A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Who's the annoying bloke in the bright blue shell suit who keeps getting in the way of all the photos?

o

I don't know but the driver's view from his office window is rather special and he's getting paid too.

Hi Rob,

Picture 4

Bloke in beige cap: "I think you'll find it should have plain GWR green without the lining, different tank side insignia and cast iron number plates. The nameplate is all wrong too..."

Rob: "I'm on the footplate for this run on a 52XX and you're not."

Bloke in the beige cap: "Oh yeah...."

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

Hi All,

It's interesting to note the repair patches on No. 5239's side tanks - I assume (knowing nothing of the history of this loco) that they are the originals? It was quite common - No. 6697 has them too. There is a big 3 piece sort of wrap around patch on the rear of the tank / bunker arrangement too. Its just nice to see a detail like this preserved. It tells us quite a bit about working practices and repair techniques.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

post-9751-0-20014500-1401496480_thumb.jpg

Spectator : "Look a flying saucer hovering over Queen's Park not something you see everyday in Torbay"

Another candidate for inclusion in the "Sweet Galleries Water Tower Photographic Oddities Collection"

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An I allowed off the naughty step yet?

Only if you repeat after me.Churchward was an engineering God and is totally above criticism on any of his works. ;)

Here is 5239 in action without it's new recruit.

post-126-0-22454700-1401527416_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-47290000-1401527442_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-05296400-1401527460_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Love these latest shots Rob. The new scenery is superb, really adds an extra dimension to it all. 

Nice to see the Mogul out too :-)

• RMweb Gold

Love these latest shots Rob. The new scenery is superb, really adds an extra dimension to it all. 

Nice to see the Mogul out too :-)

Who am I to disappoint our Danish friend.So here's a few more of 9319 and the start of my Cockwood Harbour revamp in progress in the foreground. ;) I've never been happy with it.

post-126-0-32636900-1401545090_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-63493200-1401545106_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-44391000-1401545123_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I've never liked my 'water' so I'm having another attempt using tips from here http://nevardmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/pva-water-allan-downes-way.html and also asking the man himself as he's a RMweb member.

This thread is also useful http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/page-157&do=findComment&comment=1468280

This morning I cut a piece of mounting board and fixed it with impact adhesive.I then spread some filler on the edges to give a smooth transition before painting tomorrow.I'm going for a black/green colour to start with.Anyone have any thoughts on this.

post-126-0-13756900-1401546925_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-62304200-1401546941_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-56846100-1401546957_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31930900-1401546973_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

On the colour Rob, isn't it a matter of what you want to represent? If you want shallow water over a beach you need a pale browny yellowy colour even with some ballast in. If you want deeper water your greeny black is good for cold water, and you need a bluey hue for warmer.

PS you are never going to get your sea wall rebuilt to your satisfaction without a 25mm Captain Kernow and some containers.

Edited by colin penfold
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

PS you are never going to get your sea wall rebuilt to your satisfaction without a 25mm Captain Kernow and some containers.

What a great idea Colin.I'll get the 'orange army' to build it for me. :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A 93xx and some lovely brown shirtbutton stock. Just when I had decided to stick with the Edwardian era, you bring up these temptations again. Must resist!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oooooh, do tell!

Something about me recommending that Robin wipe his feet (having been on a coal dust and oil covered footplate) before going home and walking on his very expensive Axminster carpets...

• RMweb Gold

Aah sorry, I missed the disagrees building up on your post. Thought Kev had fallen foul of the froth brigade somewhere.

TBH you should have known a comment like that on here would be poking the bear. Nice one!

• RMweb Premium

Aah sorry, I missed the disagrees building up on your post. Thought Kev had fallen foul of the froth brigade somewhere.

TBH you should have known a comment like that on here would be poking the bear. Nice one!

Just checked - the halo is still in place...