A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Please be gentle.

attachicon.gifDSCN3697.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3698.jpg

Rob, SWMBO has accidently seen these beach pics (sorry), she said:

"That end of the beach looks more like the remains of a hastily improvised tank trap with the three "vertical" faces in succession than a family friendly beach. It just needs a pill-box/gun emplacement to sweep the rest of the beach."

I had no inkling that my wife was an expert in improvised beach military defence works until now. :jester:

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, SWMBO has accidently seen these beach pics (sorry), she said:

"That end of the beach looks more like the remains of hastily constructed tank trap with the three "vertical" faces in succession than a family friendly beach. It just needs a pill-box/gun emplacement to sweep the rest of the beach."

I had no inkling that my wife was an expert in improvised beach military defence works until now. :jester:

You better send her around to do a proper job on it then otherwise it will become the never seen scene on ANTB !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You better send her around to do a proper job on it then otherwise it will become the never seen scene on ANTB !

The Mrs Mainwaring of the modelling world ?...............

Rob

• RMweb Gold

The Mrs Mainwaring of the modelling world ?...............

Rob

I re read this and realise that even by my standards this was a bit obscure.

If we recall, Mrs Main waring was often referred to, spoken to on the phone and even spoken to through doorways but never seen in the entire run of Dad's Army.

One of the many great comedy moments in a great series that my 10yr old son now demands to watch.

Timeless.

Rob

The Wizard.

I still have the Locomotive Sticker Books with the stickers, that were given with the Wizard around 1960. I also remember a story called (I think) 'The Little Red Book'.

Is this the one?

post-9751-0-54227100-1403870205.png

The Google translation of the front cover approximates to:

" A Nod to Brent - the REvolution of the People's Favourite GWR Layout - a Chinese perspective" by M. Zedong.

Sounds a bit of a dull read to me ......and I'm told the author is a little dogmatic. 

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Is this the one?

attachicon.gifMao's_Book.PNG

The Google translation of the front cover approximates to:

" A Nod to Brent - the REvolution of the People's Favourite GWR Layout - a Chinese perspective" by M. Zedong.

Sounds a bit of a dull read to me ......and I'm told the author is a little dogmatic. 

Is that like K9?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

Is that like K9?

P

Mention of a Doctor Who "character"? ......Rob might need the Tardis tonight to get to Glastonbury by 20.00 hours tonight to see his fave band -  http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules

Edit: The above is a bit wrong as the Tardis will need to travel back to 12.15 earlier today

Review:

"Blondie are still a souped-up monster truck of a band – even if the air-horn has gone a bit wheezy"

Unfortunately, Blondie suffer from that frustrating and fast-spreading affliction of New Waver’s Tonsil – the inability of post-punk-era singers to wallop it out like they used to. At 68, Deborah Harry’s insouciant snarls have shrivelled to frail, stilted wobbles, and she can only manage a shadow of the bellows from Atomic and Call Me, so a good-natured air of anticlimax pervades."

Oh dear.....

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Mention of a Doctor Who "character"? ......Rob might need the Tardis tonight to get to Glastonbury by 20.00 hours tonight to see his fave band -  http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/programmes/schedules

Unfortunately she's 30 odd years older, like me, unless of course she's used the Tardis to get here from the eighties, phwaarrr.

edit for spelling & grammar

Edited by Siberian Snooper

• RMweb Premium

I'm not going to bite.Yet.All I will say is watch and wait and see. ;)

Well Debbie is still looking pretty fit, how much of it is original fitment is difficult to say, but I wouldn't mind being on the inspection team, but even when I was younger, I woz dirty ole man, and I've continued to practice so one day I might get there.

• RMweb Gold

They sounded bl**dy good to me.Really enjoyed it.A question for all you musicians on here.What was that instrument called that's a cross between a keyboard and a guitar that Matt Katz Bohen used on 'Call Me' ? Never seen one before.

• RMweb Premium

They sounded bl**dy good to me.Really enjoyed it.A question for all you musicians on here.What was that instrument called that's a cross between a keyboard and a guitar that Matt Katz Bohen used on 'Call Me' ? Never seen one before.

Hi Rob,

I don't know what the keyboard thingy is but one of the keyboard players had one when I saw the Eagles in May.

SS

It might just be a variation on a "Keytar" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_keytarists although yer man is low profile on "Wiki"

• RMweb Gold

Well Debbie is still looking pretty fit, how much of it is original fitment is difficult to say, but I wouldn't mind being on the inspection team, but even when I was younger, I woz dirty ole man, and I've continued to practice so one day I might get there.

I was going to ask if it's the same old boiler, but then I thought I'd better not...

• Like 1

It might just be a variation on a "Keytar" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_keytarists although yer man is low profile on "Wiki"

There's pics on the Web of Mr Bowen playing what looks to be an AX-7 Midi Keytar made by Roland. I must admit I wasn't observant enough to note what he was playing today, as I was listening for the young lady's vocal performance after that earlier lukewarm revue.

• RMweb Premium

She was a bit sluggish but still sounded OK. her cladding was a bit weird. Quite good for an old bird if a little lumpy in close up.

What I thought was amazing was the lead guitarist....really, really good.

Now bring on Metallica - mainly sounding like a Spam climbing Hemerdon or Dainton.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

She was a bit sluggish but still sounded OK. her cladding was a bit weird. Quite good for an old bird if a little lumpy in close up.

What I thought was amazing was the lead guitarist....really, really good.

Now bring on Metallica - mainly sounding like a Spam climbing Hemerdon or Dainton.

P

That'll be Tommy Kessler.Yes he's excellent.