point, although some early reviewers have criticised the general proportions of the figure and the rather featureless head.

post-9751-0-72521300-1413988908.jpg

The next exhibit I came across was called "Bulleid" - the prominent chain drive clearly indicates that it is constructed from the leftovers of the sectioned NRM Merchant Navy locomotive.

post-9751-0-63454800-1413988964.jpg

Speaking of the NRM, last week it was good to see a proper locomotive overseeing proceedings from the turntable once again.

post-9751-0-19147400-1413989011_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Nice to see City of Truro again.Is that a hint for the weekends photoshoot and did you enjoy your visit to NRM ? She would look good with those siphons.

Might be - you can never have too much of City of Truro.

Enjoyed the NRM as usual, and SWMBO was much taken by the "Warehouse" this time for some reason.

Also managed a round trip to Whitby on the NYMR, but they seemed to be having terrible trouble with several motive power failures last week.

5029 was partially hidden behind other stuff, but was apparently in service the day after our visit - that would have been better than the Q6 and Rat that we had.

Watercress Railway Gala Friday 4 Jeremy Hoskin engines present will ride all of them 92212 5029 4270 6960 and 1450+auto coach if the queue is not too long.

The Airfix Prairies are worth getting I've yet to pay more than £20 for one + £20 on super detail parts jobs a godun, I think 6 is enough.

Which 'super detail' parts do you use - I fancy having a go at one/ several (!) of the Airfix prairies?

According to this site, http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part255/Part33/Part02/index.html, the four different panniers to work the line were 2062, 3796, 9633, 9678. Scroll down to slide 57 which appears to show an unidentified pannier arriving at Gara Bridge.

Harking back to this previous post of mine, I was looking through various sites on the Kingsbridge branch and found this short video from the Railway Roundabout series. It shows the camping coaches at Gara Bridge, but what is interesting are the two pannier tanks that appear in it. One shot looks remarkably like the photograph, slide 57, in my link above.

http://youtu.be/v5UT0Khrqqc

[Edited to correct spelling mistakes. Well it was typed at 4.50 in the morning]

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 7

A respray(RailMatch), crew(Masterpiece), new handrails (Romford), new pony truck wheels(Romford), dummy coupling hooks(out of the spares box), glass in cab windows(clear Plasticard), lamps(Springside), the odd fire iron(Dart Castings), real coal, rail guards on the pony trucks(brass scraps), roundels and buffer beam numbers(HMRS). :swoon:

Have fun.

Thank you.

Apart from the respray nothing that looks to hard to do.

• RMweb Gold

Harking back to this previous post of mine, I was looking through various sites on the Kingsbridge branch and found this short video from the Railway Roundabout series. It shows the camping coaches at Gara Bridge, but what is interesting are the two pannier tanks that appear in it. One shot looks remarkably like the photograph, slide 57, in my link above.

http://youtu.be/v5UT0Khrqqc

[Edited to correct spelling mistakes. Well it was typed at 4.50 in the morning]

Although I've seen it before that's a cracking video of innocent times and probably happy days in the 50s/60s.I reckon that was a 57xx on that train.

• Like 2