A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I think he could be at either of those two open windows.

What signalman figure are you proposing to use?

Thanks David.The part of signalman Brian Manning will be played by Monty's MSV 58 http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys.php as seen on quite a few layouts.He won't be making an appearance till I've finished the lever frame. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I am really rather inclined to suggest that the signalman should either be cooking sausages on his Baby Belling (or the 1930s equivilent thereof), or sat on the lavatory with the door firmly closed, or perhaps frantically gesticulating out of the window with a red flag, in an attempt to stop the runaway Palethorpes Express...

Failing that, I'd put him in the left-hand end window, purely because I think that's a nice place to stand...

• Like 3

Thanks David.The part of signalman Brian Manning will be played by Monty's MSV 58 http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/montys.php as seen on quite a few layouts.He won't be making an appearance till I've finished the lever frame. ;)

i was half wondering whether you could have double play value from your signalmen, by having the other Monty's signalman with the branch token doing his stuff, but placed on the branch platform face so that they can't both be seen in the same shot?

Having seen the pose of the other signalman he could presumably be positioned outside the box as shown in the photo below of "Barely a glance in the general direction of Brent" a new micro layout portraying Brent after mainline track rationalisation but with the Kingsbridge Branch still open and curving away sharply under the signal box.

post-9751-0-19575700-1400617001_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

i was half wondering whether you could have double play value from your signalmen, by having the other Monty's signalman with the branch token doing his stuff, but placed on the branch platform face so that they can't both be seen in the same shot?

Having seen the pose of the other signalman he could presumably be positioned outside the box as shown in the photo below of "Barely a glance in the general direction of Brent" a new micro layout portraying Brent after mainline track rationalisation but with the Kingsbridge Branch still open and curving away sharply under the signal box.

attachicon.gifbarely a glance at brent.jpg

You been visiting Spams Pencarrow thread and seen his Brio track plan haven't you. :jester:

That's a nice phrase though.'double play value' ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You been visiting Spams Pencarrow thread and seen his Brio track plan haven't you. :jester:

That's a nice phrase though.'double play value' ;)

Nice to see detailed modelling with Brio catching on.

• RMweb Gold

How about cutting hair? I know from examples on the dear old S&D that more than a few signal men trimmed the odd barnet in between duties....even plucked the odd pheasant...

(I'm not going there.....)

Rob

• RMweb Gold

How about cutting hair? I know from examples on the dear old S&D that more than a few signal men trimmed the odd barnet in between duties....even plucked the odd pheasant...

(I'm not going there.....)

Rob

Barnet? That's LNER! Rinse your mouth!

I certainly seemed to know some signalmen who were pheasant pluckers, and a small minority who were peppery or even just plain nasty, especially when under pressure. One I recall shouting down the phone at me in my Control days "The line's blocked, blocked! D'you understand?" Not many months afterwards he was found dead in his bath....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I certainly seemed to know some signalmen who were pheasant pluckers, and a small minority who were peppery or even just plain nasty, especially when under pressure. One I recall shouting down the phone at me in my Control days "The line's blocked, blocked! D'you understand?" Not many months afterwards he was found dead in his bath....

That's a bit of a coincidence Dudders............................... Anyway, how many boxes had baths then?

P

• RMweb Gold

Remind me never to shout down the phone at you..... :no:

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Ian, you took discipline seriously when you were on control.

• RMweb Gold

Nice item currently on ebay that makes my effort look pathetic.Wheres Brian Manning when I need him. :no:

Is it worth the price ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-WESTERN-RAILWAYS-SIGNAL-BOX-LEVERS-X-24-FOR-RESTORATION-/141294609012?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item20e5d0a274

That's over £100 per lever - sounds like a bit of a rip-off to me although I realise that prices have risen since my associates bought a complete signalbox for less than that back in the late 1980s (plus parts of another lever frame and sundry other bits & bobs).

Nice item currently on ebay that makes my effort look pathetic.Wheres Brian Manning when I need him. :no:

Is it worth the price ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-WESTERN-RAILWAYS-SIGNAL-BOX-LEVERS-X-24-FOR-RESTORATION-/141294609012?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item20e5d0a274

Is it worth the price - I dunno - but I see the seller's name is "billynomates".....might be a clue?...................

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Anyway as it's a Wednesday it's market day and here we see the cattle dock bursting with activity. ;) Also in this view is the other window possibility for the posed signalman.

post-126-0-95487400-1400694127_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Anyway as it's a Wednesday it's market day and here we see the cattle dock bursting with activity. ;) Also in this view is the other window possibility for the posed signalman.

attachicon.gifDSCN3438.jpg

Yes he can keep an eye on that aggressive Rhino in the far pen - he's already damaged one of the cattle pen posts.

• RMweb Gold

- he's already damaged one of the cattle pen posts.

That was me. :O Easily sorted.Have some more as a kind of a present to you all from swmbo as she purchased her.

post-126-0-40223000-1400695173_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-48089000-1400695190_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-97874400-1400695203_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-57937900-1400695215_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Rob, whilst we are on the signal box - do you know when was it rebuilt with the brick base and new windows?

Not long after 1947 if I remember and definitely early 50s.It may have been around the same time as they replaced the original bow-sprung bridge with what's still in situ today.I actually prefer the box as I've modelled it to the new brick base version that was installed.

• Like 1