A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A Middy Compo just east of Exeter - blimey. You been to the pub at lunchtime David?

Anyhow, that info on the LMS coaches is really useful; I think LMS coaches used through Brent might have been discussed at some length about 100 pages ago?

P

In that case we better re-discuss them as David is planning our 2015/16 building program. :O

• RMweb Premium

Rob, can I check on some details on a Centenary Restaurant First please? The blank door is at the Pantry end isn't it?

Nice coaches the Centenary kits, but an interetsing build as you know.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Rob, can I check on some details on a Centenary Restaurant First please? The blank door is at the Pantry end isn't it?

Phil

This might help you Phil. ;)

post-126-0-49266900-1399919174_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Final photo for today shews the train on the up line leaving Tigley Junction behind.

attachicon.gifDSCN3376.jpg

Those of a certain age may remember the Jackson-Evans range of cast and etched items.They are still available ,now under a new name and here is the GW fallplate from the range that I use on my tender engines.Easily cut to size with sharp scissors and excellent value for only £1.50 each.

attachicon.gifDSCN3367.jpg

Where do you get them from?

• RMweb Gold

Rob

Looking at your H43 I've a lot of bits to buy of Geoff to finish off  the roof I'm glad I've staled building it I knew something was missing.  :O

Hope Geoff has them at Expo EM

The roof on that kit is very well detailed and as such took quite long to complete.Apart from vents and toilet fillers there are a couple of longish handrails.The H44 kit isn't available any more but you should be able to get the bits for the roof.The H43 kit is still available from Comet.

Where do you get them from?

See post 4060 Rich.

Edited by gwrrob

Phil

Hi Phil,

If you or anyone else needs any information about this type of coach I can get to the last surviving example of Dia. H43 to answer any questions...

PM me with any requests!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

It might be worth checking the windows on C69 to see if they are a near match to the H44.

Does this help you Bob ?

C69

post-126-0-36646100-1399926270_thumb.jpg

H44

post-126-0-65032100-1399926291_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

In that case we better re-discuss them as David is planning our 2015/16 building program. :O

I've found out, if you can't source a David Geen or similar kit for a GWR C32 Toplight coach(No 2578), which was one of the GWR coaches in my "LMS" train above at # 4054, that the real '2578' still exists. It is apparently stored on the West Somerset Railway and is to be eventually restored as part of their Toplight train.

So there will be plenty of time for a laser scanning and measuring trip before 2016 :jester:

post-9751-0-00277200-1399928390.jpg

The coach was apparently withdrawn in 1956 and then converted to a camping coach and renumbered to 9889 . It was sited at Marazion, St Agnes and finally Blue Anchor.

Edit : added photo

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Strewth - an elephant-mounted canon! You don't see those often in the South Devon badlands!

Does anyone on this thread go to work during the day.I come home to feel like I've missed the Guns of Naverone. :jester: Can we get back on topic now please.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone on this thread go to work during the day.I come home to feel like I've missed the Guns of Naverone. :jester: Can we get back on topic now please.

Yes, but Robin, have you not heard of the Legend of the Ghost Rogue Elephant of Didworthy Beacon?

They do say, that in the light of the full moon, when the wind is still and in the silent small hours of the Dartmoor night, that the mournful trumpeting call of a long-deceased escaped elephant can be heard echoing round the higher slopes of the Moor...

The story goes that Fanny (for that was the elephant's name) was being transported during the early years of Edward VII's reign to live in the private zoological collection of Major Horace Cuthbertson of Lutton Manor. Major Cuthbertson was, of course, a cousin of Lord Arkwright. When the goods train that conveyed her specially-modified wagon arrived at Brent, old Ebeneezer 'Banger' Jarvis, a shunter on loan from Newton Abbot goods yard, accidentally handsignalled the 850 class loco too heavily onto the buffer stops, with the result that the doors on the van crashed open, allowing Fanny to escape up the lane towards Shipley Bridge....

She was never seen alive again, but her tuskless body was found six months later high up beyond the Beacon, with evidence of gunshot wounds, possibly inflicted by the blunderbuss of Archie Horrabridge-Fanshawe, a notorious big game hunter from Cornwood, recently returned to England after an infamous career in Bangalore... Horrabridge-Fanshawe always denied causing Fanny's demise, despite being a known collector of ivory-handled soup spoons...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Somehow I don't think the craftsmanship/clever button quite covers that CK.Magical. :locomotive:

How's the return to 'on topic' going Rob??

Edit: BTW, what is the topic we're supposed to be back on???

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but Robin, have you not heard of the Legend of the Ghost Rogue Elephant of Didworthy Beacon?

They do say, that in the light of the full moon, when the wind is still and in the silent small hours of the Dartmoor night, that the mournful trumpeting call of a long-deceased escaped elephant can be heard echoing round the higher slopes of the Moor...

The story goes that Fanny (for that was the elephant's name) was being transported during the early years of Edward VII's reign to live in the private zoological collection of Major Horace Cuthbertson of Lutton Manor. Major Cuthbertson was, of course, a cousin of Lord Arkwright. When the goods train that conveyed her specially-modified wagon arrived at Brent, old Ebeneezer 'Banger' Jarvis, a shunter on loan from Newton Abbot goods yard, accidentally handsignalled the 850 class loco too heavily onto the buffer stops, with the result that the doors on the van crashed open, allowing Fanny to escape up the lane towards Shipley Bridge....

She was never seen alive again, but her tuskless body was found six months later high up beyond the Beacon, with evidence of gunshot wounds, possibly inflicted by the blunderbuss of Archie Horrabridge-Fanshawe, a notorious big game hunter from Cornwood, recently returned to England after an infamous career in Bangalore... Horrabridge-Fanshawe always denied causing Fanny's demise, despite being a known collector of ivory-handled soup spoons...

CK,

Are the reports you write for work equally entertaining and fact-based??

• RMweb Gold

How's the return to 'on topic' going Rob??

Edit: BTW, what is the topic we're supposed to be back on???

OK then.A view from the overbridge.

How about a unidentified Castle on a longish train consisting of several Colletts and an extra siphon g for Bob [81C]. ;)

post-126-0-61492700-1400001581.jpg

post-126-0-81237500-1400001613.jpg

post-126-0-74646800-1400001626.jpg

• Like 15