A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that was what we passed at Exeter this morning 0 didn't make much noise when it left (although i was sitting in an HST coach with the windows shut) but it looked to get away very smartly.

I must have passed you as I walked along to the London-end of Platform 4, Mike, to join 1Z52 from Exeter to Plymouth!

• RMweb Gold

And here - especially for Robin, is a view taken from 1Z52 as the train approached Brent - note the Up service about to come round the corner as well:

post-57-0-07539900-1399793737.jpg

And here's a slightly earlier view, approaching Totnes, because the previous photo didn't actually have the 'Western' in shot!

post-57-0-33368100-1399793769.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

When we got to Plymouth, those of us acting an in 'official capacity' retired to a meeting room to discuss the forthcoming return steam leg from Plymouth to Bristol. When we emerged, a stroll up to the London-end of Plymouth station found that 'Earl of Mount Edgcombe' had come off Laira with it's support coach and the water-carrying GUV, and was waiting in the middle road for the Western-hauled portion of the trip to depart at 1430 hrs:

post-57-0-97960000-1399793907.jpg

And finally, for now, this is the shot I was planning for you, Robin, as 5043 storms through Brent with 8 on, as she breaks Clun Castle's record of 50 years ago!

post-57-0-93736500-1399793985.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much CK and it would have been nice to have done that trip myself.I did the King to Kingswear trip many years ago with Vintage Trains.Leaving Snow Hill with an early start.We returned home at 4 in the morning the next day.It's a long story.

The permanent way looks very good too and I'm sure Augustus Snodgrass would have approved. ;)

I see the signal box is still alive.Just.

• Like 1

Shock.Horror.ANTB in five coach train scandal ! Seen leaving the fiddle yard this afternoon.A train comprising five,yes I said 5 Collett coaches. :no:

Now that the coaching situation has moved from famine to surfeit in one fell swoop, can we expect the sight of a Third and a Brake Compo being detached at Brent for Kingsbridge?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that the coaching situation has moved from famine to surfeit in one fell swoop, can we expect the sight of a Third and a Brake Compo being detached at Brent for Kingsbridge?

Probably David but I've just been using some Plastic Weld on some nem type couplings in the hope I could use the Bachmann flexible pipe coupling between them.More anon with photos as it looks promising.

post-57-0-97960000-1399793907.jpg

SWOON..........and I've just noticed the buffers.

P

Now they are classy.

• RMweb Premium
And finally, for now, this is the shot I was planning for you, Robin, as 5043 storms through Brent with 8 on, as she breaks Clun Castle's record of 50 years ago!

I'm told she didn't exactly storm up Hemerdon!

• RMweb Premium

I'm told she didn't exactly storm up Hemerdon!

Maybe not, but she did not lose time and the crew were seemingly very canny not wanting to blow the fire out of the chimney on a 'cold' loco working on its own with eight on.

P

• RMweb Premium

Maybe not, but she did not lose time and the crew were seemingly very canny not wanting to blow the fire out of the chimney on a 'cold' loco working on its own with eight on.

P

Indeed she made up time; it was a commendable run.

• RMweb Gold

I must have passed you as I walked along to the London-end of Platform 4, Mike, to join 1Z52 from Exeter to Plymouth!

I think not Cap'n as the 'Riviera' was in reverse formation hence I was at the west end of the train.  But you definitely would have passed me as 1Z52 departed although I was seated on the Up side alas (and I did keep an eye out in case you were around).

• RMweb Gold

Did any steam locomotive storm up Hemerdon, I don't think so.

Don't I recall that even Kerosene Castle on test had to have two goes, the flame in the combustion chamber having gone out on the first? Where did I get that from? No idea!

• RMweb Gold

Not been a very productive day but Captain Kernow will be glad there was a helicopter on hand to film his record breaking run.Here it is storming through Brent. ;)

post-126-0-92085700-1399826739_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-28874400-1399826756_thumb.jpg

I managed to catch it from the down platform too. :jester:

post-126-0-23639000-1399826770_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Last time I was steam hauled up Hemerdon, it was by a D.C'y Castle in '63 I think so one of the last. It was down to walking pace at the summit but what a noise.........Not sure what the weight limit was/is up there; probably eight and so that's why 43 was 'on her own' yesterday. Very generous of N Rail to allow that.

P

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was steam hauled up Hemerdon, it was by a D.C'y Castle in '63 I think so one of the last. It was down to walking pace at the summit but what a noise.........Not sure what the weight limit was/is up there; probably eight and so that's why 43 was 'on her own' yesterday. Very generous of N Rail to allow that.

P

Clever chap, not far out - the unassisted load for a 'Castle' from Plymouth to Hemerdon was 315 tons on standard timings.

• RMweb Premium

Well, she didn't do too badly, I estimated the speed at the top was between 25 mph - 30 mph... and she didn't 'arf go later on, too!

My informant guessed 5 on the bank from the train ; as you say, it went much faster later when he was pushing the big red lever in the cab.

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by Bishop of Welchester

Rob,whilst looking for something else, I stumbled across an article entitled "A Stoke Canon Incident" in GWRJ No24. As the "Incident" took place in late 1946, I thought it might be useful to include the details of the train formation on this thread, as the individual coach numbers of several LMS coaches are included.The LMS coaches detailed may have passed through Brent several/many times in 1946 (possibly 1947?), if they were on a repeating coaching circuit.

A "minor" accident occurred at Stoke Canon two miles north of Cowley Bridge Junction at 10.29 p.m. on 16 September 1946, involving the 4.50 p.m Penzance-Crewe service after LMS Compo No 4122 broke an axle causing a derailment and damage to the track and last three coaches of the train.

Train formation was:

Engines: 4935 Ketley Hall & 4925 Eynsham Hall

Coach Type/No                                         Diagram/Date                                Destination                         RTR/Kit

1.   GW Corridor Third No.2578                       C32 Multibar Toplight (1914)     Plymouth- Bristol

2.   LMS Brake Van No.32829                             ?????????????                     Penzance-Manchester

3.   LMS Corr. Third No. 2858                             ?????????????                     Penzance-Manchester

4.   LMS Corr. Third No. 1952                          D1899 (1936)                            Penzance-Manchester            Hornby/Comet

5.   LMS Corr. Brake Compo No 6765             D1720A? (1940)                        Penzance-Manchester            Comet

6.   LMS Corr. Third No. 1873                          D1899 (1935)                            Penzance-Manchester            Hornby/Comet

7.   LMS Corr. Third No. 3637                          D1694 (1926)                            Penzance-Manchester            Comet

8.   LMS Corr Van Third No. 5880                   D1905  (1936)                           Penzance-Manchester            Hornby/Comet

9.   LMS Brake Van No. 191                               ????????????                       Penzance-Manchester

10. LMS Brake Van No, 30974                        D2007 (1938)                            Plymouth-Manchester             Comet

11. LMS Corr. Compo No.4122                       D1969 (1937)                            Plymouth-Manchester             Comet

12. GW Corr. Third No.3931                           C32 Multibar Toplight(1914)      Plymouth-Manchester

13. GW Brake Van No. 117                             K41 (1934)                                Plymouth-Sheffield

14. LMS Parcels Van No. 37700                                                                       Exeter-Sheffield

I've made a start trying to identify the coach diagrams and seeing  what is available either in RTR or kit form. Looks as if two of the Hornby Stanier coaches could be a starting point for a "representative" train, but probably something to consider for 2015/16 at the earliest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A Middy Compo just east of Exeter - blimey. You been to the pub at lunchtime David?

Anyhow, that info on the LMS coaches is really useful; I think LMS coaches used through Brent might have been discussed at some length about 100 pages ago?

P

• RMweb Gold

How services have changed! That train is 4.50 p.m. from Penzance, coming to grief at 10.29 p.m., with an awful long way to go. It must have been due in Manchester many hours later, and Sheffield some time after that - yet not a sleeper in sight.

Probably David but I've just been using some Plastic Weld on some nem type couplings in the hope I could use the Bachmann flexible pipe coupling between them.More anon with photos as it looks promising.

Now they are classy.

Does that mean we've got to try and imitate this on all our stock now !!! Good luck with photoshopping !?! Ha ha

Refers to CK's photo of the buffer insignia

Edited by bgman

Hi Rob, any chance of a link to where these parts are available?

Those of a certain age may remember the Jackson-Evans range of cast and etched items.They are still available ,now under a new name and here is the GW fallplate from the range that I use on my tender engines.Easily cut to size with sharp scissors and excellent value for only £1.50 each.

attachicon.gifDSCN3367.jpg

How services have changed! That train is 4.50 p.m. from Penzance, coming to grief at 10.29 p.m., with an awful long way to go. It must have been due in Manchester many hours later, and Sheffield some time after that - yet not a sleeper in sight.

Per "Operation Cornwall" (XPressPublishing), the 1957 "version" of this train was timetabled to arrive  at Manchester London Rd.at 06.18 a.m., but it does seem to have acquired a single Composite Sleeping Coach during the intervening years. 

They surely were very hardy souls back in 1946 - 17 First Class and 224 Third Class passengers were on board at the time of accident, but there were no injuries to or complaints from the passengers, although one of the guards had to restrain some sailors who were about to climb out onto the track to see what had happened. 

The front undamaged ten coaches of the  train continued on their journey northwards at 1.05 a.m. - 123 minutes late.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, any chance of a link to where these parts are available?

Those of a certain age may remember the Jackson-Evans range of cast and etched items.They are still available ,now under a new name and here is the GW fallplate from the range that I use on my tender engines.Easily cut to size with sharp scissors and excellent value for only £1.50 each.

attachicon.gifDSCN3367.jpg

They're  available from this shop here.http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/shops/136-ClassicTrain&MotorBus

However as I'm likely to be visiting him in the next fortnight I may be buying his remainder of this fallplate.If he has several I would be prepared to post one to anyone who requires one if they ask by pm.