A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Can I just ask for a little help here?

Have a look at this train in this link 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/14455161466/

In another area we were looking at the third coach which is the only LMS one in the formation (as far as I can see).

However, look at the second coach. Centenary diner by any chance?

Phil

I think the second coach is a Centenary brake composite diagram E150.  I also think that the first three coaches are working locally, probably no further than Exeter, because the Centenary has very restricted route availability and the third coach is a non-corridor..

Chris 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Robin - will we see the APT-E gracing Brent late in 2015? I'm not sure it made it to the South Devon banks, nor even in to the Thames Valley... Might need modellers licence on that.

I think that will be another job for Sierd come the time. :jester:

• Like 1

I think that will be another job for Sierd come the time. :jester:

No time.  Am now working on a Rhino dressed in a orange football shirt playing organ on the Brent Sea Wall. with the Finching sisters dancing on the beach in their bathing costume.... :mail:

Maybe, just maybe I will add a ATP-E in the background.  :locomotive:  

• Like 3

you have all gone mad, mad, mad I tell you as I was reading this blog out to my friend Ruffus, who just happens to be a very rare lesser spotted, invisible, Icelandic dwarf Elephant and he said you were all a bunch of weirdo's, at least Ruffus and I bring a little normality round here.

Edited by paulprice

• RMweb Premium

No time.  Am now working on a Rhino dressed in a orange football shirt playing organ on the Brent Sea Wall. with the Finching sisters dancing on the beach in their bathing costume.... :mail:

Maybe, just maybe I will add a ATP-E in the background.  :locomotive:

It'll make interesting viewing when it's ready for an unsuspecting public and the viewers of this thread.

• RMweb Gold

If we can get back on topic I'm still struggling with how to get people down to the beach.I've installed some steps from the promenade to the new level but I can't see how to do the next piece.Any suggestions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If we can get back on topic I'm still struggling with how to get people down to the beach.I've installed some steps from the promenade to the new level but I can't see how to do the next piece.Any suggestions.

Can we have a virtual site visit by the medium of photography please

I managed to locate my other LMS ramblings from 140 pages ago in case the Angry Duck wants to add them to his "database":

Assuming that you are modelling the final years of the GWR, rather than the Thirties, there is a picture of 3 LMS coaches in GWRJ No41, captioned as c.1947, and pictured at Launceston.

It has LMS No.4347 a Composite (D2117 (1946/47)),a 3rd Class coach with LMS central insignia (D2119 (1946)) and a Brake 3rd (possibly D2123).

Described as a typical LMS 3-coach formation for through North and West services, I assume these coaches were almost brand new at this time and have been borrowed from the carriage sidings at Plymouth.

I think Comet jobs would be needed to accurately reproduce this short rake, as I think the Hornby Staniers are the earlier 1933/34 builds, and Hornby have also neglected to produce the very useful Composite to compliment their 3rd and Brake 3rd.

I know you have the "South Devon" book which gives brief details of the total numbers of (but no details of types of) GWR/LMS coaches used on Cross Country services in Summer 1947 on pp94-95.

Below is the start of my BR interpretation of a three coach ex-LMS formation working the Machester/Liverpool to the West Country circuit using the available Hornby 3rd and Brake 3rd and a couple of cheaply sourced Comet Composites to base it on 1930s Coach Diagrams:

post-9751-0-78714700-1403723478_thumb.jpg

Mogul working the three coach formation past Laminate Wood with the two Hornby coaches nearest the camera.

post-9751-0-25825500-1403724019_thumb.jpg

Comet 60' LMS Composite to Diagram 1925/1969. This one built in 1936 according to the Comet notes - just less than 400 examples built - running numbers 3934-4329. I think I might have got carried away with the roundel and yellow roofline markings but it's due in the workshops eventually for fitting passengers. Rattlecan paint finish turned out well for once.

post-9751-0-54458200-1403723923_thumb.jpg

Comet 57' LMS Composite to Diagram 1903. With hindsight I should probably have sold this kit on as it is an Open Composite, which were rare beasts on the LMS. This is the most numerous Diagram, but still numbers less than 30 in total. Probably for excursion use in future, as I shall keep it as it was the first Comet kit I ever "finished" and was door handle and droplight friendly, unlike a lot of GWR coaches. Rattlecan finish again.

A pre-nationalisation LMS rake could be started using the two Hornby coaches as a jumping off point, as they are to Diagrams with 611 coaches(3rd) and 430 coaches (Brake 3rd) built respectively.

I'm certain they would have got everywhere as long as their axles weren't breaking too often.

The only real issue is matching Hornby's Mud Brown Maroon with another paint finish, unless the Hornby LMS versions have a better finish than Hornby's BR examples.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Can we see a photo of what you've done so far and how much room you have left ?

Rhyl prom has steps let in to the main sea wall, the main flight in line with the railings, ending in a square landing and a few wide steps onto the beach. This option will depend on how wide your existing prom is and whether you have room to insert a stairway.

• RMweb Gold

I think you could use more of the solid based concrete steps, which are buried right into the sand ( as if the sand has hidden the bottom few steps).

Or, a rickety wooden staircase...

In either case, you might need to remove the rocks between the path & wall, so the steps can be fitted tight up to the wall.

• RMweb Gold

In either case, you might need to remove the rocks between the path & wall, so the steps can be fitted tight up to the wall.

I take it you mean the wall on the left on that scenario.

• RMweb Gold

I take it you mean the wall on the left on that scenario.

I think that's right, where the white bits are.

It has to be stone steps, really, anything wooden wouldn't have survived even a mildly irritated sea, let alone a real storm...

• RMweb Gold

There are wooden steps at Perranporth, leading down from the car park on the hill, past the smugglers caves, down to the beach.

Many of the lifeboat ramps were wood, and they last for many years.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think a slipway would work or the steps at the higher levels would have to be ramps to get the boats down.

How about a really simple solution of building the sand and shingle up into the corner so that it's at the level of the bottom step?

• RMweb Gold

There are wooden steps at Perranporth, leading down from the car park on the hill, past the smugglers caves, down to the beach.

Many of the lifeboat ramps were wood, and they last for many years.

Interesting, but wood seems a bit woosy for ANTB... ;)  Something granite seems more in keeping, somehow....

How about a really simple solution of building the sand and shingle up into the corner so that it's at the level of the bottom step?

That would work as long as the tides allowed the sand to stay at that height, in reality beach levels can vary quite considerably, due to tidal and storm action.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That would work as long as the tides allowed the sand to stay at that height, in reality beach levels can vary quite considerably, due to tidal and storm action.

I think it would work in a sheltered corner like that, there are several examples on the Norfolk coast

Edited by colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

I think it would work in a sheltered corner like that, there are several examples on the Norfolk coast

Fair enough for Norfolk, all I can say in respect of the Dawlish/Teignmouth Sea Wall section is that I've seen beach levels vary greatly over the last few years. It's got to be a complex equation of tides, sea conditions, weather patterns etc.

• RMweb Premium

At Broadstairs there is a lift. Now it is quite a modern affair but the original exterior is retained, however the whole thing was a good old Victorian product in your time Rob. I've not seen a lift modelled in this fashion on another layout.

The beach area on ANTB looks very much like it is inside a breakwater and so wouldn't get full blast waves so a lift or wooden steps would be OK IMO.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022